PDA

View Full Version : repainting the car matte black....?

bradshow
05-13-2010, 09:02 AM
So since the car got beat up pretty good from hail I'm tossing the idea around since the car is black aready to fix the dents and respray black with the matte clear. I've been wanting a matte car for a while now and will also pretty much murder the car out, black everything. Looking for a hot rod shop local to OKC and we'll see what happens.

Opinions?

616 of 933
05-13-2010, 09:05 AM
i would like to see it. If not you could always do the roof

TomPierce
05-13-2010, 10:56 AM
Back in the day, I murdered a '64 Dodge Dart (only we called it blacking-out) using dark grey primer. The only real drawback is that other drivers don't / can't see you as well (especially at night). There seemed to be an unusual number of drivers screeching to a halt just behind me for some reason...

SpeedRacerX
05-13-2010, 11:51 AM
I saw a Porsche Carrera GT done in Matte Black. It was sinister. I like the whole look but would need to see a rendering on a G8 though to be sure.

DRCUSTOMPARTS
05-13-2010, 12:57 PM
Don't do it, it will look terrible. I've never seen a matte black car that looked good, it looks like someone is too cheap to afford a paint job.

bradshow
05-13-2010, 01:41 PM
Don't do it, it will look terrible. I've never seen a matte black car that looked good, it looks like someone is too cheap to afford a paint job.

Thats why I'm searching out a custom hot rod shop and not just a regular body shop. I've seen some pretty nasty attempts at matte black in which most are just primer or spray paint. the correct way is to actually buy the right paint and prep the car correctly. it will still have a clear coat. I will also probably have the SS badging ghosted in along with the 6.0 and a pontiac emblem in the front. waiting on a few rod shops that I have contacted to get back with me. I think its going to be a real eye catcher once I get the wheels painted and all the chrome and trim blacked out. Thinking of having the spoiler moulded to the trunk lid as well

polo
05-13-2010, 02:07 PM
Personally, I don't think it will look good. Matte black accents (hood, trunk, etc) would be fine, but I just don't believe the whole car done in matte black would look good.

SRG963
05-13-2010, 02:26 PM
There are some killer matte black cars on Google http://www.google.com/images?q=matte+black+car&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=j3zsS82aC4WclgeTs8i1CA&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CB0QsAQwAA

SRG963
05-13-2010, 02:34 PM
Like these
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm227/srg963/buillit-black-arrow2.jpg
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm227/srg963/bmw-m3-black-matte.jpg
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm227/srg963/matte-black-at-genev-3_460x0w.jpg

polo
05-13-2010, 02:39 PM
There are some killer matte black cars on Google http://www.google.com/images?q=matte+black+car&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=j3zsS82aC4WclgeTs8i1CA&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CB0QsAQwAA

That M5 looks okay, but it's the only one that I kind of like. I have to agree with Don in saying that it looks like the car has a cheap paint job. I could see doing it on an older and cheaper car, but it's not something I'd attempt on a practically brand new one. I had considered doing it on my old K5 Blazer, but that was only because I could get the paint really cheap from a Tractor Supply store.

Don't let that stop you though, because it may end up looking great. It's your car and if you like the look, go for it!

travis gore
05-13-2010, 02:54 PM
I like it,looks mean. I am lazy sometimes, so not waxing might be good

bradshow
05-13-2010, 02:58 PM
yeah, that BMW is what sold me on doing the G8, that thing looks sick. any photoshop guys out there that can do a G8 rendering?

DRCUSTOMPARTS
05-13-2010, 02:59 PM
Anyone who thinks those black cars look good has no taste for style. It looks like they were spray painted with a flat black rattle can. :facepalm:

wreckwriter
05-13-2010, 03:21 PM
Guess I got no taste for style :D

bradshow
05-13-2010, 03:38 PM
there's been a revelation, apparently a good majority of the high end cars that are matte black are actually wrapped in vinyl:

http://picasaweb.google.com/skinzwraps/SkinzWrapsMatteBlack#

a place in dallas does this, I'm looking into it

GeorgeInNePa
05-13-2010, 04:31 PM
Anyone who thinks those black cars look good has no taste for style. It looks like they were spray painted with a flat black rattle can. :facepalm:

There's a reason they make chocolate and vanilla.

I love the matte black look and am trying to find a local shop to do mine.

MANOFSTEEL69
05-13-2010, 04:49 PM
I have even thought about doing mine completely flat. But I'm going to have my SVT done instead.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

GeorgeInNePa
05-13-2010, 04:51 PM
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=376442

irnwkrkev
05-13-2010, 04:58 PM
I considered vinyl but is as costly as a good paint job. I was quoted $3,000 from one shop. They also recommend not leaving the vinyl on more than 2 years in the S. Fla. sun. The warranty on the vinyl is much more than that though- something like 5 or 7 years. Alot of the high end cars use the wrap because it supposedly protects the paint and can be removed as though it were never there. There are some horror stories about it ruining paint jobs, and removing it costs as well. Since your car has body damage I would say go with paint as the body will need all the prep work anyway.

Snakey
05-13-2010, 05:08 PM
I think it would have some appeal in the beginning and then get old really quick. But to each their own! If your the one with the money, you can make it however you want!

99-LS1-SS
05-13-2010, 05:28 PM
Guess I got no taste for style :D

Me either I guess. I think black cars, IF they have enough ass to back it up, look cool as hell!

Just make sure you use a shop that has done this and done it well. Matte/flat black cars aren't as easy to paint well as it might seem. You don't get to sand any runs or trash out.

Punisher
05-13-2010, 05:44 PM
If it looks anything like that beemer then I think your car will look sick

wnt2gofst
05-13-2010, 06:17 PM
I thought of this but decided against it...Its your car and as mention if looks like bimmer then it should look good. I heard bad things about the paint though..chips, finger prints, etc.

bradshow
05-13-2010, 06:45 PM

just read the whole thread, seems like finding quality vinyl is the issue, but hell for 500-600 bucks, I can tackle that job on my own.

JVH1982
05-14-2010, 09:23 AM
I believe I would go for a Satin finish. It's a happy medium between matte/flat and gloss. The Dodge Viper Concept car was painted in that fashion.http://www.motorator.com/images/blog_archives/2007/06/2008_viper_concept_1.jpg

Greg@PacePerformance
05-14-2010, 09:44 AM
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/i3LPfHk3gKo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/i3LPfHk3gKo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>Just do this to it

GRRRR8
05-14-2010, 09:49 AM
Those guys have some skillz!

Rawyzf
05-14-2010, 10:01 AM
I like it, seen a tahoe with a Matte finish on the road the other day and it was sweet!

Everyone has thier own opinion though.

irnwkrkev
05-14-2010, 12:13 PM
Looks like you would need a good bit of practice to learn the tips and tricks.....As well as at least two skilled helpers!

bradshow
05-14-2010, 04:20 PM
yep, from what I can find the going price for quality vinyl is about $600 a roll. One roll being enough to do 2 full sized cars. As soon as my car gets out of the shop from the paintless dent removal I am going to order the vinyl and start with the hood, roof and truck and see what it looks like, if its good then I will continue with the rest of the car. I will take photos and build a DIY thread. Most likely wont start until mid june and will give myself about a week to finish.

Questions for yall:

What is a good chemical to strip the wax and gunk off the car that wont harm th clear coat? (I plan to claybar the car as well)
Do the vent openings on the hood come off or are they permenately attached?
For those that have taken the spoiler off, is it just double sided taped on or are there bolts holding it on?
How hard is it to take the door handles and roof antenna off?

GeorgeInNePa
05-14-2010, 07:03 PM
yep, from what I can find the going price for quality vinyl is about $600 a roll. One roll being enough to do 2 full sized cars. As soon as my car gets out of the shop from the paintless dent removal I am going to order the vinyl and start with the hood, roof and truck and see what it looks like, if its good then I will continue with the rest of the car. I will take photos and build a DIY thread. Most likely wont start until mid june and will give myself about a week to finish.

Questions for yall:

What is a good chemical to strip the wax and gunk off the car that wont harm th clear coat? (I plan to claybar the car as well)
Do the vent openings on the hood come off or are they permenately attached?
For those that have taken the spoiler off, is it just double sided taped on or are there bolts holding it on?
How hard is it to take the door handles and roof antenna off?

The hood vents pop out.

The door handles have a bolt that goes in from the striker side of the door. Search for my post on swappingthe blacked out handles.

The antenna base comes off. Look for the shark fin posts.

The spoiler has bolts. Look under the deck lid...

08G8V8
05-14-2010, 07:13 PM
Questions for yall:

Wash the car with Dawn dish soap. This will remove all wax. Then clay bar.

peterg22000
05-14-2010, 08:00 PM

the spoiler is a bitch to get off, it might be in your better interest to do it with it on.

if you Really want it off, its two bolts on the end, two long strips of rather gunky twoside tape (front and back edges) and Five plastic studs that are VERY hard to get to release. the last one I did, I damaged the trunk, but it was good that I was painting it anyway.

polo
05-15-2010, 03:36 AM
The hood vents pop out.

The door handles have a bolt that goes in from the striker side of the door. Search for my post on swappingthe blacked out handles.

The antenna base comes off. Look for the shark fin posts.

I thought the headliner inside the car has to be removed in order to get the antenna base off? Doesn't the shark fin use the existing base?

GeorgeInNePa
05-15-2010, 04:18 AM
I thought the headliner inside the car has to be removed in order to get the antenna base off? Doesn't the shark fin use the existing base?

IDK, look for the posts.

;)

09gtt
05-15-2010, 04:20 AM
The matte black cars great sick IMO. I've been wanting to see a g8 done in matte black. Good luck with the project.

blackoutgt
05-15-2010, 09:10 AM
+1

zosoboogie
05-15-2010, 09:07 PM
after a long hiatus from the forum check out this option cheap cheap cheap

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/04/26/how-to-murder-out-your-ride-for-just-120-in-your-garage/

opps repost

markpetersonii
05-15-2010, 10:28 PM
Well, this is one of my plans when I get the G8, now that I see it's a vinyl on most cars, it doesn't matter what color I pick now huh? lol

I love the matte black look! It'll be sick when pulled off on the G8!

Crazy8
05-16-2010, 12:53 AM
I saw a Porsche Carrera GT done in Matte Black. It was sinister. I like the whole look but would need to see a rendering on a G8 though to be sure.

I saw one too while I was in New Orleans. I had a hard time believing someone would do that to a car that costs that much, but it looked cool as hell. I guess if you can afford that car, you aren't worried about spending a few grand on a paint job. Also, I would swear it was Drew Brees driving it, but I had been drinking for a while that night..:drunk:

stryker g8gt
05-16-2010, 04:28 AM

I actually read this whole thread about three days ago.......A lot of good information once the professionals start chiming in half way through, about what to use. I have always been partial to the whole Mad MAX setup when done right.

And anyone who chooses to do something to thier car and personalize it has style...........

Executor999
05-16-2010, 03:42 PM
This might be of interest, at least for pics of cars with matte black 'paint jobs'.
Skinz Wraps, Inc. (http://www.skinzwraps.com/matte-black-wraps.html)

Eric Fischer
07-09-2010, 01:40 AM
I have never been a big fan of the "primered look". As others have said, it just looks unfinished.

'02 ws6
07-09-2010, 03:19 AM
I have never been a big fan of the "primered look". As others have said, it just looks unfinished.

X2

Sent from my SPH-M900 using Tapatalk

bradshow
07-09-2010, 05:46 AM
Cost to have skin works wrap the whole car is around $3500. I haven't found one place that will give me a part number for the vinyl that they use as there is a bunch of kinds made however some are not good quality. Vegasnate has dne his hood, roof and trunk and I think it looks pretty sweet. Still not quite ready to bone out $600 to buy a roll of vinyl and try it myself.

Slizzo
07-22-2010, 12:52 PM
I love the look of a Matte Black paint job. I say go for it.

A proper respray should be affordable. Look at doing your own prep, a lot of labor cost goes into that.

DRCUSTOMPARTS
07-22-2010, 01:45 PM
I went to a car show over the weekend and there was one car out of about 100 that was matte black. I was looking at other hot looking cars in the area of the matte black car, and not one person stopped to look at it. Plus I heard quite a few comments on how terrible it looked. Anyone who says a matted black car looks good has no taste at all when it comes to cars.

bradshow
07-22-2010, 03:16 PM
I went to a car show over the weekend and there was one car out of about 100 that was matte black. I was looking at other hot looking cars in the area of the matte black car, and not one person stopped to look at it. Plus I heard quite a few comments on how terrible it looked. Anyone who says a matted black car looks good has no taste at all when it comes to cars.

Well sir I guess half the people in this thread have no taste then

99-LS1-SS
07-22-2010, 04:26 PM

Allow me to translate what you are saying.

Anyone that doesn't have the same taste as me has bad taste.

DRCUSTOMPARTS
07-22-2010, 05:33 PM
If a matte black car looks so good then how come there's no new cars that come that way? :poke:

Because nobody would buy them. :rofl:

irnwkrkev
07-22-2010, 05:50 PM
+1 I have bad taste!

99-LS1-SS
07-23-2010, 02:06 AM
If a matte black car looks so good then how come there's no new cars that come that way? :poke:

I would imagine because it is expensive to do correctly and it is hard to paint a matte black car correctly and the maintenance is hard on them. Car manufacturers most likely don't want the liability. They are susceptible to scratches and you can't wax most of them.

exesivefire
07-23-2010, 04:47 PM
If you drive the car regularly I would look into the vinyl over the paint, my other "toy" is matte black and it is a PITA to keep clean and it shows flaws worse than anything....

It looks badass IMO though :cool2:

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h299/exesivefire/03fire/9096.jpg

Slizzo
07-23-2010, 06:06 PM
That's a crazy looking sunfire.

At least you've redeemed yourself by owning a G8 also. ;)

exesivefire
07-23-2010, 06:08 PM
That's a crazy looking sunfire.

At least you've redeemed yourself by owning a G8 also. ;)

Eh it happens, 7 years ago they didn't make the g8, and ins on a trans am woulda been outrageous :)

usmcswong8
08-12-2010, 11:35 AM
that would look sickk..

chuckie669
08-12-2010, 12:32 PM
Insurance on a trans am is still outrageous.

I personally like the matte look if done properly. The vinyl sounds like a good idea and that ferrarri video was awesome on page 3.

youngrushhour
08-15-2010, 08:14 PM

That's actually not true. A few car companies are now offering matte colors as an option. Mercedes is even doing a really limited run with one of their new cars as like a Night edition or something with a matte black paint job, AMG rims and I think pretty much blacked out.

krewsman
08-15-2010, 09:06 PM
I'll stick with the "to each his own", and do what you want to your car--personally I think that the matte finish looks ricey.

bradshow
08-16-2010, 04:45 AM
Nice to see this thread still taking opinions. this has been put on the back burner but if I were to do it, I will wrap the car in vinyl. Now that I've done more research this is the best option. I am leaning more towards the satin black now vs. the flat/matte. I might give it a shot next spring depending on the finances.

r33pwrd
08-16-2010, 08:29 AM

Don you are an asshole plain and simple... why cant people have different taste? If everyone was like you we would all be waiting for rental renturns with stock wheels and no real mods.

Slizzo
08-16-2010, 09:12 AM

Oh, and I'll reply to this directly.

Two Words:

Lamborghini Reventon

laxfan
08-16-2010, 11:02 AM
Oh, and I'll reply to this directly.

Two Words:

Lamborghini Reventon

While we're at it..........

BMW M3 frozen Gray
http://static.blogo.it/eurocarblog/bmw-limited-edition-m3-frozen-gray/BMW_limited_edition_M3_frozen_gray_01.jpg

entire limited run sold out in like 12 min's...............

http://emercedesbenz.com/Images/Jan09/02_Mercedes_Benz_CLS_Grand_Edition/691252_1246466_5440_4080_08c1391_003.jpg

And apparently the guys at Harley have no taste or style
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_0mzZVT8Q0l4/SjDJqdaoZsI/AAAAAAAACsI/4gFHsP0HDX8/Harley%20Davidson%20VRSCDX%20NightRod%20Special-1.jpg

wagon540
08-16-2010, 11:27 AM
I'll stick with the "to each his own", and do what you want to your car--personally I think that the matte finish looks ricey.

I'm with you on "to each his own " but disagree on the rice thing. I think a matte finish G8 would be really cool but thats just me, i like things a little different rice or not, i've seen some pretty nice ricer cars in my time.

r33pwrd
08-16-2010, 02:07 PM
I'm with you on "to each his own " but disagree on the rice thing. I think a matte finish G8 would be really cool but thats just me, i like things a little different rice or not, i've seen some pretty nice ricer cars in my time.

Ya did American hotrods start the whole flat black thing anyways?

wagon540
08-16-2010, 03:12 PM
Ya did American hotrods start the whole flat black thing anyways?

Not sure, there is a V Rod like the one above in my town and i really like it. At the Street Machine Nats a few weeks ago there was a high dollar Cuda that was flat black and i never did get a picture of it without 20 people around it.
It wouldn't matter if American or Japanese cars started this or any other trend to me, cool is cool and fast is fast, we are all car guys IMVHO.
BTW im sure some people are going to call my car rice at the meet next week because the seats have orange and black leather on them, thats their choice but mine is to build it how i want.
OP, how about matte black with flat black "ghost" stripes?

Panzer Leader
08-16-2010, 03:23 PM
Not my taste, but think of the money you will save on wax.

TooManyHobbies
08-16-2010, 06:02 PM
Don you are an asshole plain and simple... why cant people have different taste? If everyone was like you we would all be waiting for rental renturns with stock wheels and no real mods.

Yes, that is true. And I want my tax money back!

Slizzo
08-16-2010, 06:13 PM
Not my taste, but think of the money you will save on wax.

Actually, there may be MORE of a need to wax a flat black car. If there is any color that will show imperfections if not done or taken care of properly, it's flat black. Generally you may need to put down a few more coats of clear than you would on a more typical color just to ensure the paint quality will stay in tip top shape.

DRCUSTOMPARTS
08-16-2010, 06:25 PM
If I wasn't out of work for the past 1 1/2 years I would have done a lot more to my car. So you better thank the man above that you can afford to buy a new car and mod it like you want to. Here's a picture of my previous car, notice it doesn't have stock wheels.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a375/DonRome/P1020536.jpg

Yes, that is true. And I want my tax money back!
:no1:

exesivefire
08-16-2010, 06:27 PM
Actually, there may be MORE of a need to wax a flat black car. If there is any color that will show imperfections if not done or taken care of properly, it's flat black. Generally you may need to put down a few more coats of clear than you would on a more typical color just to ensure the paint quality will stay in tip top shape.

I don't think I would do that...

Leggo
09-03-2010, 07:12 AM
I think the car, with some black rims would look awesome in a well done Matte black!

bradshow
09-03-2010, 08:45 AM

a flat black paintjob does not get waxed. the clear is actually what makes the color "flat" I had a flat "titanium" 05 zx-10 a few years ago and my jacket rubbed the tank enough to bring a shine to it.

Back on topic, if this is to be done, it will be wrapped in vinyl. satin black

diggerzmound
09-03-2010, 12:10 PM
how do you care for a matte black finish? I know the matte balck on my motorcycle is a real pain, it's hard to dry, wax maxes it look grey and scuffs show as a darker color.

hayabusa160
09-28-2010, 03:12 PM
most cars today that have the matte finish have the matte vinal wrap. its easier to maintain that finish then paint

3m makes a matte clear vinal wrap that will give a matte finish to any paint. i thought about doing my white car with it to give it that matte satin white like the amg mercedes.

SMP-G8
10-01-2010, 05:28 PM
My brother and I painted our 95 Camaro that we race Flat black with black rims and it looks awesome. It is all about preference tho and if you like that look. Really like it on our car. Dont know how to post pics otherwise i would share how it looks.

Slizzo
10-01-2010, 06:00 PM
a flat black paintjob does not get waxed. the clear is actually what makes the color "flat" I had a flat "titanium" 05 zx-10 a few years ago and my jacket rubbed the tank enough to bring a shine to it.

Back on topic, if this is to be done, it will be wrapped in vinyl. satin black

Ah, well I did not know that.

Thanks for the fix!

laserred
10-01-2010, 06:18 PM
http://www.dieselstation.com/pics/Lotus-Exige-Scura-car-wallpapers.jpg

Nice mix of matte "suede" finish and gloss... as long as the car has about 500RWHP!

powermadd
10-16-2010, 09:10 PM
I agree with the majority, don't do it. A good paint job needs to be shinny,not dull and cheap looking. You will get tried of the "dirty" look and regret it. In a word, matte paint jobs "SUCK".

DRCUSTOMPARTS
10-16-2010, 09:46 PM
The guys at the local custom bike shop told me it's impossible to keep the matte paint looking good on the new Harleys. I agree with you powermadd, the flat finish looks cheap. I love the way my car looks after I wash or wax it, so bright and shiny.

bradshow
02-04-2011, 12:03 PM
Progress on this is moving forward, I've been researching this for a while now and the 3.5 mil 3m vinyl is the best on the market right now. Awaiting sample material from 3M for color comparison. If all goes well, should be done in the next month.

I'm not doing the entire car, but for what I have planned I think it will be a sweet combination as long as the color is right.

08G8V8
02-04-2011, 12:08 PM
Cool....looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

texn884
02-05-2011, 06:35 PM
Nothing looks better than a clean waxed paint job. I think you would get tired of it.

black magic
02-06-2011, 02:28 PM
Well, thats the beauty of doing wraps. You can always go back to the way it was.