PDA

View Full Version : My G8's at the dealer

jnak
11-14-2008, 07:51 AM
I dropped off the G8 at the dealer for a laundry list of minor issues, including:

1. Popping in the steering column
2. Driver side wheel/suspension making a grinding sound when steering (only happens when the car is cold)
3. Alternator noise
4. HVAC recirc actuator sounds like it's going to die
5. Slight vibration at highway speeds
6. Crap windshield wipers

I'll let you know what they tell me when they phone later today.

jnak
11-14-2008, 05:15 PM
3/6 isn't bad, I guess, especially for my dealer. I got 2 "could not duplicates" and 1 false fix.

1. Could not duplicate :eyeroll:
2. Left front rotor backing plate was bent. I guess they bent it back? and now it's supposedly fixed.
3. Could not duplicate :eyeroll:
4. Actuator linkage was lubricated, fixing the noise
5. Road force balance
6. Wiper was supposedly dirty, they cleaned the wiper but it's still crap.:eyeroll:

GRRRR8
11-14-2008, 05:25 PM
It really is terrible what is happening at dealers. I get a truck in the customer spent $1640 at the dealer, the truck still barely accelerate, they tell him it needs a $900 cat. assmembly and he declined it. He gets referred to me I drive it, know its not the cat.( 1 psi back pressure) run some basic checks and find the fuel filter on backwards! The dealer put the new fuel pump in and didnt even inspect the filter!!! The customer said his neighbor put it on for him and then he went to the dealer as the issue wasnt fixed. The dealer invoice stated that the customer just installed new plugs and fuel filter. IDIOT!! I have a customer for life as is the person that referred him.

-Ray-
11-14-2008, 05:29 PM
Did you drill small holes in the exhaust to check for bad cat?
James, the official GM fix for the wipers is to clean them. Really!
My alternator still whines, even after I installed a under drive pulley.

GRRRR8
11-14-2008, 05:31 PM
No, I have a backpressure gauge by Waekon that screws into the 02 bung and checked it with a temp gun.

jnak
11-14-2008, 06:06 PM
James, the official GM fix for the wipers is to clean them. Really!
My alternator still whines, even after I installed a under drive pulley.

That's awesome. I cleaned them myself before I took it in, and it didn't fix it. I think I will take the service manager for a drive next time I take it in, so he can see and hear exactly what I'm talking about.

rlafash
01-08-2009, 10:39 AM
This wiper issue is amazing! My wipers have been chattering and streaking since the day I got the car early last September. Took it in to the dealer yesterday during a downpour; tech said wipers are fine, "not torn or dinged", cleaned windshield and blades, just as I had done the day before. No improvement. Supposed to return to dealer tomorrow for "re-evaluation"! I'll let you know what, if anything, happens!

Chewy
01-08-2009, 10:51 AM
This wiper issue is amazing! My wipers have been chattering and streaking since the day I got the car early last September. Took it in to the dealer yesterday during a downpour; tech said wipers are fine, "not torn or dinged", cleaned windshield and blades, just as I had done the day before. No improvement. Supposed to return to dealer tomorrow for "re-evaluation"! I'll let you know what, if anything, happens!

The only time I had the issue is when I put rain-X on it. I knew from the past that rain-x is great at 2 things. Making water bead up and making wipers skip like a banshee!

I polished the window with some Griots window polish and all is well now!

Try claying your windows too! Just make sure the lube you use DOESN'T have silicon in it. Adams is Silicon free!

Chris

r1owner
01-08-2009, 11:21 AM
Stop taking the car to the dealer for the wipers... Get a quality aftermarket one (Anco) and be done with it. It's well documented that corrects the issue.