PDA

View Full Version : How bad did I screw up?

DolomiteG8
11-12-2008, 07:36 AM
Long story short, I used a product I wasn't familiar with cause I was in a hurry, and now the chrome on the front grills looked tarnished.

I wanted to wax down the front end of the car to put the Colgan bra on. I was out of my usual wax, so I ran down to the store and found that they were out too. So I picked up some Turtle Wax Ice.

What I thought was a wax was actually the liquid polish. Back of the bottle said it was safe on all surfaces, mentioned something with the word wax, blah blah. I applied it the hood and the front end. Well I got some on chrome, and afterwards I noticed it looked dull and spotty. How do I fix this? I've never used the stuff before.

I tried rubbing on it with my thumb, and the surface feels rough. Is this repairable with a dremmel and a buffing wheel or am I screwed here? I also got a little of it on my headlight capsule. Noticed it looked a little dull there too. The back of the bottle said it was safe on plastics - whatever.

So how screwed am I? Flame suit on for being a dumbass in a hurry.

Chewy
11-12-2008, 07:39 AM
Yeah that sucks... Not sure what to tell ya! I would ask Jason from Adams and see what he suggests. They make some pretty good stuff.

Ben@Adams
11-12-2008, 09:14 AM
I wouldn't say you are screwed at all! No need for a flame suit - this time... :cheers:

If the bottle says it's safe for all finishes then you should be fine. I'd say first try a Detail Spray and a true Microfiber Towel (not that stuff from CostCo or Pep Boys) and give it a go. If that does not work then try a chrome cleaner/polish like our Brilliant Spray Glaze.

To remove it from your plastic that might take a bit more ingenuity. Plastic absorbs whatever comes in contact with it. I'd try a Detail Spray and MF rub first - if that does not work give me a call - I'll talk you through using a cleaner/degreaser to do it safely without bleaching the plastic.

-Jason

Chewy
11-12-2008, 09:18 AM
Adam's M/F stuff rocks! I have I believe 6 of their soft polishing towels, 6 of their applicator pads and 1 of their waffle drying towels. I bought some blue waffle towels from someone else and they work great but I believe the white ones are TRULY softer as Adam's claims. The cheap Costco or Sams or Auto-zone ones work great on the windows but they won't be touching my paint anymore. They SCRATCH! :mad:

R.Penguin
11-12-2008, 04:02 PM
Well, I think you'll like the Colgan anyway. :p

G8GTlawride
11-18-2008, 08:34 PM
Long story short, I used a product I wasn't familiar with cause I was in a hurry, and now the chrome on the front grills looked tarnished.

I wanted to wax down the front end of the car to put the Colgan bra on. I was out of my usual wax, so I ran down to the store and found that they were out too. So I picked up some Turtle Wax Ice.

What I thought was a wax was actually the liquid polish. Back of the bottle said it was safe on all surfaces, mentioned something with the word wax, blah blah. I applied it the hood and the front end. Well I got some on chrome, and afterwards I noticed it looked dull and spotty. How do I fix this? I've never used the stuff before.

I tried rubbing on it with my thumb, and the surface feels rough. Is this repairable with a dremmel and a buffing wheel or am I screwed here? I also got a little of it on my headlight capsule. Noticed it looked a little dull there too. The back of the bottle said it was safe on plastics - whatever.

You just don't "Pick some up". Turtle Wax Ice is not cheap. But, FYI, all I have used is the Turtle Wax Ice products on mine. I have not had any issues with it at all. Have used it on the very chrome you describe as being an issue. I use the quick detailer and the liquid polish as well as the paste. I have used it on all exterior surfaces except the glass. If you have issues that cannot be explained, call the 800 number on the product.