PDA

View Full Version : Modded and Warranty

oats21
07-03-2010, 11:19 PM
So I've been eyeing a G8 GT for a few months now, and I think I may have finally found the right one. Only problem is its been modded, and not being much of a car guy I need the assurance of a warranty. Its had Kooks Stainless Steel Long tube headers, high flow cats, a vararam intake and dyno tuned done to it by the owner (ASE certified he claims) , and while I would still have some rights to the mfg warranty under law, I'm worried the tune may void the powertain. What are your thoughts for a guy like me? Should I bother, or keep looking for one thats not modded?

-Ray-
07-04-2010, 02:23 AM
Talk to the dealer you would have warranty work done and ask.

TooManyHobbies
07-04-2010, 06:15 AM
Find one to drive without the mods, then drive one with the mods. You may change your opinion!

thebeast
07-04-2010, 11:50 AM
you should be fine, depending on what type or warranty work may be needed. they do have to prove that the mods caused the issue. id say go for it because those mods will probably be what you may want. if not, then find another one

SRG963
07-04-2010, 01:06 PM
If you want a warranty, you need to buy a stock G8. They can void your powertrain warranty with the mods you described.

BlueJacket
07-04-2010, 02:11 PM
If you were to get a 100% stock car would you mod it? If not find a stock G8.

Steve GT
07-04-2010, 02:12 PM
The tune alone will void your warranty. If you have an engine or transmission failure they will have to provide a picture of the codes stored within the ECU. If the vehicle has a different ECM or if it has been altered and the codes do not match then the engine/trans replacement would be denied by GM. Even if the dealer is willing to work with you, GM has the final say as it is coming out of their pocket.

Beginning on May 18, 2009, the PQC will require a picture of the engine calibration verification Tech 2 screen, as outlined in bulletin 09-06-04-026 (available in SI on 5/19/09), before authorizing any V8 gas-powered engine replacement.

oats21
07-04-2010, 09:24 PM
Well, I like the idea of a little extra power in the car. I would not be very likely to do any work on the car I bought, so in your opinions, what effect does a dyno tune, headers, and new cats have? Am I taking much risk?

BlueJacket
07-04-2010, 09:28 PM
Well, I like the idea of a little extra power in the car. I would not be very likely to do any work on the car I bought, so in your opinions, what effect does a dyno tune, headers, and new cats have? Am I taking much risk?

Most likely the header, cats and tune are not going to give you any problems but that does not mean the engine/trans may not give out for any number of reasons. If this happens you have 0 chance IMO of having them replaced under warranty. Its always a gamble you just have to decided how much risk you are willing to take.

goldz28
07-05-2010, 02:15 AM
If it were me I would buy a stock one and when the warranty is out...Happy modding.

jaxredg8
07-07-2010, 06:30 PM
Like has been asked, are you gonna mod if you buy stock? If so, IMO someone else has done the work already for you and you get to reap the benefits without the legwork. If you wouldnt mod anyway, then stock is probably the better option. Again, JMO. Good luck either way!

firebird400
07-09-2010, 04:48 PM
If you save the original ECM numbers you can flash it to stock numbers before you take it to the dealer.

powershiftlol
07-09-2010, 05:07 PM
Find one to drive without the mods, then drive one with the mods. You may change your opinion!
+1

G8 GT V8
09-13-2010, 05:28 PM
You can always buy it and put it back to stock if you like the car. I know a guy that would trade you his exhaust manifolds and stock cats for your Kooks setup.

66cat389
09-13-2010, 06:19 PM
Disclaimer: Copied from another forum, not my words. But they are correct.

Magnuson-Moss Warranty Improvement Act
The Federal Trade Commission has enacted a law which protects consumers from discrimination when dealing with aftermarket products and new vehicle warranties. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Improvement Act states that the original vehicle manufacturer’s warranty shall not be voided if a properly functioning aftermarket product is installed on your vehicle. If a dealership raises the red flag, direct the dealer representative to the Federal Trade Commission regarding the provisions of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Improvement Act. For more information about this law and your rights as an aftermarket consumer, visit www.ftc.gov (http://www.ftc.gov/) or contact the vehicle manufacturer. SEMA (Specialty Equipment Market Association) is also very active in protecting aftermarket consumer rights. Please visit the official SEMA website at www.sema.org (http://www.sema.org/) for more information.

Panzer Leader
09-13-2010, 06:47 PM
^+1 However, why not let him detune it now, see the difference, and retune if he wants it. Apprearently, this is the major issue with the warranty. The other items GM would not be responsible for anyway. CAI, should not be a problem.

gr8lover
09-13-2010, 07:44 PM
+1....+1....+1 Best advice I have seen for this..... If you explain to dealer what is going on and be honest and ask them their stance on things.... I have a awesome dealer that is good with all you have described.... now I went too far as many of us have, but for me it is worth the risk!!! I am paying big time for it, but still worth it to me..... I wonder if maybe you can get the tune and have some of the guys on here review it to make sure it is not all screwed up.... and see what they think how aggressive this guy went with it.... if he went to far with the tune he could have screwed up some things....

travis gore
09-14-2010, 01:22 AM

EXACTLY ^^^
All dealers handle this differently. The dealership that I use is mod friendly. I have had work done with the tune still in.

dv327
11-13-2010, 01:08 PM
See if your dealer has a policy about mods. soup070---- check your PMs.

66cat389
11-13-2010, 10:59 PM
Your dealer can't have a policy against or for mods. They have to fix any problem not caused directly by your modifications, it's the law. They give you crap about it, and you call the FTC. If they say they have a policy against mods, you remind them of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Improvement Act, and tell them to fix the problem.

MANOFSTEEL69
11-15-2010, 08:18 AM
My car is heavily modded and my dealer still honors my claims, and they have even done some of the mods....... Mainly depends on the working relationship you have with the dealer.

NC GXP
02-08-2011, 06:10 PM
I talked to the service manager at my local GM dealer the other day. As you may (or may not) know, the Hurst shifter is a dealer-installed option for 2011 Camaro. I have a stock GXP with 15k miles with the M6. I have a brand new Hurst shifter that I purchased from a fellow board member. I asked him if I had him (the dealer) install my new Hurst shift would that void warranty? His answer was "Yes". I asked him if I purchased a (Camaro) Hurst shifter from him and have him install it on my GXP, would that void the shifter? His answer was "Yes". His explanation was that Hurst shifter is (was) not a GM option for G8 so it is not authorized and, hence, would void the tranny warranty. Guess I will keep it totally stock for now. Anyone want to buy a brand new Vararam CAI or Hurst shifter?
Conrad

christiancoach
02-08-2011, 06:21 PM
I talked to the service manager at my local GM dealer the other day. As you may (or may not) know, the Hurst shifter is a dealer-installed option for 2011 Camaro. I have a stock GXP with 15k miles with the M6. I have a brand new Hurst shifter that I purchased from a fellow board member. I asked him if I had him (the dealer) install my new Hurst shift would that void warranty? His answer was "Yes". I asked him if I purchased a (Camaro) Hurst shifter from him and have him install it on my GXP, would that void the shifter? His answer was "Yes". His explanation was that Hurst shifter is (was) not a GM option for G8 so it is not authorized and, hence, would void the tranny warranty. Guess I will keep it totally stock for now. Anyone want to buy a brand new Vararam CAI or Hurst shifter?
Conrad

Find a new dealer! That is jack hattery! My dealer installed several mods for me, and honored all my warranty work.

youngrushhour
02-09-2011, 02:43 PM
Find a new dealer. That and the CAI should NOT void your warranty.

redjeff
06-26-2011, 08:02 AM
Those mods void your powertrain warranty.