PDA

View Full Version : silver star headlights

silver6.0L
11-13-2008, 05:51 PM
Has anybody tired Sylvania silver star or silver star ultra headlights for a cheap alternative to HIDs or another brand of bulb that improves performance? Also what about the fog lights for increased performance?

SRG963
11-13-2008, 06:39 PM
Has anybody tired Sylvania silver star or silver star ultra headlights for a cheap alternative to HIDs or another brand of bulb that improves performance? Also what about the fog lights for increased performance?

I put them in my old 01 Town Car and they worked great. Those lights were yellow, my GT's lights are pretty white as is, so I'm not sure they would be worth the money.

You could always buy them and return them I guess.

Pretty good deal on them over at Amazon (but no return)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000M5Y720

R.Penguin
11-13-2008, 08:20 PM
Get these. They look just like HIDs and are quite bright.
http://www.highperformancebulbs.com/lukrulwhh11t.html

Got 8?
11-13-2008, 09:30 PM
Get these. They look just like HIDs and are quite bright.
http://www.highperformancebulbs.com/lukrulwhh11t.html

I tried them but they did not work for me and when I called back to tell them about how the light output was less than the OEM's they told me to sell them on ebay cause they won't take them back...

At the time Silverstar only made the H9 high beam and not the H11 lows so I didn't get them and went w/ the Nokyas but they are only a little brighter than the Luminics...Just my $0.02

Actually now that I looked at your link again I tried the Titanium Whites and not the Ultra Whites you linked...

Chewy
11-14-2008, 06:23 AM
When you add that much color to a bulb you REDUCE the lumens. Maybe they started higher than the stockers but still...

SS ultras I haven't tried but they have to be better than the standard SS as they didn't last a freaking year in any of my cars. The Ultra's I believe are supposed to last longer. Wouldn't take much IMO...

I think I will pony up for the gremlin 35 watt HID kit...

conipc
11-14-2008, 08:18 AM
Easiest thing to do is modify H9 bulbs to fit the low beams. Difference is 2100 lumens as opposed to 1350. It just takes slight mod to the tabs on the bulbs...

G8Smitty
11-14-2008, 08:38 AM
I put the SS ultra in my 99 Yukon and the difference is unreal.

I put the eBay Nokya 8.5K bulbs in my G8 and it is a little too blue for good visibility IMO. The stockers seemed to be brighter.

Kirk@VectorMotorsports
11-14-2008, 08:47 AM
I had Silverstars in two of my vehicles. I never was able to get over a year out of them.

Chewy
11-14-2008, 08:53 AM
I had Silverstars in two of my vehicles. I never was able to get over a year out of them.

Thank God it wasn't just me! :blink:

R.Penguin
11-14-2008, 12:06 PM
I tried them but they did not work for me and when I called back to tell them about how the light output was less than the OEM's they told me to sell them on ebay cause they won't take them back...

At the time Silverstar only made the H9 high beam and not the H11 lows so I didn't get them and went w/ the Nokyas but they are only a little brighter than the Luminics...Just my $0.02

Actually now that I looked at your link again I tried the Titanium Whites and not the Ultra Whites you linked...
Luminics Krypton Ultra White. All I can tell you is that for me, they are perfect. One other thought.

When you are installing any bulb in the low-beam, DRL, outside, projector beam lights, make sure that you are, in fact, changing the proper socket on both sides (outboard). The high beam (inboard) cover caps are easy to get to. The others are buried deep to each side and you can expect to both swear & bleed a bit, even if you have the stock air intake junk off.

silver6.0L
12-01-2008, 05:15 PM
When you add that much color to a bulb you REDUCE the lumens. Maybe they started higher than the stockers but still...

SS ultras I haven't tried but they have to be better than the standard SS as they didn't last a freaking year in any of my cars. The Ultra's I believe are supposed to last longer. Wouldn't take much IMO...

I think I will pony up for the gremlin 35 watt HID kit...

Have you installed the HID kit yet and if so how hard was the install? Also what color did you get?

jcar
12-01-2008, 05:29 PM
I put them in my old 01 Town Car and they worked great. Those lights were yellow, my GT's lights are pretty white as is, so I'm not sure they would be worth the money.

You could always buy them and return them I guess.

Pretty good deal on them over at Amazon (but no return)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000M5Y720

I used them in my 1999 Pontiac GTP cause that car had the worse lights ever made. They were OK but seemed to me to not last as long as the OEM level bulbs. That's my recallection and opinion.