PDA

View Full Version : X PIPE Revisited!

jbradsh1
11-05-2008, 03:45 PM
I have the stock axle back exhaust but I'm thinking of getting an X Pipe section to replace the muffler that is shared by both pipes where the pipes shrink to about 2"s in diameter. But I want to keep the two resonators that are further back. It seems like this area would be a restriction (since the pipe diameter downsizes in that area also). Questions: 1. anyone done this yet? 2. could any muffler shop fabricate something along the lines of what I'm suggesting here, i.e., just take out the muffler and replace it with a short X-Pipe section that maintains the same pipe diameter as the rest? 3. would this help out the rwhp 4. noise increase much or not really?

GeorgeInNePa
11-05-2008, 04:00 PM
That shrinking diameter goes into the small resonators. Their inlets are 2".

If you go over to G8Board there are Stolen Fox H-Pipes floating around. They replace the center muffler. It needs to be welded in.

I had one and sold it. The guy I sold it to decided to go another direction. If you like I can get you his screen-name and you can discuss it with him.

-Ray-
11-05-2008, 04:02 PM
I can cut mine off my old exhaust if you want.

Edit: Nevermind, it's an H pipe.

GeorgeInNePa
11-05-2008, 04:05 PM
I can cut mine off my old exhaust if you want.

Edit: Nevermind, it's an H pipe.

That's an idea, OP. Even though it's a H, it will give you an idea of the difference in sound with out that big muffler.

ALSO

First page of the for sale forum over there:

Stolen Fox H-pipe

I have the ARH sytem and would like to sell the NIB H-pipe. $75 plus shipping.

G8Smitty
11-05-2008, 04:05 PM
It sounds like you have the entire stock system.

1. I have this with an H pipe over an X pipe (magnaflow axleback though, just for noise effect)
2. Just about any muffler shop can remove the middle muffler/resonator (whatever that thing is) piece and add an h pipe or x pipe, but you should bring the X pipe with you. They may be able to fab one up, but it will take time (which translate to money).
3. You may gain a (very) little hp and torque, but it will not be noticeable.
4. I would assume that there would be next to no noise difference. I assume this because it seems that everyone who runs headers with the stock axleback says that it is silent.

I basing my response from my experience with an H pipe so it may not be exact.

G8Smitty
11-05-2008, 04:07 PM
FYI - I believe RumblingG8 on the other board had one. He wanted to replace the x pipe he had with the Magnaflow catback, but the pipe size is different between the stock and Magnaflow.

G8Smitty
11-05-2008, 04:08 PM
FWIW - I have the stolen fox H-pipe and it cost $40 to have it installed at the local muffler shop.

arcticT
11-05-2008, 04:40 PM
If there is no HP or torque difference and little to no sound difference, what is the point? Weight savings?

GeorgeInNePa
11-05-2008, 05:17 PM
FYI - I believe RumblingG8 on the other board had one. He wanted to replace the x pipe he had with the Magnaflow catback, but the pipe size is different between the stock and Magnaflow.

That's who bought mine.

GeorgeInNePa
11-05-2008, 05:18 PM
If there is no HP or torque difference and little to no sound difference, what is the point? Weight savings?

There is a sound difference if you change the axle backs.

arcticT
11-05-2008, 05:26 PM
There is a sound difference if you change the axle backs.

ah...gotcha.

jbradsh1
11-05-2008, 06:39 PM
It sounds like you have the entire stock system.

1. I have this with an H pipe over an X pipe (magnaflow axleback though, just for noise effect)
2. Just about any muffler shop can remove the middle muffler/resonator (whatever that thing is) piece and add an h pipe or x pipe, but you should bring the X pipe with you. They may be able to fab one up, but it will take time (which translate to money).
4. I would assume that there would be next to no noise difference. I assume this because it seems that everyone who runs headers with the stock axleback says that it is silent.

I basing my response from my experience with an H pipe so it may not be exact.

Thanks everyone for your input! I have Kooks shorty headers with high flow cats and from the cat back is bone stock. I was thinking that since the pipes decrease in diameter around the muffler & resonator area that this would reduce power somewhat significantly. I'd want to replace that section with full size pipes plus resonators or something like that to reduce some backpressure but still keep it quiet. That was the idea, but after reading all your posts, I'm thinking of leaving it just the way it is.

jbradsh1
11-23-2008, 05:10 AM
[QUOTE=G8Smitty;17250]It sounds like you have the entire stock system.

I just discovered that you can buy an X pipe section (Magnaflow's web site) that has a diameter of 2.5"s and is about 12"s long. I think I'll get one and possibly the Magnaflow dual mid muffler and have a muffler shop connect it all up. Has to help out that restrictive 2" pipe that runs from the resonators to the mid muffler. Probably pick up 10 rwhp or would this be in my dreams?

GeorgeInNePa
11-23-2008, 03:09 PM
[quote=G8Smitty;17250]It sounds like you have the entire stock system.

I just discovered that you can buy an X pipe section (Magnaflow's web site) that has a diameter of 2.5"s and is about 12"s long. I think I'll get one and possibly the Magnaflow dual mid muffler and have a muffler shop connect it all up. Has to help out that restrictive 2" pipe that runs from the resonators to the mid muffler. Probably pick up 10 rwhp or would this be in my dreams?

Your exhaust is 2.25" in front of the center resonator/muffler and the inlets of the bullets is 2".

I believe the bullet outlets are 2.25".

jbradsh1
11-23-2008, 05:36 PM
[quote=jbradsh1;20535]

Your exhaust is 2.25" in front of the center resonator/muffler and the inlets of the bullets is 2".

I believe the bullet outlets are 2.25".

Doesn't matter. Magnaflow makes 2.25", 2.5", & 3" on their X pipe. So I was going to just cut out the entire resonator/mid muffler section and replace it with the X pipe and the Magnaflow muffler that comes with their cat-back kit and some piping of course. Eliminates the restriction and you still have a muffler for quiet, see?