PDA

View Full Version : Window trim molding instructions available?

G8V8
11-14-2008, 12:40 PM
Hi Paul. What is involved in removing and replacing the moldings? Special tools?
Thanks,
Ed

-Ray-
11-14-2008, 12:47 PM
Ed,
The large piece across the top is clipped on. I believe you need to remove the mirrors to remove the door molding.

Crazy Paul
11-14-2008, 01:18 PM
Jeff 08G8V8 has recently done his.
Instructions are shown above.
I don't think you need anything special.

You may break or damage a few of the original plastic clips and need to replace those if ever you want to put the chrome back on.
I have the Part Nos for the different replacement clips.
They run about $1ea regardless of colour.

08G8V8
11-14-2008, 01:19 PM
The upper trim pieces are fairly easy, except some of the clips got broke on me. You start by removing the screw at the very forward end. Then I used some plastic interior trim/molding pry bars I got at Harbor freight and started gently pulling the trim down. There is a clip about every 10-12 inches. The clips that broke stuck in the vehicle, and they broke where they attach to the molding itself. I am going to be ordering some replacement clips from Paul, incase I ever decide to replace the trim(which I probably won't, but if I ever sell it, I will give all the required parts).

The ones across the tops of the doors are only held in by 1 clip each for the front doors, and 2 clips each for the back doors. But, the front doors do require the door panels to be removed, in order to remove the side window, then the trim can be removed. However, I was unsuccessful in removing any of these 4 trim pieces without destroying the clips. The clips have 2 prongs on them, 1 going in each direction, and if there is a trick to get them out properly for re-use, I sure didn't learn it! Once you are ready to take off the trim, lower the windows, and grab the trim in the center and pull up. Then go to each end(for the back door) and monkey around to get the clips undone. The front door only has 1 clip at the back end. Also, be carefull when lifting up on these. Put a couple pieces of tape under the trim on each end, because it will dig into the paint. I got one small chip on one door, before I started applying tape on the rest.

Since I was replacing the trim, it really didn't matter to me about the clips breaking since they can be replaced. But if you are planning on painting them or taping them, I'd plan on ordering up some clips.

Let me know if you have any questions. I can take some pictures of the clips and the removed trim if you need to see them before you start, but it will have to be tomorrow since I've got to head to work here shortly.

Jeff

G8V8
11-15-2008, 07:09 AM
Thanks guys.

Qwk
06-13-2012, 07:40 AM
BUMP for the Newbies, like myself, who will be removing these and painting/coating them.:cheers:

Joeygr8gt
06-13-2012, 02:12 PM
subscribed