PDA

View Full Version : If you could only pick one for power....cam or LT headers?

arcticT
11-06-2008, 03:35 PM
Right now my car is bone stock. My plan was to get a CAI and tune right away. I have a bit more funds to play with but not much. I could either do LT headers or a cam but not both. Sound means absolutely nothing to me at this point....I'm only looking for as much power as possible and I kind of like the stealth approach so I'm leaving the stock axle-back. I realize the combo together is the way to go but I'll just have to get the other one later on down the road. What do you guys suggest?

wreckwriter
11-06-2008, 03:37 PM
Any gains from a cam will be greatly lessened going through stock exhaust. If you absolutely can't have both I'd get the headers. really though I'd try hard to get both.

wreckwriter
11-06-2008, 03:43 PM
Realistically you'll probably gain more power from the cam but you will not see it's full potential thru stock exhaust.

Andy@Livernois
11-06-2008, 03:45 PM
headers now, cam later if you just have to do something right now... but really, I would just save your money and do it all together...

GRRRR8
11-06-2008, 04:29 PM
Cam with install is twice the cost of headers so make sure you factor in your install costs.

-Ray-
11-06-2008, 05:01 PM
headers

todds87ss
11-06-2008, 05:17 PM
I love the lumpy sound of a high lift long duration cam. Sound doesn't always get you down the track first, though. Given your requirements, I would agree that a set of long tubes (can I still say that) with your stock axle back will get you exactly what you want.

arcticT
11-06-2008, 05:35 PM
Thanks for all the replys fellas. If I do headers I will be installing them myself but the cam I will have to have done. Can some of the vendors (or anyone for that matter) chime in on what it costs to have a cam kit installed? I assume I would have to do an actual dyno tune as opposed to a mail-in tune if I did a cam right?

EDIT: I just read in the Livernois thread where he said somewhere in the 3500-3600 range with a tune. Wow that is a little steeper than I expected. That would pretty much eat up every penny I have for the car. Although it looks like maybe a little over 400 to the ground with headers, etc. Wouldn't you expect somewhere in the 380 range without headers? I may be way off but it seems like I would be in the 350-370 range with only LT's, CAI and tune and around 380 or so with cam, CAI and tune. Am I way off in leftfield somewhere?

99-LS1-SS
11-06-2008, 05:58 PM
What area of the country do you live in?

arcticT
11-06-2008, 06:00 PM
Right in the middle. OKC, OK. Going to update my profile now.

G8GTlawride
11-06-2008, 06:42 PM
Cam with install is twice the cost of headers so make sure you factor in your install costs.

What are the typical install costs for non-DOD cams?

-Ray-
11-07-2008, 03:29 AM
Thanks for all the replys fellas. If I do headers I will be installing them myself but the cam I will have to have done. Can some of the vendors (or anyone for that matter) chime in on what it costs to have a cam kit installed? I assume I would have to do an actual dyno tune as opposed to a mail-in tune if I did a cam right?

EDIT: I just read in the Livernois thread where he said somewhere in the 3500-3600 range with a tune. Wow that is a little steeper than I expected. That would pretty much eat up every penny I have for the car. Although it looks like maybe a little over 400 to the ground with headers, etc. Wouldn't you expect somewhere in the 380 range without headers? I may be way off but it seems like I would be in the 350-370 range with only LT's, CAI and tune and around 380 or so with cam, CAI and tune. Am I way off in leftfield somewhere?
No, it seems s if you have been reading the threads. I'm at 368 torque without the cam.

wreckwriter
11-07-2008, 05:04 AM
What are the typical install costs for non-DOD cams?

I'm estimating but I'd say 2500 minimum with install.

Andy@Livernois
11-07-2008, 06:41 AM
with all the parts and labor to install you are about 3500-3600 for install and dyno tune on the non-dod cam and related hardware...

arcticT
11-07-2008, 08:28 AM
How about a dod cam? I assume that requires less hardware....but also less power from what I'm reading.

Andy@Livernois
11-07-2008, 08:39 AM
and a much higher risk of failure. It is plainly a bad idea in my opinion. As Charlie has stated the lifters are prone to noise after realeated 1/4 mile runs with the stock cam, things would only get worse with a bigger cam and upgraded springs...

GRRRR8
11-07-2008, 08:40 AM
Mike @ New Era got over 400hp with a DOD cam. I just think that if you are going to do it get rid of the DOD so the lifters wont be an issue at hi-rpms.

Tom@ARH
11-07-2008, 10:37 AM
I agree with what everybody else said headers first so when it comes time for a cam you'll be ready and who knows what may be available for these cars in the next couple of months. If your going to due the header install yourself your looking at less than half the expense. If you need help with a system give us a call

arcticT
11-07-2008, 10:57 AM
All great points....seems like you've talked me into headers. Now to decide on which ones. I guess the one's to have are either Kooks or ARH with maybe a lean toward ARH? How about JBA long tubes? I'm sure this has been discussed over and over but I can't seem to find much info on the JBA's. The shorties yes, but not the LT's. My mind is like a sponge right now guys.....need lots of info!

-Ray-
11-07-2008, 10:58 AM
Can't go wrong with American Racing long tubes. Bolt your mufflers on and you are ready to go.
Vehicle inspections in OK?

Steve
11-07-2008, 11:05 AM
Don't even think about anything else.. ARH all the way. Time and again they've proven to have an outstanding product and excellent customer service!

G8GTlawride
11-07-2008, 11:10 AM
^+1. ARH is the one IMO. Customer friendly and when you call you get a live person from the company to answer your questions and believe me, I had plenty. But, the install went as planned with no issues. Your going to like the power improvement!

Andy@Livernois
11-07-2008, 11:14 AM
All great points....seems like you've talked me into headers. Now to decide on which ones. I guess the one's to have are either Kooks or ARH with maybe a lean toward ARH? How about JBA long tubes? I'm sure this has been discussed over and over but I can't seem to find much info on the JBA's. The shorties yes, but not the LT's. My mind is like a sponge right now guys.....need lots of info!

I myself lean towards kooks, but both are very good products. We use Kooks headers on about 99% of the cars we build, whether our own Shop cars, or customers cars.

As far as JBA goes, they are ok, but we have far better results w/ kooks then JBA...

arcticT
11-07-2008, 11:45 AM
Can't go wrong with American Racing long tubes. Bolt your mufflers on and you are ready to go.
Vehicle inspections in OK?

Nope...no cats for me!!:D By "mufflers" are you refering to the stock axle-back or aftermarket mufflers? My plan will be LT's, no cats, X-pipe and stock axle-back.

Also, at what point should I step up to 1 7/8?

GRRRR8
11-07-2008, 11:53 AM
If you plan on future mods get 1 7/8 now!

Andy@Livernois
11-07-2008, 11:57 AM
if you plan on future mods get 1 7/8 now!

werd!!!