PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Having Battery Problems?

CanuckG8
08-04-2010, 12:52 PM
Hello,

I purchased my 2009 G8 V6 brand new in June/09 and have only driven it 4000 miles since new. It is always garage kept and sat this entire last winter in my heated garage so it's never seen snow. I would usually start it up once a week throught winter and I never had any problems. Have been driving it all summer with no problems.

I just went on a weeks vacation and left the car at home. When I returned and went to start it the battery was completely dead. Not a click - nothinng. It would not even let me pull the key out of the ignition - just locked it in. Could not open the trunk with the glovebox located button nor with my keyfob and there is no keyhole either Luckily, the windows were open and I was able open the hood to charge the battery via the remote positive & negative posts located in the engine compartment. Now my Onstar Backup battery Red light is also coming on telling me that the battery needs replaced. Funny that this is all happening at the same time.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced a battery problem like this? Can't seem to find any TSB's on this.

Thanks!

Chewy
08-04-2010, 01:03 PM
Yep! Remember that they are constantly pulling power sitting still.

Some others have had Onstar battery issues as well.

These batts were poo from the beginning if you ask me. They're NOT cheap either. Sears can get them.

Oh and to open the trunk, you open the rear hatch in the rear seat and grab the glow in the dark handle that's right there and pull.

jaxredg8
08-04-2010, 04:59 PM
I had a battery go dead but mine was because I left the bottle heater on..... Doh!

DRCUSTOMPARTS
08-04-2010, 05:14 PM
Were you able to get the battery to hold a charge?

CanuckG8
08-05-2010, 06:54 AM
Were you able to get the battery to hold a charge?

It seems to be holding a charge as it has been starting okay every morning for the last 4 days of driving. I'm just worried that it will eventually let me down again in the future. I actually took it in to GM today for Service Work and am hoping that they will replace it. GM told me that if a particular Error Code shows up they will replace the battery. As for the Back-Up On-Star battery, I will have to see what they find.

Thanks!

CanuckG8
08-05-2010, 06:55 AM
Yep! Remember that they are constantly pulling power sitting still.

Some others have had Onstar battery issues as well.

These batts were poo from the beginning if you ask me. They're NOT cheap either. Sears can get them.

Oh and to open the trunk, you open the rear hatch in the rear seat and grab the glow in the dark handle that's right there and pull.

Thanks 4GASEM for the info.. Stupid me - I totally forgot about the pull handle in the rear seat hatch for opening the trunk - thanks for the reminder!

krewsman
08-08-2010, 02:18 PM
Mine sits more than it drives too. I bought it just over a year ago, and right now has only about 7300 miles. The OnStar backup battery was replaced last August under warranty--apparently there were a rash of these that were either defective or old (car build date is July 2008 on my 09.1). Then I had complained to my dealer of slow cranking and dim lights at idle, they checked alternator output and cleaned/ tightened connections--in Engineering Mode the battery charge was never more than about 55-60% so just for fun I bought a battery tender (can I say Deltran on here?) & plug it in whenever it's in the garage. .75-1 amp maintenance charge keeps everything up to snuff with no worries about overcharging. Get one of the good ones that automatically keep track of the battery's state of charge, not just a normal battery charger or trickle charger. Now I read 85-90% state of charge and no more dimness! Hmmm, there's a joke there that some may jump on...

CanuckG8
08-09-2010, 06:00 AM
Thanks for the advice krewsman. I had the car in to GM last week and they told me that there was no Error Code showing so they could do nothing with my battery - yet it was as dead as can be earlier. Has been starting okay now but we'll see what happens next time it sits for a few days. They have my On-Star Back-up Battery on order as it needs replaced. Everything seems to take longer parts wise as I live in Canada and most parts still have to come from the States. I will have to check my Charging Rate in Engineering Mode to see where it's at. Sounds like a Battery Tender may be a good investment.

Mine sits more than it drives too. I bought it just over a year ago, and right now has only about 7300 miles. The OnStar backup battery was replaced last August under warranty--apparently there were a rash of these that were either defective or old (car build date is July 2008 on my 09.1). Then I had complained to my dealer of slow cranking and dim lights at idle, they checked alternator output and cleaned/ tightened connections--in Engineering Mode the battery charge was never more than about 55-60% so just for fun I bought a battery tender (can I say Deltran on here?) & plug it in whenever it's in the garage. .75-1 amp maintenance charge keeps everything up to snuff with no worries about overcharging. Get one of the good ones that automatically keep track of the battery's state of charge, not just a normal battery charger or trickle charger. Now I read 85-90% state of charge and no more dimness! Hmmm, there's a joke there that some may jump on...

Chewy
08-09-2010, 06:44 AM
I use 3 Deltran Battery Tender Jr's all year long on my two bikes and my truck that sits more than drives. I have the ORIGINAL battery in my 1998 F150 4x4 which I bought new in the fall of 1997.

IMO the Deltran is WELL worth the 30 bucks they cost.

Chris

jcmGT
08-09-2010, 08:24 AM
another option is one of the smart chargers. Google: CTEK Multi US 3300 12V Smart Battery Charger or CTEK Multi US 7002 12V Battery Charger
Amazon has that at reasonable prices. FWIW, one comes with every Ferrari (http://www.ctek.com/files/press/pressreleases/FERRARI-PUTS-A-CTEK-BATTERY-CHARGER-IN-EVERY-NEW-CAR_UK.pdf)

FWIW, If I didn't already have a 3 stage charger set-up from my boat, I'd be chasing one of the CTEK units.

pokey
08-09-2010, 09:11 AM
I use the Battery Tender JR, also. Works great! If my G8 will be sitting for a week or more I back the car into the garage and hook up the battery tender. Even with regular driving the Tender needs to charge the battery when hooked up.

Chewy
08-09-2010, 09:51 AM
FYI: The Deltran chargers ARE smart charges...

Gotta love when a car COMES with a charger... lol

Chris

Chewy
08-09-2010, 09:51 AM
FYI: The Deltran chargers ARE smart charges...

Gotta love when a car COMES with a charger... lol

Chris

jcmGT
08-09-2010, 01:35 PM
agreed, doesn't seem right but it's not like there are many Ferrari DD so it does make sense.

jcmGT
08-09-2010, 02:00 PM
ok, here is a linky to some discussion on tender or ctek. linky (http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-forums/x5-e53-forum/60586-bmw-battery-charger-new-one-fyi.html)

read it /browse whatever... more info to make a decision. Seemed both will work, some conversation about the ctek floating higher voltage which *may* be better for the newer batteries.

Gordon Freeman
08-15-2010, 08:33 AM
I checked my car this morning in E-mode and the charge is 70.5% is that okay? When I hook up a charger should I connect it to the battery or under the hood?

thanks…

VQ35DE
08-18-2010, 02:17 AM
I checked my car this morning in E-mode and the charge is 70.5% is that okay? When I hook up a charger should I connect it to the battery or under the hood?

thanks…
I hook mine up under the hood and it does fine.

Gordon Freeman
08-20-2010, 02:42 AM
I hook mine up under the hood and it does fine.

okay VQ35DE thanks for the info....

donk r8
09-08-2010, 02:23 AM
We had this problem in the UK aswell, the dealers have a software upgrade to try and sort it.............................

-Ray-
09-08-2010, 02:38 AM
ok, here is a linky to some discussion on tender or ctek. linky (http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-forums/x5-e53-forum/60586-bmw-battery-charger-new-one-fyi.html)

read it /browse whatever... more info to make a decision. Seemed both will work, some conversation about the ctek floating higher voltage which *may* be better for the newer batteries.

I have the ctek which I use during the Winter. I need G8 decals to add to it now. LOL

EcoBrick Bob
09-08-2010, 08:09 AM
I have disconnected both of my G8's batteries when stored (winter - IA and summer-FL) and have no issues with either ( at least so far). Will say that my Vette and GTO that were stored frequently, both needed new batteries within 4 years. (Vette at 16K and GTO at 11K).

laserred
09-08-2010, 11:35 AM
I know on the "other" board there is a battery swap removing the factory battery and installing a Braille 3121 battery and bracket. This battery provides enough power for our car and has an aluminum bracket, keeping the installation clean. I think pricing will end up just under $220, and will shave probably 40 pounds off the car between the battery and factory steel holddown bracket.