PDA

View Full Version : HID upgrade

joseph_99TL
07-21-2010, 02:14 PM
are these projector headlight lenses on my 2009 GT?
just not HID lighting?
i'm confused

Eidolon
07-21-2010, 02:37 PM
Correct.

HID refers to the light produced by the bulb itself. Our cars, stock, come with just halogens, even on the GXP. Additionally, the only exterior lighting that is LED from the factory is the third brakelight.

The front headlights are lensed projectors, however, which focus the beam better than the old plain reflectors.

Blackrider
07-21-2010, 04:16 PM
The projectors in the G8 are still meant for Halogen bulbs, however the do a good enough job focusing the light that you can get away with using HID's in them. All I did was aim mine down by a half turn and in 2 years I have yet to be flashed.

jaxredg8
07-21-2010, 04:18 PM
Many of us have done the HID headlight kit conversion and I for one love mine. Only problem I had was I was burning out ballasts on the drivers side. My 3rd ballast I pulled the DRL fuse have had no problems since (over a year).

joseph_99TL
07-22-2010, 04:40 AM
ok. i understand

piecesparts
10-19-2010, 10:45 AM
To revisit this discussion. I have a set of HIDs from DDT and also their external wiring harness. This is due to the fact that I tried a HID kit from another source and the HIDs flickered a lot, once they were on for a short period. The info that I got from that was that the flickering was due to insufficiect voltage to the ballasts. This was with the headlights turned on and NOT on the DRLs. I have yet to install the lights, basically due to being busy and not getting the time to do this. Any further input on your installs and whehter or not you are using an extra wiring harness.

Bretz56
10-19-2010, 04:11 PM
I get flashed a LOT with the regular factory bulbs. I can't imagine if I had HID's

DRCUSTOMPARTS
10-19-2010, 04:42 PM
Piecesparts I have a generic Ebay HID kit with no wiring harness, and they never flicker and always light up. I pulled the DRL fuse so the ballasts don't come on during the day at reduced power and they have been working flawlessly for almost 2 years now.

Bretz you need to check the aim on your headlights, you shouldn't get flashed with the factory installed halogen bulbs.

Blackrider
10-21-2010, 10:05 PM
Piecesparts I have a generic Ebay HID kit with no wiring harness, and they never flicker and always light up. I pulled the DRL fuse so the ballasts don't come on during the day at reduced power and they have been working flawlessly for almost 2 years now.

Bretz you need to check the aim on your headlights, you shouldn't get flashed with the factory installed halogen bulbs.

What he said!

piecesparts
10-22-2010, 06:50 AM

The first HIDs that I installed was from the 'Autoloc" and they installed easily, but even with just the headlights turned on and the engine running I would get the glittering effect from both bulbs after a couple minutes of operation. I pulled them and we sent them back to the distributor. I now have the new set from DDM and just haven't tried them yet. DDM's troubleshooting section talks about a lack of voltage causing the filickering or glittering effect.

I agree about the flashing of lights, just adjust the headlights, there is a definite cutoff line for the projectors. The adjusters are just behind the headlights and can be done with a phillips or a 6 MM allen wrench.

DRCUSTOMPARTS
10-22-2010, 04:39 PM
Our headlights receive full power when it's dark, but during the day if the DRL's are enabled they receive reduced voltage. So that's why you need to pull the DRL fuse, this will eliminate the low voltage condition so the HID bulbs don't flicker.

piecesparts
10-22-2010, 05:35 PM
Our headlights receive full power when it's dark, but during the day if the DRL's are enabled they receive reduced voltage. So that's why you need to pull the DRL fuse, this will eliminate the low voltage condition so the HID bulbs don't flicker.

As I stated, the other brand of HIDs that I had, flickered with the headlight switch turned on, not on the DRL circuit. That is why we sent them back.

StreetKa
10-16-2013, 05:56 PM
anybody ever thought about upgrading/retrofitting better projectors ? i think stock one has really poor output

-Ray-
10-17-2013, 04:15 AM
Thanks for bumping a 3 year old post. We needed that. :loser: