PDA

View Full Version : Steering Wheel Instructions

Crazy Paul
11-10-2008, 09:22 AM
http://picsorban.com/upload/steering.jpg

In MS Word Doc Format (with pics).

Removal [529kB]
[/URL] (http://www.forum.grrrr8.net/www.grrrr8.net/Documents/Sports%20Steering%20Wheel%20Instructions-REMOVAL.doc)http://www.grrrr8.net/Documents/Sports Steering Wheel Instructions-REMOVAL.doc (http://www.grrrr8.net/Documents/Sports%20Steering%20Wheel%20Instructions-REMOVAL.doc)

Install [295kB]
[URL="http://www.grrrr8.net/Documents/Sports%20Steering%20Wheel%20Instructions-INSTALL.doc"]http://www.grrrr8.net/Documents/Sports Steering Wheel Instructions-INSTALL.doc (http://www.forum.grrrr8.net/www.grrrr8.net/Documents/Sports%20Steering%20Wheel%20Instructions-INSTALL.doc)

Both Docs updated with new better diagrams . Re-numbered the steps in both Docs.

BlownG8GT
11-10-2008, 08:09 PM
Nice work Paul! I just got back into the groove after the 11 days in Las Vegas. I will be contacting you about the two wheels and knobs shortly!

616 of 933
11-12-2009, 04:28 PM
install instructions not opening

Crazy Paul
11-12-2009, 04:43 PM
The link still works here.
I'll e-mail the instructions to you.

616 of 933
11-12-2009, 04:46 PM
tanks. it was just computer problems. Dam Apple LOL

Crazy Paul
11-12-2009, 04:49 PM
Ahhh OK
Well I already e-mailed it to your work, if the steering wheel ever falls off one of your boats you'll be well prepared.

:woohoo:

616 of 933
11-12-2009, 06:21 PM
Lol

legion455
12-26-2009, 01:56 PM
I just did the Steering Wheel on my G8 ...

and from what I had to do, ... I'm thinking that the re-install instructions might go better if one where to do this sequence...

Pre Lim ... put steering wheel 90 degrees to the right, in the beginning ... then don't move it, ... do all instructions without moving
steering wheel. (ie put key in ignition just to move wheel only), ... then remove key,... remove fuse, remove, battery cable , then follow all other directions for removing old steering wheel (but do so without moving wheel)

Installing new steering wheel:
1. Put trim and switches on new steering wheel.
2. Install Lower Steering column trim panel.
3. Install Upper Steering Column trim panel.
4. Install new Steering Wheel, ... torque T50.
5. Connect wiring from airbag .,..
6. Push on Airbag until it clicks into place.

It's extremely difficult to install the lower and upper trim panels with the steering wheel already installed on the column.... because of the two white tabs that fit on the lower panel.

Maybe someone can try this and see how it works for you.
take care
Allen

Crazy Paul
12-26-2009, 02:43 PM
Some people have done the steering wheel install without even removing the steering column trim panels. Then again some people are more agile, careful and mechanically minded than others.
We have to be mindful that whatever Instructions are provided will suit all people. The Holden Instructions err on the side of caution and remove and replace the steering column trim panels in the same order as the Instructions provided above.

When I get time I'll re-investigate the key in ignition sections of the Instructions. Currently the steering lock prevents rotating the wheel 90 degrees with no key in the ignition. The key can be in the ignition but only turned enough to dis-engage the steering lock. Turn the key too far to the right with no battery cable or airbag fuse and another drama can occur.

-Ray-
09-26-2010, 04:39 AM
Some people have done the steering wheel install without even removing the steering column trim panels. Then again some people are more agile, careful and mechanically minded than others.
We have to be mindful that whatever Instructions are provided will suit all people. The Holden Instructions err on the side of caution and remove and replace the steering column trim panels in the same order as the Instructions provided above.

When I get time I'll re-investigate the key in ignition sections of the Instructions. Currently the steering lock prevents rotating the wheel 90 degrees with no key in the ignition. The key can be in the ignition but only turned enough to dis-engage the steering lock. Turn the key too far to the right with no battery cable or airbag fuse and another drama can occur.

CP, have you investigated this yet.

Crazy Paul
09-27-2010, 02:52 AM
CP, have you investigated this yet.

No, I forgot all about it.
Will try to remember next time someone leaves their VE keys laying around.

warbird
10-13-2010, 11:38 AM
Not sure if this will completely clarify the key sequence, but should help anyone who hasn't replaced theirs yet.
I started with the wheel at 90 degrees, then disconnected battery and fuse per directions.
I only removed the upper cover (if you dont, I dont think you can get enough leverage to undo the airbag clip), which is very easy, tried the lower but i would have broke a tab as almost everyone else did. As most have indicated the wheel will be locked, as CP indicated you dont want to turn to far. Best description is to gently apply pressure to steering wheel while slightly turning the key, as soon as wheel gives stop turning key.
I realized after reinstalling the wheel that I had forgot to reinstall the 2 lower screw's for the silver trim piece, could have left it this way but trim was a little loose and thought I might snag it and break it during track maneuvers.
Since i now had it down pat I decided to remove again to reinstall screw's, during the unistall I turned the key too far and it became locked in place, I reattached just the battery cable and unlocked the key, removed the cable and proceeded with unistall and reinstall.
The only consequence in my case was loosing presets for climate, radio, miles driven /yet to go, and TPMS recognition. Radio reset to my setting within 2 minutes, TPMS recognized after a few hundred feet. Only loss was current mpg and mileage on that tank of fuel. I am sure though that the ECM recorded some kind of event.
The initial install probably took close to 2 hrs, 2nd time 1/2 hour even with key mistake.

TurboMike
10-14-2010, 08:36 AM
It should be noted theres an error in these instructions (which is also in my G8 shop manuals). After your airbag is out you need to unplug the wiring harness from the clockspring that goes over the torx center nut to get the nut off and wheel free. These instructions and the G8 shop manuals both have pictures pointing to the wrong place to unplug the harness.

"11: Disconnect the Steering Wheel Controls Electrical Connector (2)." When you look at arrow #2 it points to the harness at the top of the steering wheel. This is where the wires come out of the clockspring and is NOT a connector even tho theres a plastic clip there. The plastic clip is where the wires change from a flat wire to 6 individual wires and if you try and pull it out and break that connector you've just destroyed the entire clock spring. Ask me how I know, and how difficult it is to get another clockspring.

The correct connector you want to unplug is at the bottom of the steering wheel where the wires go back behind the steering wheel. Thats a plug.

thrustie
04-07-2013, 05:26 PM
Sorry to bump an old thread, was wondering if all you who have done a wheel swap could help me figure out Step 7 - how the release the tension on the Module spring using the flathead screw driver. I turn the wheel and have tried every side flathead I have around and just about every way I can push/turn/spin a screw driver with no luck. Any tips or tricks as I literally gave up after about 30 minutes messing with it. Thanks a lot.

Kyle

Crazy Paul
04-07-2013, 05:39 PM
help me figure out Step 7 - how the release the tension on the Module spring using the flathead screw driver.
The pictures marked "Latched" and "Unlatched" can't be any clearer.
It needs to be a very large screwdriver or similar tool....it takes grunt to lever against the spring tension.

LDM
04-07-2013, 05:52 PM
Here's a picture from the front side after the airbag is popped out that shows what's going on.

http://i843.photobucket.com/albums/zz352/lenmartin23/G8/AirbagRemoval.jpg

Like Paul said, it has to be a pretty big bladed screwdriver, the problem is it can't be that long or else it interferes with the instrument cluster. It is a pain in the ass to do.

LDM
04-07-2013, 06:23 PM
For reference, this is what the GM special tool for airbag removal looks like.

http://forum.grrrr8.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=18421&d=1365387602

I used a screwdriver, and because of the straight handle I couldn't get much prying leverage to move the spring, but with a wide enough blade and a twisting motion it was able to pry the spring away enough to release the clip

thrustie
04-07-2013, 07:19 PM
Thanks a lot for the replys guys. Much appreciate. I understand the instructions and supporting pictures can't be any clearer Paul, I work on cars all the time and do my own modding, I just didn't feel like mucking up the holes anymore than I already have turning a large flathead in them.

Thanks Len, I hear ya with the large flatheads. I rotated the wheel so the holes were at the bottom so I could sneak a larger flathead in there from the bottom without being right up against the cluster. I will try giving the module a wiggle and some support like noted in the instructions and give another go tomorrow.

Kyle

hazards280
04-20-2013, 02:00 PM
Here's a picture from the front side after the airbag is popped out that shows what's going on.

http://i843.photobucket.com/albums/zz352/lenmartin23/G8/AirbagRemoval.jpg

Like Paul said, it has to be a pretty big bladed screwdriver, the problem is it can't be that long or else it interferes with the instrument cluster. It is a pain in the ass to do.

Just to make sure I have this 100% right. (I'm concerned about setting my airbag off). I would unplug both of the center connections on the airbag and the six prong connection that is on the bottom inside of the steering wheel? The instructions are showing to unplug the connection at the top of the inside of the steering wheel.

LDM
04-20-2013, 02:10 PM
When I had everything unplugged and the wheel removed, this is what it looked like.

http://i843.photobucket.com/albums/zz352/lenmartin23/G8/PA140009.jpg

cashie
04-24-2013, 03:15 AM
When I lever off the airbag, I normally use two screwdrivers, one in the hole and another to lever the first screwdriver off partly inserted in the hole (if this makes sense).

Crazy Paul
04-24-2013, 12:32 PM
When I lever off the airbag, I normally use two screwdrivers, one in the hole and another to lever the first screwdriver off partly inserted in the hole (if this makes sense).
Makes sense to me.
You've changed more VE steering wheels than anyone else I know.
:)

CommodoreG8
07-05-2013, 07:31 AM
So what if you've got the battery disconnected and the airbag fuse out, you're one clip away from releasing the airbag, but you turned the key in the ignition and now the key won't come out? Did I just totally botch this? :(

jonesusmc84
07-05-2013, 08:33 AM
Key wont come out because you have no power. once you reconnect the battery you can remove the key.

CommodoreG8
07-05-2013, 03:51 PM
Thanks! I got it out and got the new wheel on. Was just hoping I wasn't about to screw something up. That's pretty regular for me lol.

J Wikoff
07-05-2013, 05:55 PM
You also probably discharged your one time use OnStar battery.

GT-610
05-09-2015, 07:56 AM
Just did mine today on my 08' GT. The hardest parts were getting that center torx drive screw off( it was on twice as tight as a lug nut) and then during final reinstall it was hard to get the lower column trim back into the pins by the wheel-aaaargh!!!

Wagonbacker9
09-11-2015, 04:24 PM
It should be noted theres an error in these instructions (which is also in my G8 shop manuals). After your airbag is out you need to unplug the wiring harness from the clockspring that goes over the torx center nut to get the nut off and wheel free. These instructions and the G8 shop manuals both have pictures pointing to the wrong place to unplug the harness.

"11: Disconnect the Steering Wheel Controls Electrical Connector (2)." When you look at arrow #2 it points to the harness at the top of the steering wheel. This is where the wires come out of the clockspring and is NOT a connector even tho theres a plastic clip there. The plastic clip is where the wires change from a flat wire to 6 individual wires and if you try and pull it out and break that connector you've just destroyed the entire clock spring. Ask me how I know, and how difficult it is to get another clockspring.

The correct connector you want to unplug is at the bottom of the steering wheel where the wires go back behind the steering wheel. Thats a plug.

Thank you for saving my ass... Several years later.

tchr49
03-24-2018, 03:50 AM
Like others have posted, make sure you put the upper and lower trim pieces on the column before you reinstall the wheel.

GXPaycheck
11-16-2020, 04:19 PM
Bringing back an old thread, I'm swapping steering wheels and for the life of I cant get the clips to release. I can move the springs, just not quite enough to get them to go. Any suggestions?
And on a side note, anybody figure out how to turn the wheel without killing the onstar battery?