PDA

View Full Version : Useless remote start...

Mich's04
11-15-2008, 07:07 PM
Well now that winter is coming upon us here in Western NY. We all pretty much have remote starters on our cars to make the inside toasty and the windows thawed. At least thats what 99% of the cars w/remote starters do. Of course ours don't.
The dealer failed to inform us that the G8's w/the single zone climate control does not function unless the key is in the ignition in the on/run position. If we would have know that we would have opted for the dual zone climate control. That one works with the remote start.

So...is there a remedy for this.

J Wikoff
11-15-2008, 07:35 PM
Meh, it only turns on when it is actually freezing outside, according to the car. The other day, I went out, it was clearly freezing, based on the frost covering the whole car. I hit the remote start. Came back a few minutes later, and the HVAC wasn't running. The exterior temp said 33. The next day, it worked, and the exterior temp said 32.

BlownG8GT
11-15-2008, 07:38 PM
works in my car......

rclinton
11-16-2008, 05:17 AM
When I first used my remote it would crank either the A/C or the heater up to get the car to 70 degrees with the fan on max. Not sure what I did different but not it doesn't seem to do that function any more. I will actually have to re read the owners manual to figure out what went amiss.

GT-610
11-16-2008, 02:00 PM
since when does a g8 have single zone climate control?

done12many2
11-16-2008, 04:49 PM
since when does a g8 have single zone climate control?

The V-6 has it standard.

norm8332
11-16-2008, 06:02 PM
Mine heats up to 70 like someone said, but I wish the front and rear defrost was automatic.

PS the It can be set for single or dual zone on my GT.

Chewy
11-17-2008, 06:50 AM
Mines running when I get in the car and then when I put the key in it shuts off and does its test and then turns it back on to where I had it set.

NOW... The seat heaters not being on kinda sucks... lol My old car had a toggle switch so if you left it on it was ON.

Still LOVE this car!

99-LS1-SS
11-17-2008, 07:20 AM
My old car had a toggle switch so if you left it on it was ON.

Still LOVE this car!
I use my heated seats about every time that I drive. The Tahoe has the best heated seats that I've used so far.

Chewy
11-17-2008, 07:27 AM
I use my heated seats about every time that I drive. The Tahoe has the best heated seats that I've used so far.

Well the G8's are FREAKY hot on 1 and 2 and 3 are down right painful at highway speeds!

I like that these go up the back. My last car just did the seat bottom.

99-LS1-SS
11-17-2008, 07:42 AM
My wife is amazed that I can ride around with the seat heater on 3 (highest setting) without any issues.

Yeah the last model of Acura that my wife had just heated the bottom but they finally figured it out and heat the back too.

Mich's04
11-17-2008, 01:35 PM
There is another guy on the G8Board that has the same issue. I'm going to have the dealer see if they can do anything with it.
I've read the owners manual again last night and haven't found anything that say it shouldn't work with single zone HVAC. It makes absolutely no sense. This sucks!
I even consulted with a local stereo/customizing shop. They said they have no clue. It would cost $60/hr to research the wiring system to figure it out. No guarrantee either.
JHP doesn't have an answer. They recommended swapping out the radio HVAC. I don't think it's that simple though.

-Ray-
11-17-2008, 02:10 PM
Have you tried leaving the heater set to high? My wife's Escape has a manual climate control. and she learned to turn it up when she turned off the car. I put a remote start in it after market.

Mich's04
11-18-2008, 08:02 AM
Yup, I've tried high,med. low, pushed lock/unlock buttons, cursed at it, kicked it.

Aaron407
10-01-2010, 09:42 AM
Mines running when I get in the car and then when I put the key in it shuts off and does its test and then turns it back on to where I had it set.

NOW... The seat heaters not being on kinda sucks... lol My old car had a toggle switch so if you left it on it was ON.

Still LOVE this car!

I know I'm resurrecting quite an old thread :shutup:, but I'm currently working on the 'no heated seat with remote start' issue. I built a module that I'll be installing this weekend to remedy this issue. If it works expected I'll be putting a DIY on G8Board and possibly on here if there's interest.

SRG963
10-01-2010, 09:53 AM
I'm interested!

Aaron407
10-02-2010, 09:19 AM
I posted a DIY on G8Board.
http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?p=599061

saltyrodz
10-02-2010, 11:06 AM

I concur have roasted my nuts by mistake in my tahoe in sunny south Florida