View Full Version : Audio System

GRRRR8
08-11-2008, 12:54 PM
Audio System - Whine From Speakers When Using OnStar®

TECHNICAL

Bulletin No.: 07-08-46-002A

Date: February 26, 2008

Subject:
Audio Whine Noise from Radio Speakers When Using OnStar® (Install Noise Suppression Filter)

Models:
2007-2008 GM Passenger Cars and Trucks (Including Saturn)
2007-2008 HUMMER H2, H3
2007-2008 Saab 9-7X

with OnStar (RPO UE1)

Supercede:

This bulletin is being revised to update the circuit descriptions in the correction statement. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 07-08-46-002 (Section 08 - Body & Accessories).

Condition

Some customers may comment on an audio whine coming from the radio speakers when using the OnStar® system. The amplitude and frequency of the whine will change with an increase or decrease in engine speed.

Cause

This condition may be caused by electrical noise on the OnStar® Vehicle Communication Interface Module (VCIM) battery feed wire being passed to the microphone output pins at the radio.

Correction

Technicians are to install a noise suppression filter P/N 1224205 into circuit 3240 the OnStar® battery voltage circuit a few centimeters (inches) from the VCIM. The filter package has three attached wires - a single yellow wire at one end with a yellow wire and a black wire at the other. Install the single yellow wire side into circuit 3240 towards the VCIM. Install the remaining single yellow wire into circuit 3240 toward the "INFO" fuse and the black wire to ground.

Important: The noise suppression filter is polarity sensitive. The filter is designed to be most effective when the end with the capacitor ground is connected towards the source of the electrical noise. Install the filter in this polarity first. If the noise level is still not satisfactory, try disconnecting the capacitor ground. In some cases if the first installation does not correct the noise, try reversing the filter polarity (removing the filter, turning it end for end and then reinstalling it) and grounding the capacitor lead.

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm132/charlesvanwormer/AlldataAudioSysWhinePic.jpg

Information supplied courtesy of Alldatapro.com

bobyoung
10-20-2008, 01:56 PM
For those of you who think this sound system is a little light on bass, there is a subwoofer amp in the trunk just to the front of the battery with a gain (volume) control on it. It is set about halfway on from the factory, is a lttle halfway detent on it, I turned it all the way up today and what a difference! It like getting 100 more watts out of the system. Of course you don't but it changes the overall balance of the system so that it kicks ass and most of the power of a system is used for the really low stuff anyway. I like most kinds of stuff and everything sounded much better to me set like this. I asked my wife how she liked the new sound and she said the bass was going through her chest. To access it pull up the floor cover, take off the plastic molding on the back of the trunk that has the netting attached, you undo those four attachments, then pop the two divits holding the left panel on and the amp is right between the battery and the back wheel well with cables going in to it from the top, can't miss it. The volume control is in the middle on the bottom of the amp. I tried to find it by sticking my hand under the panel and couldn't find it that way as other's have. If you like bass, you'll be amazed at the difference. I was also able to change the back-front balance more towards the front going from R3 to R1 which also raised the overall volume.
I did this in a parking lot waiting for my wife to spend all her money, took about 15 minutes tops.

GRRRR8
10-20-2008, 03:14 PM
I still need to do this whenever I get tired of listening to tire chirps!

99-LS1-SS
10-20-2008, 03:20 PM
I still need to do this whenever I get tired of listening to tire chirps!

23 year of driving and I still love that sound!!

GRRRR8
10-20-2008, 03:40 PM
I caught one this morning and it turned the car slightly sideways! My favorite way to get awake in the morning. Yes, even more then that, because that makes me want to go back to sleep! LOL

99-LS1-SS
10-20-2008, 03:45 PM
I hear ya. The back tires on my Camaro made it a whopping 1500 miles from brand new to bald as a babies ass! I think my right foot is disproportionately heavy...

jnak
10-20-2008, 04:31 PM
I get the whine even if I'm not using Onstar.

-Ray-
10-20-2008, 04:56 PM
That's why my wife isn't in the car with me. LOL

Mav
10-21-2008, 05:05 AM
lol

GRRRR8
10-21-2008, 05:11 AM
That's why my wife isn't in the car with me. LOL

Hmmmm. I wonder what Karen would think about that comment. Send check too........LMAO!

Chewy
10-21-2008, 06:16 AM
I caught one this morning and it turned the car slightly sideways! My favorite way to get awake in the morning. Yes, even more then that, because that makes me want to go back to sleep! LOL

I had "that" last night which is probably good as I had none of the tire chirp this morning... :rofl:

G8GTlawride
10-22-2008, 05:43 PM
For those of you who think this sound system is a little light on bass, there is a subwoofer amp in the trunk just to the front of the battery with a gain (volume) control on it. It is set about halfway on from the factory, is a lttle halfway detent on it, I turned it all the way up today and what a difference! It like getting 100 more watts out of the system. Of course you don't but it changes the overall balance of the system so that it kicks ass and most of the power of a system is used for the really low stuff anyway. I like most kinds of stuff and everything sounded much better to me set like this. I asked my wife how she liked the new sound and she said the bass was going through her chest. To access it pull up the floor cover, take off the plastic molding on the back of the trunk that has the netting attached, you undo those four attachments, then pop the two divits holding the left panel on and the amp is right between the battery and the back wheel well with cables going in to it from the top, can't miss it. The volume control is in the middle on the bottom of the amp. I tried to find it by sticking my hand under the panel and couldn't find it that way as other's have. If you like bass, you'll be amazed at the difference. I was also able to change the back-front balance more towards the front going from R3 to R1 which also raised the overall volume.
I did this in a parking lot waiting for my wife to spend all her money, took about 15 minutes tops.

Since you cannot see the knob to turn it, which way do we turn it. Clockwise or Counterclockwise?

GRRRR8
10-22-2008, 05:47 PM
Clockwise.

G8GTlawride
10-22-2008, 06:19 PM
Thank you.

jnak
10-22-2008, 09:27 PM
Make sure the music's on when you turn it. If the bass goes down, turn it the other way.

cmgfireman
02-14-2009, 09:27 AM
Worked great. Stereo now sounds like I thought it should. I'm only surprised they would make such adjustment so tough to get to. Thanks for the information.

3 day old G8 GT. White Hot.

PantherGTBlack
02-14-2009, 01:17 PM
I'm gonna have to do this. Thanks guys!

gearhead455
02-17-2009, 06:04 PM
Thanks for the tip!!

xfactor
02-17-2009, 08:02 PM
Just did the adjustment to my GXP. Sounds much better. Thanx.

G8GT594
02-17-2009, 09:58 PM
So this added to overal volume or just an increase in bass? Just curious. Also its this amp just for the subs?
BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.77 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105

xfactor
02-18-2009, 04:26 AM
It seemed to increase bass in all speakers. I turned mine all the way up, set the bass in the radio to +2 and turned loudness on. Mine seemed to have a lot of low bass (rattle your teeth bass) from the factory but no midbass (tight tump). The adjustment seemed to help with the midbass more. If you take the loudness off it takes away the low bass.

By the way, it took me about 10 minutes max start to finish. When taking the aft plastic out (the one that the net is mounted to) pull UP as it has snap fittings that will only release up. Someone may have said this but I missed it.

xfactor
02-23-2009, 06:36 PM
Question to you all. I cannot turn my radio above 20 or something will rattle. I don't know what the hell it is but it drives me crazy. I think it might be the sunroof but I cannot figure out where in the sunroof it is coming from. Anyone else have a similar problem? I have great hearing and can pick up any noise and it drives me ape shit. So, most of the time I keep the radio down and listen to the great sound of the engine/exhaust! Let me know if you have had the same and what you did to fix it.

1BDG8GT
02-26-2009, 02:37 PM
Who ever found this out about the amp props to you.much better sound.thank you from N.Y.

TaskForce
05-26-2009, 05:34 PM
This Rocks - pun intended. I think mine was set at 25%