PDA

View Full Version : Dealer visit...Not very happy right now

Blackdevil77
11-06-2008, 02:17 PM
I just came back from my dealer to have a few things done. Tire rotation, wheel alignment and balance, and because of my early shifting problem, check the tranny fluid. One of the service managers kept kicking me out of the garage but was fine when anybody else went in there. That really pissed me off. However, I did get to see the guy check my tranny fluid. Car was on a lift and running. Then he loosened whatever had to be loosened, and tranny fluid poured out. He called me in the garage to tell me there was way to much tranny fluid in the car, right when the same ass hole manager kicked me out of the garage again even though I was called in by a mechanic. Waited over 4 hours for the alignment, balance and rotation as they drove my car to a volkswagon dealer a bit down the main road. Car still pulls to the left. Anyway, my problem now is the tranny. I think he took out too much fluid and now there's not enough. When I'm cruising on the highway, then have to give it some gas to catch up, I hear some quick grind sound every time for a second each time I give it more gas when i roll. Then I went into engineering mode. The tranny fluid temp with NORMAL driving was about 103 degrees Celcius. Never got that hot before. Not only that, they did their ECM/TCM updates and told me afterwards so I lost my Kaltech tune for now. UGH!!! Is my tranny fluid too low now?

wreckwriter
11-06-2008, 02:53 PM
Hmmmm.... its checked by pulling a plug out of the pan, its supposed to just dribble out. Had you had someone else check it previously that could have overfilled it?

Blackdevil77
11-06-2008, 02:57 PM
nope. The first time it's been touched since I bought the car which must mean the dealer over filled it. It just poured out when he removed the plug and told me there was way too much in there. Now im thinking there's too little. What temp should the tranny be with normal driving? I was getting 103 celcius which I haven't even seen 100 with hard driving before they removed the tranny fluid

wreckwriter
11-06-2008, 03:01 PM
Before I put the cooler on mine it often went over 200 F. , now it averages 170 or so.

Blackdevil77
11-06-2008, 03:03 PM
what would that be celcius? I'm retarded at that stuff. Do you have a stall converter?

wreckwriter
11-06-2008, 03:06 PM
I dunno, I live in America, we do F here :) No I don't.

Blackdevil77
11-06-2008, 03:06 PM
never mind found a calculator. That would be 217 degree's F for me with normal driving. Did you see those sort of temps with hard driving or normal driving? I'm talking rev's under 3k it was this hot

wreckwriter
11-06-2008, 03:08 PM
No, I would have had to be driving pretty hard to get that high. I think you should take it to another dealer.

Blackdevil77
11-06-2008, 03:10 PM
omg. They charged me for that to. It's gotta be low. I don't know how the hell its possible to be 217 degree's with easy cruising and driving not even exceeding 3000 rpm. Imagine if I nailed it. My tranny would be fried. I hate dealers. What gets me to is they are gonna charge me each time they do this shit

Here's the calculator if anyone's interested

http://www.metric-conversions.org/temperature/celsius-to-fahrenheit.htm

Blackdevil77
11-06-2008, 03:52 PM
I remember a post were someone scanned or had the directions for tranny fluid check and change. Was it on here or the other site? I've done numerous searches

wreckwriter
11-06-2008, 03:55 PM
Its here. I'll find it for you.

wreckwriter
11-06-2008, 03:56 PM
Here it is:

http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=320&highlight=fluid

Blackdevil77
11-06-2008, 04:00 PM
Ok thanks a lot.

Blackdevil77
11-06-2008, 04:10 PM
I'm thinking I'm gonna call Brian at Kaltech to do this tomorrow for a few reasons. One, he does work on these car's and engines so im sure he knows how to do it and 2, he actually gives a shit about what he's doing and i want this to be done once and to get it right. Should I give them a call about it or keep going back to the dealers?

wreckwriter
11-06-2008, 04:14 PM
I'm thinking I'm gonna call Brian at Kaltech to do this tomorrow for a few reasons. One, he does work on these car's and engines so im sure he knows how to do it and 2, he actually gives a shit about what he's doing and i want this to be done once and to get it right. Should I give them a call about it or keep going back to the dealers?

I personally don't think shit of pretty much any dealer. I'd go with Kaltech over a dealer any day of the week.

Blackdevil77
11-06-2008, 04:18 PM
then that's that. I'll give Brian a call tomorrow. Thanks Wreck. This was a good A/B conversation lol

wreckwriter
11-06-2008, 04:21 PM
No worries, glad I could help.

PostalCherokee
11-06-2008, 04:26 PM
I took my car to the dealer this past monday for the same thing, check tranny fluid and rotate and balance tires. They updated my TCM and wiped out my Vector tune!!!

Blackdevil77
11-06-2008, 04:39 PM
yup that's what they did to me. I am not going back to the dealer for anything unless it's free and under warranty.

SRG963
11-06-2008, 04:54 PM
Some dealerships are good. I have found one, and believe G8Ray found one to install a pulley. Anyways, I'd suggest one that sold corvettes as well as G8's.

I would visit a different dealership after what you went threw, for future purchases as well.

Blackdevil77
11-06-2008, 05:42 PM
I am completely flipping right now. I just gave the car a drive when the fluid had a chance to cool and omg. I can hear the damn thing squeak and grind when I drive! That is until the temperature hit's about 90 C. There is definitely way to little fluid in there to the point were im afraid to drive it. And now the thought of the tranny breaking because of this and the dealer not covering it because of the CAI is in my head and making me more mad! :mad:

wreckwriter
11-06-2008, 05:46 PM
the dealer not covering it because of the CAI is in my head and making me more mad! :mad:

That's very unlikely.

GeorgeInNePa
11-06-2008, 05:51 PM
I am completely flipping right now. I just gave the car a drive when the fluid had a chance to cool and omg. I can hear the damn thing squeak and grind when I drive! That is until the temperature hit's about 90 C. There is definitely way to little fluid in there to the point were im afraid to drive it. And now the thought of the tranny breaking because of this and the dealer not covering it because of the CAI is in my head and making me more mad! :mad:

Valium.

;)

They are the ones who "adjusted" the fluid level. If they did it imporperly, they will be at fault, not your CAI.

Blackdevil77
11-06-2008, 05:59 PM
thats good then but i still would rather have the problem fixed because if they can't even check the damn fluid properly, there's no way in hell i would trust them to replace the whole tranny

Art708
11-06-2008, 06:50 PM
It sounds dumb to me to not put a transmission dipstick in a car. My vette didn't have one, this car doesn't have one....bullshit.

Blackdevil77
11-06-2008, 07:14 PM
^agreed^ the dumbest damn thing they can ever do

PostalCherokee
11-06-2008, 08:01 PM
It's just another reason to make you bring it in!

wreckwriter
11-07-2008, 05:06 AM
We need to make a second effort at getting dipsticks. the easy thing, using one from a truck with same trans, has been tried and failed. We need someone to make us a custom flexible housing.

Chewy
11-07-2008, 06:55 AM
There's so little room between the firewall and the cats and manifolds that I think it will make it impossible!

Chris

wreckwriter
11-07-2008, 07:53 AM
There's so little room between the firewall and the cats and manifolds that I think it will make it impossible!

Chris

I think a flexible lokar style firewall mount MIGHT work.

Chewy
11-07-2008, 08:56 AM
I think a flexible lokar style firewall mount MIGHT work.

I think that's what's going to be looked at next...

wreckwriter
11-07-2008, 08:59 AM
I think that's what's going to be looked at next...

Have you started that ball rolling yet? i've contacted several manufacturers of custom sticks but none are close to me so we'll need a local car willing to help.

Blackdevil77
11-07-2008, 11:59 AM
Came back from the dealer just now. I told them everything what happened, this morning when the car significantley cooled off, I could hear the gears grinding, so went straight there with the printed instructions wreck gave me the link of last night. They let the car cool to the proper temp......for 4 hours, then checked the fluid and yup, he was it was very low which is very bad. Put the proper amount of fluid in it and everything feels better now, like it should. Made a friend while I was there. One of the younger guys that works in the service department just bought an LS2 GTO and he was talking about how he beat a mustang cobra and races all the time. He gave me a ride while I was waiting and I must say, that thing is much more aggressive out of the box than the G8 was. Nothing a little tuning could fix :)

GeorgeInNePa
11-07-2008, 01:12 PM
Was the GTO a stick or an auto?

Blackdevil77
11-07-2008, 01:45 PM
Was the GTO a stick or an auto?

Stick.

GeorgeInNePa
11-07-2008, 01:48 PM
That's why it feels more aggressive.

Put a higher stall converter in your car and then see what you think of that GTO.

Blackdevil77
11-07-2008, 01:48 PM
Still running a bit hot. I bet it's still a little low.

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk98/Blackdevil77/Photo-0002.jpg

g8_795
11-07-2008, 04:22 PM
That's why it feels more aggressive.

Put a higher stall converter in your car and then see what you think of that GTO.

Not to thread jack you here devil...

My buddy also has an LS2 goat. I smoke him in the quarter, but man, his car pulls hard when you are riding in it. Much harder then my G8. You think if I put a stall in, it will pull as hard as his goat?

Does a stall only help getting started or does it help through out the quarter mile?

wreck, you selling your stall? Is it busted?

Blackdevil77
11-07-2008, 04:23 PM
Yup a stall converter is in the plans. I want a 3000 from circle D.

Got 8?
11-07-2008, 05:18 PM
A higher stall converter helps get you out of the hole quicker by letting the engine get to the power band quicker by slipping to a higher RPM and it also multiplies torque more to get a bigger "hit" to the tires so you launch quicker...

Also most good stalls produce what is call a "shift extention" that keeps the revs up after the shifts, so once again you are making more power at a higher RPM and can get down the track faster...

More info can be found here... (http://converter.com/faqs.htm)
and here... (http://www.converter.cc/faq/)

GeorgeInNePa
11-07-2008, 05:57 PM
A higher stall converter helps get you out of the hole quicker by letting the engine get to the power band quicker by slipping to a higher RPM and it also multiplies torque more to get a bigger "hit" to the tires so you launch quicker...

Also most good stalls produce what is call a "shift extention" that keeps the revs up after the shifts, so once again you are making more power at a higher RPM and can get down the track faster...

More info can be found here... (http://converter.com/faqs.htm)
and here... (http://www.converter.cc/faq/)

What he said!

My car only drops to 4600rpm after the shift.

locrzn#92
11-07-2008, 06:54 PM
You will probably see the tranny temp rise with the higher stall converter. Usually the converter is smaller with the higher stall which creates more slippage which usually creates higher temps.

wreckwriter
11-07-2008, 07:06 PM
if you put a converter in you need to add a trans cooler.

GT-610
11-07-2008, 08:21 PM
Hey Mario,did you go to Mack? the service mngr is great but the tech there are complete morons...they have yet to even change a wiper,or get my tire pressure right!

Blackdevil77
11-07-2008, 08:27 PM
yup that was Mack. I like Jack, the other one kept kicking me out and away from the garage. He kept telling me to wait in the waiting room. This morning when I came back he was like "back again?" I'm like "yup" he goes "why?" and I go "because I wasn't able to watch and check what they were doing to my car yesterday and messed something up" He was real nice from there. The moron checked my level at 95 degrees celcius. Today, the guy did it at 118 F. Better but still close to the high side but it is in the range on the instructions.

g8_795
11-08-2008, 06:44 AM
What he said!

My car only drops to 4600rpm after the shift.

I just verified that mine drops to ~4200 after my shifts 1->2 and 2->3. Sorry Devil. I am done jacking. I will ask my questions in another thread. Thanks for the info guys.

Blackdevil77
11-08-2008, 09:28 AM
lol don't worry about it g8 795. Im interested in the stall converters to so I just got more info from my thread lol.
I don't know if this is really how the stock tune was or if it's the fluid again but, oh my god to the shifts suck! It's almost like the car is in neutral between shifts for a split second! Was this damn thing really like that stock? I'm used to my tune which i need back asap.
Also, can I by the Dexron VI fluid at a pep boys or something? I'm about to check the fluid myself. I know a mechanic that would probably let me use his lift.

sultech
11-08-2008, 10:41 AM
off topic and not to be a dick. but im glad u snatched that one up from under me. lol

-Ray-
11-08-2008, 01:18 PM
off topic and not to be a dick. but im glad u snatched that one up from under me. lol

Then what's the point of your post?

sultech
11-08-2008, 04:08 PM
oh right. lol

he got the car i was going after. but when i returned to the dealer it was sold so i got mine at sun pontiac.. And on another note I never have a problem at mack theyre always good. I wander into the shop and they give me its against the rules crap. Then i tell them its not a problem and somereason they leave me alone.

Blackdevil77
11-08-2008, 06:36 PM
I really don't know what it is. I just can't figure out why the damn thing shifts early when it feels like it. EVEN WITH STOCK TUNE!!! OMG!!! WTF!!! :bm: