PDA

View Full Version : Opinions are like......

AVIDMOTION
06-29-2010, 04:47 PM
Opinions are like......NEEDED! Spark plug opinions needed.
I have 28000 on the stock plugs and I am changing them, I replace them at 30,000 no matter what. They will last the said 100,000 miles, but some wear is inevitable and that little wear costs 10% in performance and a small spike in gas mileage. For the 40 bucks to change them I get slightly better mileage and more response, piece of mind etc, and worth it to me to be at top efficiency also. Besides that I have developed a slight miss at idle. Regardless of the reasons not to change them- I am changing them out. Now the questions:
I have Vararam intake, X pipe, straight thru Magnaflows, 91 Cortex tune,and the Hrsk.
I live in NJ- 95 degree summers, 10 degree winters.
Should I stay with stock, or go one step colder?
What is the stock plug and gap?(or better brand of stock plug-all opinions accepted)
What is one colder step plug and what gap for that?
Do I have to change the wires too, or use dielectric grease in the boots?
Also I may change out the thermostat to 180 for the summer, what difference in plug choice would this cause? Example do I do the 180 thermo but not one step colder plugs or do them both(no real heating issues and with my sc'd regal GS going colder killed my gas mileage).
Anything else I need to know in order to change them out a one shot deal-special tricks or tools needed)
Thanks all opinions appreciated.

-Ray-
06-29-2010, 06:10 PM
Wires and plugs should still be fine. Have you looked at them? You don't need a colder plug, abient temps have nothing to do with it. The GM plugs are really good plugs BTW.
If you haven't done the heater hoses, now is the time to do them if you are changing plugs.

GRRRR8
06-29-2010, 06:33 PM
You can pull one and check the gap. It should be .040, however everyone I check even at low mileage is never gapped correctly.

No need to go colder.

wreckwriter
06-29-2010, 06:35 PM
a couple of the plugs are a booger to get to...........

AVIDMOTION
07-07-2010, 02:28 PM
Which ones are hard to get to? Passenger side back looks a little bad but I have no stinkin headers or anything. So with my mods I should get stock plugs and gap at .040 Are there any better plugs then stock(stock is Iridium?) Special brand like NGK, bosch, Nippon etc?
Do I need dialetic grease on the boot insides or anything. Will the wires be ok. On my Regal Gs once you took them off, they were srewed and never acted right again, had to put on MSD 8.5 's and then never had an issue again. Thanks!

DRCUSTOMPARTS
07-07-2010, 05:30 PM
With your mods if you feel you must replace them, the stock plugs are the best choice. I won't change mine until 50K miles or more since my car still runs great with 33K miles on the plugs.

Chewy
07-08-2010, 05:25 AM
I just replaced plugs on our Enclave which uses Iridiums and I went with Autolites from Auto-Zone and am very happy with them. The 2008 Enclave had 95,000 miles on it and the plugs still gapped at stock levels. I replaced them only because it called for it. I think it was 60 bucks total.

Chris