PDA

View Full Version : Red Line vs Royal Purple - FIGHT!

Eidolon
07-23-2010, 02:05 PM
OK, not really a fight. But I noticed that Greg also sells the G8 oil change kit with Red Line Oil. Any opinions out there on Red Line versus Royal Purple? I'd like to switch out the Mobil1 for a more specialty synthetic.

Also, looking around, I notice that it's been stated that the car should be level for the oil change. I don't have ramps or jack stands for all four wheels, and the car sits too low for me to get under it without lifting it in some fashion. So... Getting it level myself is more or less impossible without spending some coin. Is it going to keep me from a DIY if the car's up on my jack-stands at the lowest possible level? And if I do so, would it be better to jack the car up on a side - left or right - versus just the front or back?

Thanks!

BigRed585Lbs
08-19-2010, 09:01 AM
Be careful.
http://www.gm.com/corporate/responsibility/environment/maintenance/gm_approved_engine_oils.pdf

Eidolon
08-19-2010, 09:20 AM
Be careful.
http://www.gm.com/corporate/responsibility/environment/maintenance/gm_approved_engine_oils.pdf
I'm guessing the use of unapproved lubricants nets me a voided powertrain warranty, right? Thanks much for the heads up.

norm8332
08-19-2010, 09:29 AM
I gotta get me some of that approved wal-mart stuff. lol

BigRed585Lbs
08-19-2010, 09:46 AM
Be Careful.

laserred
08-19-2010, 10:14 AM
So, it looks like the list is formed using donations from the companies on the list, not any empirical evidence as to the suitability or performance of their oil in our engines. Sound about right?

rez0nance
08-19-2010, 11:58 AM
So, it looks like the list is formed using donations from the companies on the list, not any empirical evidence as to the suitability or performance of their oil in our engines. Sound about right?

Sure, and Bigfoot shot Kennedy while faking the moon landing video with the help of the Lochness Monster.

See? It's easy to make up ridiculous and dismissible theories about things that are easily proven as fact otherwise.

Monty
08-19-2010, 12:03 PM
The way I change the oil is: jack up the front and put stands under, then pull the jack out. Remove the plug and filter, jack it back up and take the stands out and set it back down. This let's the rest of the oil drain out. Then I take a fresh qt and pour it through. Start it up for 15 secs shut it off jack it back up and put the plug and new filter on and set it back down. I use Mobil1 and change my oil once a year.

laserred
08-19-2010, 12:17 PM
Sure, and Bigfoot shot Kennedy while faking the moon landing video with the help of the Lochness Monster.

See? It's easy to make up ridiculous and dismissible theories about things that are easily proven as fact otherwise.

That was the whole point- show us the "specs" to meet GM's standard and how they came up with those guidelines, and show us where all of the approved oils ranked against each other. Because, if they are approved oils, they should have been tested and not just gone off the label, right? No ridiculousness, no theories. I like facts, and until I can read how they tested and approved some of those seemingly "questionable" oils, I find some of GM's choices less than savory. All I meant.

norm8332
08-19-2010, 12:21 PM
The way I change the oil is: jack up the front and put stands under, then pull the jack out. Remove the plug and filter, jack it back up and take the stands out and set it back down. This let's the rest of the oil drain out. Then I take a fresh qt and pour it through. Start it up for 15 secs shut it off jack it back up and put the plug and new filter on and set it back down. I use Mobil1 and change my oil once a year.

I highly recommend not starting the car without any oil (or only 1qt) even for 15 secs. Just my opinion.

Greg@PacePerformance
08-19-2010, 12:23 PM
I bet most of the off brands are just re-labeled name brand that is how it is on the list.
Personally I don't worry about it and use what we sell in my engines. Except for the old cars then it is just the cheapest stuff I can find.

justin13703
08-19-2010, 12:49 PM
I used royal purple in my car from the first oil change until last month. I really wasnt that impressed with it. I just started using mobil 1 at 20,000 miles. Im not saying RP is bad or junk, just that I never really saw or noticed any advantages. It also looked like it got really thin after a couple thousand miles.

SRG963
08-19-2010, 01:01 PM
I use Pennzoil Ultra ($5 a quart). Good enough for Ferrari, good enough for me lol

Monty
08-19-2010, 02:07 PM
I highly recommend not starting the car without any oil (or only 1qt) even for 15 secs. Just my opinion.

I know. I don't recommend it unless you know what you are doing. It gets that last bit of oil out. It comes out of where the filter is.

chuckie669
08-19-2010, 02:28 PM
Pennzoil plat here for the past 6 years in my synth run cars. Can get 5qt for good price at wally world. I tried the RP craze back when I first bought my T/a, and you could hear my piston slap (common LS1 thing) bad with RP. PP quietened it down significantly and looked great at the 3k intervals.

Buy what makes you feel good and don't cheap out on the filter. As long as you keep up with service intervals, my belief is that oil is oil...

norm8332
08-19-2010, 05:06 PM
I use RP and my motor is running fine.

DRCUSTOMPARTS
08-19-2010, 05:13 PM
Starting the engine with one quart of oil can be very harmful. I have been around cars and motorcycles for 40 years and I have never heard of anyone doing that. The little bit of oil that's left gets mixed with all the new oil, so it's not necessary to remove every last bit of the old oil.

jeff
08-19-2010, 05:21 PM
+1 . I have never heard of anything like this.I thought Monty was just joking.It sounds very risky to me.JMO

hulkss
08-19-2010, 06:57 PM

Are you really starting the car with no oil in the pan? :uhm:
You will pull air into the oil pump. It will run without pressure as it re-primes itself on the next start.
Not good at all for your engine.

texn884
09-05-2010, 06:56 PM
I am trying Royal Purple over Amsoil this oil change. I have had great service with Amsoil with my Chevy Colorado and it has almost 382,000 miles on it and runs perfect. I'll give Royal Purple a chance and see if there is any difference.

Mike P
09-06-2010, 12:02 AM
I've been running Valvoline Full Synthetic for the last 2 years, and love it.... But I'm going to do Royal Purple this next change with the Royal Purple 10-48 oil filter.... That's what we use right?

GT-610
09-06-2010, 06:24 AM
make life simple.Use Mobil 1 just like the dealer.The oil will easily outlast your desire to own the car.Done.