PDA

View Full Version : Anyone w\Kooks LTH

knee_dragger
11-12-2008, 03:38 PM
Does your car sound like you have a small exhaust leak now? I've been told that LTH will give you a popcorn sound but I think this sounds more like a leak. I've replace the exhaust manifold gaskets and have re-torque to specs.

You can here it more if you driving next to other cars or concrete median

Anyone else have the same issue?

wreckwriter
11-12-2008, 03:42 PM
The only thing remotely like a popcorn sound would be occasionally and briefly on deceleration.

jbradsh1
11-12-2008, 03:53 PM
Does your car sound like you have a small exhaust leak now? I've been told that LTH will give you a popcorn sound but I think this sounds more like a leak. I've replace the exhaust manifold gaskets and have re-torque to specs.

Kooks has a flange type connection not a slip on fit. Check the flange bolts. Mine came loose and I was getting that slight raspy sound that you get with an exhaust leak. Found the bolts loose on most of the flange connections, tightened them up, been fine ever since.

knee_dragger
11-12-2008, 03:58 PM
The only thing remotely like a popcorn sound would be occasionally and briefly on deceleration.

Yeah I get it all the time not just on decel

wreckwriter
11-12-2008, 04:00 PM
Yeah I get it all the time not just on decel

Then I agree with Jeff, check your bolts, something may have worked loose.

knee_dragger
11-12-2008, 04:01 PM
Kooks has a flange type connection not a slip on fit. Check the flange bolts. Mine came loose and I was getting that slight raspy sound that you get with an exhaust leak. Found the bolts loose on most of the flange connections, tightened them up, been fine ever since.

I'll have to check them again. I've already re-torque them twice so far already.

GRRRR8
11-12-2008, 05:02 PM
You could be hearing the valvetrain in the headers as our valvetrain in already noisy.

knee_dragger
11-12-2008, 05:28 PM
You could be hearing the valvetrain in the headers as our valvetrain in already noisy.

Thanks Charlie. Your right I can hear the valvetrain, but that's not the sound I'm referring too. Guess I'll have to pull out the jack stands again.

GRRRR8
11-12-2008, 06:23 PM
Little tip, Take a 3ft piece of 5/8 hose and hold 1 end to your ear and take the other and go along the head and all sealing points. Guaranteed you will find a leak if you have 1.

Panther 2
11-12-2008, 07:15 PM
Did you use any hi-temp sealant on the header gaskets?

knee_dragger
11-12-2008, 07:31 PM
Little tip, Take a 3ft piece of 5/8 hose and hold 1 end to your ear and take the other and go along the head and all sealing points. Guaranteed you will find a leak if you have 1.

Thanks I'll try that tomorrow.

Did you use any hi-temp sealant on the header gaskets?

Nope, replaced with new OEM set. No need for sealant. Thanks

G8GTlawride
11-19-2008, 07:32 PM

Is this your first experience with headers on a quiet car? Manufacturers use cast iron on their exhaust manifolds for a reason. To help quiet the violent expulsion of the exhaust as it exits the heads. The header material is thin and thus transmits some of this noise. Sounds like a "swishing" noise. Could sound like what you describe though to a point. If you have re-torqued the flanges and replaced the gaskets then what you are hearing is what I referred to. Only other possibiltiy is a leaking weld, which is HIGHLY unlikely.

Just FYI, I have the ARH and it sounds like this as well. But so did every other header equipped car I ever owned.