PDA

View Full Version : Oil | pennzoil platinum ultra

G8Geek
05-24-2010, 11:35 AM
With a name "Platinum Ultra" and recommended by Ferrari, I decided to try it on my G8. Has anybody heard anything "bad" regarding this oil. Just like fuel, I like to change up the oil from time to time... Mobil1, Castrol SynTec, Ultra Premium, etc.

One guy was telling me after the second oil change, your engine will be as clean as when it left the factory (LOL). After 3-5K I'll smash it and most likely I'll see the same deposits leave my exhaust pipes. I believe that is still the best way to clean out your engine :-)

http://www.pennzoil.com/#/motor-oil/pennzoil-ultra/

SRG963
05-24-2010, 12:04 PM
You're not the only one, lol. I started with Mobile 1, then Royal Purple, then Edge, currently running PP, and up next is PU (Pennzoil Ultra). I like the fact that Pennzoil used our car for a commercial.

G8Geek
05-25-2010, 07:54 AM
Never knew Pennzoil used our car http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7SQLWrwCqM in their video albeit not "Ultra". I do have to say that the cars engine does respond "smoother", there is definitely a difference from the other oils I've used. I don't think I'm drinking the "Kool-Aid", there is really a difference, right?

Also, I hear a lot of people putting in 9qts... I actually like to run my G8 a little past the second hole in the dip stick. One time I put 9qts in and it seemed like it thrashed and the engine was sluggish. At least I can say, my G8 runs best with 8 quarts.

The Yeti
06-14-2010, 11:17 PM
I've been using pennzoil platinum ultra since day one and never had any issues. I change my oil every 4k and it has always looked flawless.

hflores3
06-18-2010, 02:56 AM
I work for Pennzoil. Make fun of all the claims you want - I've been to our technology center and watched the tests. This stuff works. Have I drank the "koolaide?" - perhaps but I"m NOT willing to gamble with my G8 L76 over the long haul.

Your car. Clearly your choice. ......I ran Pennzoil Platinum since the day I bought the car. I switched to Ultra when it came out and will continue to do so. I've invested a sizeable amount of money in this car and I want this L76 runing strong for years to come.

This is clearly a "marketplace" - choose what you want. I'm doing Ultra over the long haul.

G8Geek
06-20-2010, 05:25 AM
You have to admit, marketing can stretch the truth :-) At any rate, we're all on the same page here, the Ultra is some good stuff! Keep up the good work @ Pennzoil!

Griffin
06-22-2010, 06:55 AM
Just changed mine to Castrol Edge 5W-30 at 4K. Changed out the factory oil at 1K and have been running that Mobil 1 0W-30 fuel economy. Wanted to get it out of the engine before it gets really hot since I've found out it's one of the thinner 30 weights. Taking couple day road trip soon, I'll check back in afterwards and let you know my mpgs and if I noticed any differences between Mobil 1 & Castrol Edge. Sounds like I need to try out Penzoil Ultra next, especially if some of you are noticing a difference.

Chewy
06-22-2010, 08:02 AM
So I've bought 12 quarts of oil in the past 3 days. 6 for my F-150 4x4 which were the Edge (I was thinking with my dipstick Jimmy) and 6 of the 15,000 mile Mobil 1 which is also a TRUE synthetic and not just a very refined dino with syn stabilizers for our Enclave. I wanted to get the Ultra super duper Penn. but both O O O Oreily's and Auto-Zone were out.

I'm sure anyone of the three are just fine. I think people put to much pressure on what oil is the best. A good quality TRUE synthetic will give you years and years of protection and service.

Chris

Griffin
06-28-2010, 06:04 PM
Just got back from my trip to Memphis last night. Round trip was about 1,100 miles. I got somewhere between 25-26 MPG's while going through the hills of Kentucky and Tennessee at 70-80 mph! A/C was on whole way, my exterior temp read somewhere between 93 and 99 for most of the trip, and roughly 500 lbs of people and luggage. My car is mostly stock. Performance wise it has a VMS HSRK and wix air filter in the factory airbox and a billet catch can for longevity. Other than that, it is completely stock running on the 19" sport package.

As noted above, I changed oil from Mobil 1 0W-30 "fuel economy" to Castrol Edge 5W-30. The only difference I could tell was that my afm would stay active on the highway up to 25.8%. With Mobil 1, it would only go to 25.0% in engineering mode b4 going "all active." I don't think my fuel economy was significantly different nor was anything else noticeably different between the two oils. Found myself in afm mode going downhill at 80-85 mph and was able to hold speeds on relatively flat ground up to about 80 mph. The trick was not using the cruise control as this would bump the throttle past 25.8%. To get afm back on, the throttle would then have to dip down to 20%. This is why I think most people seem to notice the afm stopping to activate much past 70 mph. Car also seemed to have 2 spots at roughly 68 and 78 mph where it was making more power and would stay in afm easier.

Overall, I came away very impressed with the G8 on this trip. The steering feel and overall handling make this a great car to drive on the highway. Plenty of room for the family and the big v8 just loafing through the mountains at 1700 - 2000 rpms and never needing to downshift was the icing on the cake. Next trip, I recommend leaving the minivan parked in the garage!

G8H8
06-28-2010, 08:04 PM
Just got back from my trip to Memphis last night. Round trip was about 1,100 miles. I got somewhere between 25-26 MPG's while going through the hills of Kentucky and Tennessee at 70-80 mph! A/C was on whole way, my exterior temp read somewhere between 93 and 99 for most of the trip, and roughly 500 lbs of people and luggage. My car is mostly stock. Performance wise it has a VMS HSRK and wix air filter in the factory airbox and a billet catch can for longevity. Other than that, it is completely stock running on the 19" sport package.

As noted above, I changed oil from Mobil 1 0W-30 "fuel economy" to Castrol Edge 5W-30. The only difference I could tell was that my afm would stay active on the highway up to 25.8%. With Mobil 1, it would only go to 25.0% in engineering mode b4 going "all active." I don't think my fuel economy was significantly different nor was anything else noticeably different between the two oils. Found myself in afm mode going downhill at 80-85 mph and was able to hold speeds on relatively flat ground up to about 80 mph. The trick was not using the cruise control as this would bump the throttle past 25.8%. To get afm back on, the throttle would then have to dip down to 20%. This is why I think most people seem to notice the afm stopping to activate much past 70 mph. Car also seemed to have 2 spots at roughly 68 and 78 mph where it was making more power and would stay in afm easier.

Overall, I came away very impressed with the G8 on this trip. The steering feel and overall handling make this a great car to drive on the highway. Plenty of room for the family and the big v8 just loafing through the mountains at 1700 - 2000 rpms and never needing to downshift was the icing on the cake. Next trip, I recommend leaving the minivan parked in the garage!

I have to concur. I have run edge since 6k. My last trip was 1700 miles one way. Got 25mpg both ways. I noticed the sweet spot for AFM was 74mph. Got to change her out this weekend as she will have about 7k on this oil. I also run K&N oil filter as well.