PDA

View Full Version : SEMA Show GXP with bad strut bearings!

G8V8
11-11-2008, 11:31 AM
Here are some photos Frank Beck of rocksand racing took at the SEMA Show last week. Can you believe these?

khaneric
11-11-2008, 12:05 PM
Uhh... mine look somewhat like that too... should i be concerned and take it to the dealer?

SRG963
11-11-2008, 12:24 PM
Uhh... mine look somewhat like that too... should i be concerned and take it to the dealer?

From what I've read, all will look that way eventually.

Pedders can comment on this much better than I, but they informed us about this problem a long time ago on the other board.

I'd say get them fixed until the warranty runs out, and see if the dealership will use Pedders parts :)

dms
11-12-2008, 05:37 PM
there is in fact quite a bit of movement in the strut mount plate. Part of the concerns I think are due possibly to the angle of the top strut mount plates.

I have done a number of G8s now, and have yet to see a G8 OEM that does not have partially collapsed mounts. Normal collapsing of 3/8 to close to 1/2 inch on the dealer lot is pretty normal. Other than a lot of extra vertical movement the collapsed mounts will cause, they get to be a major concern when the mounts start to migrate and tear in the center.

Also, I have seen a number of front bump stops on the G8 that are totally destroyed. If you drive your G8 hard, expect to see this.

mike
dms

GRRRR8
11-12-2008, 06:21 PM
Not to disagree, but I installed my struts and springs and STB today and my fenders had the same marks on them, but my bearings were perfect. That upper strut mounting is crappy! The Pedders does improve it as far as durability, but that is a VW design and we know VW sux!

R.Penguin
11-12-2008, 08:23 PM
there is in fact quite a bit of movement in the strut mount plate. Part of the concerns I think are due possibly to the angle of the top strut mount plates.

I have done a number of G8s now, and have yet to see a G8 OEM that does not have partially collapsed mounts. Normal collapsing of 3/8 to close to 1/2 inch on the dealer lot is pretty normal. Other than a lot of extra vertical movement the collapsed mounts will cause, they get to be a major concern when the mounts start to migrate and tear in the center.

Also, I have seen a number of front bump stops on the G8 that are totally destroyed. If you drive your G8 hard, expect to see this.

mike
dms
So, are we looking for collapse in the metal mounts for the bushings? What does a good one look like? My GT has never been to the dealer comin' up on 10,000 mi, and I'm hoping it never has to.

dms
11-12-2008, 10:23 PM
So, are we looking for collapse in the metal mounts for the bushings? What does a good one look like? My GT has never been to the dealer comin' up on 10,000 mi, and I'm hoping it never has to.

Here is a set of bushings with about 6k. The one in the center is a new Pedders. The ones on both sides were the same size at one point

http://forums.peddersusa.com/imagehosting/7491bc76869f7e.jpg

Here is a picture of the bushing installed with the angled upper strut mount.
http://forums.peddersusa.com/imagehosting/7491bc769c4082.jpg

this is a picture of a left front strut washer contacting the inner fender due to stress on a 1800 mile strut bushing

http://forums.peddersusa.com/imagehosting/7491bc8df548de.jpg

Here is the bushing after removal. If you look close, between 9 and 1, you can see separation of the strut bushing between the inner and outer rubber sections.

http://forums.peddersusa.com/imagehosting/7491bc8ddd025d.jpg

thanks
mike
dms

GeorgeInNePa
11-13-2008, 04:39 AM
Whoever comes up with a solid "plate style" mount for our struts will be a god.

dms
11-13-2008, 08:55 AM
Whoever comes up with a solid "plate style" mount for our struts will be a god.

You know, Pedders Au has several. However, there are too many issues with the Zeta platform that will not make it a compatible issue.

So do not hold your breath waiting for them

mike
dms

Chewy
11-17-2008, 10:44 AM
SO??? Are mine F'd? Looks like they are! :hang:

99-LS1-SS
11-17-2008, 11:29 AM
SO??? Are mine F'd? Looks like they are! :hang:

I can't see them due the excessive dust built up on your strut towers. :eek:

Just kidding, I know how particular you've been about your car so I had to give you some shit.

Chewy
11-17-2008, 11:34 AM
I can't see them due the excessive dust built up on your strut towers. :eek:

Just kidding, I know how particular you've been about your car so I had to give you some shit.

LOL Tis winter M8! A lot of that goes out the door!

MtbDoc
11-17-2008, 06:36 PM
I am curious as to what GM will do if a BUNCH of us take our G8's in to them for this to be replaced. Clearly there is a problem. Same story w/ the GTO's, but I modded my car the second I bought it. This is still stock (for the moment) so it might be interesting to see what the dealer will do.

dms
11-17-2008, 08:24 PM
I am curious as to what GM will do if a BUNCH of us take our G8's in to them for this to be replaced. Clearly there is a problem. Same story w/ the GTO's, but I modded my car the second I bought it. This is still stock (for the moment) so it might be interesting to see what the dealer will do.

It will vary on the attitude of the service manager, and also depend on where they are at on their warranty peer group analysis. IF they are higher than peer group, I doubt you will get any help

mike
dms

todds87ss
12-07-2008, 05:25 AM

I can say for a fact that GM, based on my experience with my GTO, will not do ANYTHING. They will not measure to check for collapse. They will not diagnose the problem as strut mount related. The closest I got was, after complaining for 2 years (and opening an NHTSA complaint, a GM customer service complaint, and a BBB complaint) was a single strut replacement (stock). I still have noise from the front end and strut rub, and GM customer service has closed my complaint as "unresolved".