PDA

View Full Version : American Racing Headers or Kooks headers?

Kermit
11-19-2008, 04:58 PM
I have been debating on which headers I should get. With the "sale" of the ARH, they would only be about $50 more than a comparison set of Kooks. Never got a set of headers before and just want to make sure I get the right set.

Did a search and got over 7 pages of "headers". :nud:

Just some opinions would be cool if anyone wants to chime in. I think I'm leaning towards the ARH but it's driving me crazy thinking all over this stuff. :wacko::wacko::wacko:

99-LS1-SS
11-19-2008, 05:03 PM
I don't think you'll go wrong with either. They both make quality parts. Go with which ever one you can find the cheapest.

Steve
11-19-2008, 05:23 PM
arh!

Andy@Livernois
11-19-2008, 06:15 PM
Well, everyone will vary a little bit, but I personally prefer Kooks. Both are good parts, but I have been using Kooks for almost ten years and there stuff rocks...

G8GTlawride
11-19-2008, 07:16 PM
ARH! Great company to deal with. Answers the phone when you call and will be more than happy to walk you through any questions you have. You will like them.

GRRRR8
11-20-2008, 05:18 AM
ARH! Their customer service is by far the best!

99-LS1-SS
11-20-2008, 05:24 AM
My point of view is that when I had my Camaro Kooks made THE best fitting headers for that car. Every other brand I saw or dealt with had clearance issues of some sort. Having said that, if/when I get a set of long tubes for the GXP (assuming they will release the damn thing) I'll probably go with ARH. I just feel like with their support and proven track record with the G8's it will be a smart move.

Tom@ARH
11-20-2008, 09:40 AM
I'm gonna have to say ARH. If you have any questions or anything I can help you with PM me or call the shop 631-608-1986

MANOFSTEEL69
11-20-2008, 10:55 AM
Definately ARH!

Mike@NewEra
11-20-2008, 06:43 PM
We prefer ARH here as well !

TheTugBoat
12-03-2008, 11:43 AM
I'm gonna have to say ARH. If you have any questions or anything I can help you with PM me or call the shop 631-608-1986

hahahaha

g8_795
12-03-2008, 05:47 PM
I can't speak to Kooks but I am very satisfied the the fit, quality, craftsmanship, and sound of the ARH system. It is an excellent product.

Blackdevil77
12-03-2008, 06:57 PM
I just got the ARH full header system installed by them and they come with my absolute highest recommendation. Incredible quality. There is no way you can't love 'em. And the guys over at ARH are simply the best.

RB Designs
12-07-2008, 06:50 AM
ARH.............none better !

jbradsh1
12-07-2008, 04:54 PM
I'm just curious why most prefer ARH? Looking at comparison pictures of both Kooks & ARH it seems like Kooks does a couple of things that ARH does not, for example, the stock flexible sections that bolt up the mufflers, another would be the brace between the straight tube sections. The extra steps they seem to have taken is an indication of added quality, to me. In fact, just looking at pictures of both, the Kooks look higher quality to me, but that's just an impression. But I've learned to pay attention to my impressions. I'd be curious to get some feedback as I'm getting ready to take the plunge and get some LTs. These two brands are the only ones I'm considering. I'm sure they are both excellent headers and probably give pretty much identical performance (seem like an identical design) and because they both come so highly recommended by everyone on this forum that have them!

G8GTlawride
12-07-2008, 05:12 PM
I'm just curious why most prefer ARH? Looking at comparison pictures of both Kooks & ARH it seems like Kooks does a couple of things that ARH does not, for example, the stock flexible sections that bolt up the mufflers, another would be the brace between the straight tube sections. The extra steps they seem to have taken is an indication of added quality, to me. In fact, just looking at pictures of both, the Kooks look higher quality to me, but that's just an impression. But I've learned to pay attention to my impressions. I'd be curious to get some feedback as I'm getting ready to take the plunge and get some LTs. These two brands are the only ones I'm considering. I'm sure they are both excellent headers and probably give pretty much identical performance (seem like an identical design) and because they both come so highly recommended by everyone on this forum that have them!

With the ARH you won't need the flexible coupling. I don't know about Kooks. If you have a problem with anything on the ARH you can talk to the folks who made them. You cannot with kooks. Only the folks who sold them to you. I think you will find that the vast majority who have LT's on this forum have ARH.

wreckwriter
12-07-2008, 05:50 PM
You cannot with kooks. Only the folks who sold them to you.

Bingo

Mike@NewEra
12-07-2008, 07:40 PM
ARH = ON SALE @ www.neweraperformanceparts.com through the holiday season for $1595 also, so take advantage of this if ARH is your choice, this is $200 off!

jbradsh1
12-07-2008, 08:32 PM
Thanks everyone and thanks Mike @ New Era. Good price on the ARH headers. So it seems like the main point that is being made is the accessibility of ARH. Quality is about the same I take it and that makes sense to me. I did call Kooks on Friday and George I believe answered the phone and I had a question which he helped me with by calling Corsa, while I was still on the phone with him, and he talked with one of the Browning family and got my question answered. I thought that was pretty good customer service. I have also talked with ARH although it's been a while and they were as everyone is saying, good customer service, i.e., answering my questions, etc.

-Ray-
12-08-2008, 03:39 AM
With the ARH you won't need the flexible coupling. I don't know about Kooks. If you have a problem with anything on the ARH you can talk to the folks who made them. You cannot with kooks. Only the folks who sold them to you. I think you will find that the vast majority who have LT's on this forum have ARH.

Yep, I've said that already.

Tate
12-08-2008, 03:52 AM
I got my Kooks from VMS and got a great deal on them, very fast shipping and everyone already knows that their customer service is above top notch. Either route you take you will be happy just order the damn things and get them installed, already.
Tate

MANOFSTEEL69
12-08-2008, 04:19 AM

Not true. I have had a couple conversations with George Jr. on the phone and through PMs on the other deal. I have to say they are more than willing to want to make things right with their customers. While true I wasn't happy with the first version of their mufflers, I'm looking forward to trying out the Gen II's.

jbradsh1
12-08-2008, 05:04 AM
Well, I think I've solved this problemacito (small problem). I'll just have whomever is doing the cam install go ahead and install whichever exhaust system they favor. Simple.

MANOFSTEEL69
12-08-2008, 05:13 AM
Well, I think I've solved this problemacito (small problem). I'll just have whomever is doing the cam install go ahead and install whichever exhaust system they favor. Simple.

Careful....That isn't always your best option. Some will sell you the product they make the most profit on, not what is best for your car.:spank: Just make a damn choice and live with it. ARH or Kooks. I love my ARH's and if given the chance to change....I wouldn't.:headbang:

jbradsh1
12-08-2008, 05:57 PM
Careful....That isn't always your best option. Some will sell you the product they make the most profit on, not what is best for your car.:spank: Just make a damn choice and live with it. ARH or Kooks. I love my ARH's and if given the chance to change....I wouldn't.:headbang:

The damn choice is not the problem at the moment. It's my lack of sufficient cash reserves to where I feel comfortable spending the extra loot! I would love to have Livernois pick up my car and take it up to Detroit and install the stage 1 cam and the LTs but alas I don't want to violate (pillage) my bank account any further with Christmas coming up! So it'll have to wait till Springtime. Then you guys will all be in trouble, if we ever get around to planning a regional meet that is!

Kermit
12-09-2008, 04:51 PM
I got my Kooks from VMS and got a great deal on them, very fast shipping and everyone already knows that their customer service is above top notch. Either route you take you will be happy just order the damn things and get them installed, already.
Tate

I have made up my mind to get the kooks. I have a local shop that is getting a group buy on Kooks and the price beats anything I have seen. Other wise I think I would have gone with the ARH's.

Thanks for all the input guys. It did help me make up my mind.

It's A G8!
12-09-2008, 05:31 PM
We should do a group buy on the ARH's. I wonder what kind of discount we can get?

GeorgeInNePa
12-09-2008, 05:32 PM
I have made up my mind to get the kooks. I have a local shop that is getting a group buy on Kooks and the price beats anything I have seen. Other wise I think I would have gone with the ARH's.

A great price trumps all.

;)

jbradsh1
12-09-2008, 06:30 PM

How much and where?

G8GTlawride
12-11-2008, 09:16 AM
Not true. I have had a couple conversations with George Jr. on the phone and through PMs on the other deal. I have to say they are more than willing to want to make things right with their customers. While true I wasn't happy with the first version of their mufflers, I'm looking forward to trying out the Gen II's.

Good to hear that. In posts past, there were issues with direct contact to resolve problems.

wreckwriter
12-11-2008, 09:21 AM

May not have been true for you but it's certainly true at least some of the time- been there done that.

G8GTlawride
12-11-2008, 07:29 PM
May not have been true for you but it's certainly true at least some of the time- been there done that.

Wasn't gonna get into an argument, but...