PDA

View Full Version : BMR Sub-Frame connectors

mjduell2009
11-11-2008, 06:15 AM
Hello All,
As many of you know I am a road racer type guy and I have been setting up my car for open track events as well as the street. Structural rigidity is always important and I have found the stock G8 to be very rigid. Here is my question. I have been looking at BMR Sub-Frame connectors, do you think they are needed? Will the added weight be more of a hindrance than help?

--Mike

GRRRR8
11-11-2008, 06:17 AM
I think there is a benefit, and looking at them I would guess 30 lbsish.

wreckwriter
11-11-2008, 06:21 AM
Mine are on order so I guess I'll be the Guinea pig. I'll let you know.

mjduell2009
11-11-2008, 06:24 AM
Mine are on order so I guess I'll be the Guinea pig. I'll let you know.

I will probably order them as well. So what do you think, noticibly stiffer? I'll have to wait until next year to actaully test them. It's getting colder here everyday.

--Mike

-Ray-
11-11-2008, 06:24 AM
Looking forward to your results Tom. I'm considering this product. Thanks to you, I passed on the Yank.

GRRRR8
11-11-2008, 06:25 AM
Trying to sneak 1 in on me Tom?

wreckwriter
11-11-2008, 06:27 AM
With these, as with most everything I do, I'm hoping for a bit better launch. I also have the trailing arms and the tunnel brace coming. I'm hoping they shipped yesterday, if so they should get here today or tomorrow at latest since BMR is in Florida.

wreckwriter
11-11-2008, 06:28 AM
Trying to sneak 1 in on me Tom?

Nah, these just looked good because I should be able to install them myself. Install cost is the thing that holds me back on most mods. If it was for that I would be cammed and possibly blown by now.

GRRRR8
11-11-2008, 06:32 AM
Nah, these just looked good because I should be able to install them myself. Install cost is the thing that holds me back on most mods. If it was for that I would be cammed and possibly blown by now.

I sure wish you lived closer. I could help with the install thing. All a lot of you need is the tools and a lift and someone to go "you might not want to do that like that" LMAO!

wreckwriter
11-11-2008, 06:33 AM
I sure wish you lived closer. I could help with the install thing. All a lot of you need is the tools and a lift and someone to go "you might not want to do that like that" LMAO!

I wish so too.

mjduell2009
11-11-2008, 06:35 AM

Exactly.

Panther 2
11-11-2008, 06:47 AM
And only experience teaches you the " you might not want to do it like that ".

GRRRR8
11-11-2008, 06:49 AM
Thats why I like this site and others. You can tell when someone can do it, its just a tool or little info and they are there.

Mike P
11-11-2008, 09:08 AM

That is funny. :) I could benefit to living closer to Sugarland too!

-Ray-
11-11-2008, 09:51 AM
I would like to go there for Thanksgiving.

BSmith
11-11-2008, 01:12 PM
I wish so too.

I got tools, a lift, and a blow up bed. Hell, I might even have some idea of what's going on. Between the 2 of us, unstoppable? LOL

Panther 2
11-11-2008, 01:24 PM
For every 100lbs added there is a 1/10 lost in et. choose parts wisely. Lol

wreckwriter
11-11-2008, 01:27 PM

True but that applies to dead weight, ballast, gas, heavy driver, etc. If the parts added gain you power or, in this case, traction, that can be offset.

GRRRR8
11-11-2008, 01:35 PM
I would like to go there for Thanksgiving.
Come on! Business?

-Ray-
11-11-2008, 01:44 PM
No. I would take a vacation and drive down.

locrzn#92
11-11-2008, 02:02 PM
Bsmith, I heard your blow up doll tried to run off with your blow up bed. Thats just not good. It happened to my neighbor, he's never been the same since. He has sheep now, my wife won't let me go over to his house anymore.

GRRRR8
11-11-2008, 02:15 PM
No. I would take a vacation and drive down.

That sounds like you want a piece of me! LMAO!:boxing:

GeorgeInNePa
11-11-2008, 02:35 PM

I've mentioned this before, but here it is again.

With the power levels we're at now and the amount of traction available to us AND the stiffness of these cars as they are, I don't believe we will see any benefit to bolt-in sub-frame connectors.

JMHO, of course.

wreckwriter
11-11-2008, 02:47 PM

With the power levels we're at now and the amount of traction available to us AND the stiffness of these cars as they are, I don't believe we will see any benefit to bolt-in sub-frame connectors.

JMHO, of course.

And you may be right. I will soon find out.

wreckwriter
11-12-2008, 01:07 PM
No parts today :(

dms
11-12-2008, 05:31 PM

JMHO, of course.

On straight ahead hard launches, three diff mount bushings are the most important. The twisties and bumps, the Xmember insert bushes are most important

If you ever have the opportunity to ride in Pete Basica's and Mike haddad's G8l you will be very impressed on what the feeling is all about this the bushes upgraded

mike
dms

dms
11-12-2008, 06:00 PM
Hello All,
As many of you know I am a road racer type guy and I have been setting up my car for open track events as well as the street. Structural rigidity is always important and I have found the stock G8 to be very rigid. Here is my question. I have been looking at BMR Sub-Frame connectors, do you think they are needed? Will the added weight be more of a hindrance than help?

--Mike

You still should deal with the subframe bushings before you do the connectors

mike
dms

mjduell2009
11-12-2008, 06:09 PM
You still should deal with the subframe bushings before you do the connectors

mike
dms

I've got the full Pedders Track II set-up now, even have the STB. So what do you think about adding the connectors?

--Mike

dms
11-12-2008, 06:20 PM
I've got the full Pedders Track II set-up now, even have the STB. So what do you think about adding the connectors?

--Mike

I have been in Pete Basicas and Mike Haddads blown G8s with complete systems. To be honest, I do not think you need them. the movement is in the suspension, not the body. Now if you are going to put in a LS7 or some ungodly hp, other than norma Maggie or Procharger, maybe you will need something like this.

Now I have done a lot of GTO-BMR subframe connectors and did, without a doubt, feel the difference. But the GTO body and suspension design is basically a 15 year old deal. The Zeta platform/body is pretty good.

But someone needs to try it and see. But I cannot imagine Petes car needing anthing. He has, by far, the best handling G8 in the USA. Mike Haddad, as of thursday, will have the second best handling G8. I cannot go into the reasons as of yet, but Pete's cars are always our testing cars here in the states and he is testing some new stuff! Mike has his old stuff going on tomorrow.

My concern is someone doing the subframe connectors first, and not the bushings. That would be a BIG mistake

thanks
mike
dms

jbradsh1
11-13-2008, 05:35 AM
I wish so too.

Hey Tom; got a good quote from Livernois on the non DOD cam package and I'm trying to work out the logistics of time off and driving from Tampa, FL up to Detroit. With their stage one cam, do you think I will want a TQ? Livernois says it's not necessary but I'm thinking maybe a low stall TQ might be a good idea, say around 2400 to 2600 (Yanks makes what they call a 2600 stealth TQ). What's your take on this? Charlie, if you're reading this reply, jump in if you want to!

wreckwriter
11-13-2008, 06:24 AM
Hey Tom; got a good quote from Livernois on the non DOD cam package and I'm trying to work out the logistics of time off and driving from Tampa, FL up to Detroit. With their stage one cam, do you think I will want a TQ? Livernois says it's not necessary but I'm thinking maybe a low stall TQ might be a good idea, say around 2400 to 2600 (Yanks makes what they call a 2600 stealth TQ). What's your take on this? Charlie, if you're reading this reply, jump in if you want to!

Jeff, I'm not the guy to ask about converters right now. I did not have a good experience with mine and the jury is still out as to why. Most folks have real good results, I didn't. Hopefully I'll know more soon but for now I think it's best I keep mostly quiet on the subject.

GeorgeInNePa
11-13-2008, 06:25 AM
With a cam, you will have traction issues, with a cam and converter, your tire dealer is going to be your new best friend.

lol

The converter will get you to your "powerband" quicker.

jbradsh1
11-13-2008, 01:40 PM
With a cam, you will have traction issues, with a cam and converter, your tire dealer is going to be your new best friend.

lol

Could be that's why Livernois said the TQ isn't necessary. I mean the car can be a beast as it is now let alone with a cam. Evidently a high performance cam doesn't necessarily kill the low end torque, to the point where you would need a TQ to pick up the slack.

jbradsh1
11-13-2008, 01:41 PM
Jeff, I'm not the guy to ask about converters right now. I did not have a good experience with mine and the jury is still out as to why. Most folks have real good results, I didn't. Hopefully I'll know more soon but for now I think it's best I keep mostly quiet on the subject.

Thanks Tom. I'm still on the fence but you know me well enough to know that I study, study, study, and then either do it or not depending on what I find out.

DarkPhoenix
11-30-2008, 05:30 AM
Anyone install a set yet?

wreckwriter
11-30-2008, 05:34 AM
Anyone install a set yet?

Nope, they didn't ship til Wed and UPS took Thurs and Friday off.

99-LS1-SS
11-30-2008, 05:37 AM
VERY true statement!

And it will keep you there longer once you're moving.

Panther 2
11-30-2008, 10:44 AM
A TQ and a good race tire will make your car fly. The weight of these cars are killing the 60' times , after watching how well a converter helped GeorgeInNePa launch , I'm convinced they are needed for good 60' times ie: good ETs.

jbradsh1
12-08-2008, 04:26 PM
Let's all move to Texas!:woohoo:

BSmith
12-09-2008, 05:27 AM
Could be that's why Livernois said the TQ isn't necessary. I mean the car can be a beast as it is now let alone with a cam. Evidently a high performance cam doesn't necessarily kill the low end torque, to the point where you would need a TQ to pick up the slack.

I don't do much drag racing, but I've never understood the guys that are fighting with traction wanting more low end torque.

But you are correct, there is no reason a cam would kill your low end torque. Typically though that cam isn't going to be a revver though, but you will have a gain over stock.

99-LS1-SS
12-09-2008, 05:36 AM
I don't do much drag racing, but I've never understood the guys that are fighting with traction wanting more low end torque.

But you are correct, there is no reason a cam would kill your low end torque. Typically though that cam isn't going to be a revver though, but you will have a gain over stock.

Fighting traction is like balancing on a knife blade. If you can do it successfully then you feel like you're the man. If you can't, then it's fun to do long smoky burnouts!! The way I see it, it's a win win situation.

mjduell2009
12-10-2008, 12:15 PM
Nope, they didn't ship til Wed and UPS took Thurs and Friday off.

Hi Tom,
So I see you have the BMR connectors installed. What are your thoughts from a stiffening and handling stand-point. You know I am building more for road-racing and not concerned so much with off-the-line performance.

--Mike

wreckwriter
12-10-2008, 12:47 PM
Hi Tom,
So I see you have the BMR connectors installed. What are your thoughts from a stiffening and handling stand-point. You know I am building more for road-racing and not concerned so much with off-the-line performance.

--Mike

Hi Mike, to be honest its hard to say as I don't really thrash the car on corners. I do feel that I can feel a difference though, feels a bit more solid cornering I think.

BMR Tech
12-13-2008, 02:02 PM
Hi Mike, to be honest its hard to say as I don't really thrash the car on corners. I do feel that I can feel a difference though, feels a bit more solid cornering I think.

Glad to see you finally got your parts :) We havent been very active on the board do to for some reason we cannot log on at our office.......we are working on it now. Let me know if you have any questions regarding our products. Many more are on the way :headbang:

Lee Spicher