PDA

View Full Version : Adding sound deadner behind headliner

warbird
07-08-2010, 11:49 AM
Wondering if anybody has tried this?
My 09 GT sounds like your inside a tin can during moderate rain, have to believe there is at least some factory batt present, wondering if it can be improved on by using dynomat.
Any thoughts or suggestions?

SRG963
07-08-2010, 12:00 PM
What ever you use, make sure it's as light in weight as possible :)

hayabusa160
07-08-2010, 01:49 PM
yea i want to dynamat the roof also. my civic dont even sound like that in the rain. i did my doors and it made a major difference.
i suspect doing the roof can cut down alot of the road and wind noise.

fiveoh
07-08-2010, 05:17 PM
It is loud as shit during the rain isn't it? First time I was driving the car in the rain I thought it was hailing.

2StepsAhead
07-09-2010, 02:53 AM
I posted about this on the other board, the headliner is a pita to remove. Some people recommended just lowering it a little in the front and then pulling it down a little in the back vs completely removing it. I've been dying to do this too, just scared I'll break something lol.

SRG963
07-09-2010, 04:05 AM
Luckly, I don't have this problem.....you could always add a sunroof :devil:

warbird
07-09-2010, 09:38 AM
Well due to a freak hail storm while the car was parked at my office the headliner will be getting removed to repair the dents (receptionist has a Tbird that sustained no damage whatsover, talk about thin sheetmetal).
Repair shop manager (caddy dealership) says he doesnt believe much if any sound deadner is on roof. He has material they use on doors, but its not dynomat. His concern was that the adhesive may end up letting go over time and cause the headliner to sag, sounds like a valid concern since I cant touch my oakleys after they have been in the overhead they are so hot.
Anybody know anybody thats used dynomat on the roofline?

SRG963
07-09-2010, 10:27 AM
I think if you use one foot square pieces of something like this http://www.amazon.com/Elemental-Designs-eDead-Sound-Deadening/dp/B0007P4IQ0, you would be ok. I'm thinking of doing this because I have extra laying around, lol.

JoshHefnerX
07-09-2010, 12:33 PM
What ever you use ensure that it's NOT asphalt based - should be butyl and is very sticky as you don't want that coming down on your head when it's hot outside. Sound Deadner Showdown (http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/)

The diyma forum talks about this type of stuff alot. On the roof it may not even be bad to use a spray type such as second-skin.

Josh

nofattys
07-10-2010, 04:56 PM
Go to sounddeadenershowdown.com and pick up a pack of CDL tiles. U will not need to completely cover the roof, just lay a strip about 5 inches from the edge of the rear windshield and have a buddy knock on the roof, when you start to hear resonance in the sheet metal, place another strip, and continue. no need to layer it, it will not make a bit of difference if you do. The Butyl Rubber is good to 500 degrees, so you will not have to worry about it coming down, just clean the sheetmetal with prior to sticking it on, and use a roller to maximize adhesion. Don is a call guy, just talk to him and he will hook you up

vert
12-24-2010, 08:27 AM
I am bringing this back up from the dead. Since it has tunred cold along with my kooks, I have a vibration coming from the headliner area. My first step will be pulling the map lights down and if that does not solve it, the headliner.
Does anyone have instruction on removing the headliner.

DarkPhoenix
12-24-2010, 10:59 AM
I have the same vibration, no headers yet though. I have also been thinking of doing some sound dampener, I have use the b-quiet ultimate in the past with great results. I removed the interior in my last car and installed 150 sq/ft in it. It was amzing the difference that it made.
Any hints or tips on removing the headliner would also be appreciated :)