PDA

View Full Version : Finding and cleaning the PCV system orifice

EC-Ryder
08-27-2008, 06:59 PM
It doesnt say what to feed tigers. I assume srts, vettes and both go well with RICE!!! LOL

I'll leave that to U Charlie, every time i try to feed something wild i get bit! :wah:

LOL!

But on a more serious note I would like to see a maintenance recommendation on the site along with the factory recommendation. I know that’s sticky, but I can tell U I don’t see a pcv valve change mentioned on the G8 schedule at all in the manual or if it’s even got one, could be I just missed it. :confused2:

But I change mine’s every year same for filters whether they need it or not. It’s paid off for me on my daily mules, as they’ve had zero issues or unexpected repair bills or breakdowns of any kind ever since I can remember. I just changed the battery on my 5yr old 4runner because I don’t want to do it at 2am in some dark street corner, or out of town and so forth.

I know a lot of manufactures have extended some things like the PCV change beyond my comfort zone. It is uncomfortable to me because of the victims I have seen that suffer.
As an example when Toyota extended their oil changes and the engines gummed up, not everyone got taken care of on warranty. Some paid or sold off b\c they didn’t know and weren’t told or whatever. As for me I had those engines under my care but never had an issue b\c I follow old school doctrine.

The thing is some will care some won’t but to each their own, I rather be on the asinine safe side and pay now at my choosing, as it’s not worth my time being at the stearleship. And if we can help someone that doesn’t lease and wants to keep their babes for a long time at minimal expense, at least they would have some guidance as to which way to go.
:angeldevil:

But that’s just me!

Cheers!

Crazy Paul
08-29-2008, 07:30 PM
I don’t see a pcv valve change mentioned on the G8 schedule at all in the manual or if it’s even got one, could be I just missed it. :confused2:

There is no PCV valve as such.
Inside the vertical outlet fitting on the rear drivers side valve cover is a fixed brass orifice. It looks to be about 1/8" ID but I have never measured one. No moving parts. It should never need attention. GM used the fixed orifice PCV mod on some of their trucks and the LS2/LS3/LS7 use a similar thing within their valley cover.

EC-Ryder
09-06-2008, 02:45 PM
Yeah, I kind of knew that from somewhere but I’m not familiar with the operating principle of the particular PCV system on the L76 or its maintenance requirement if any would be. But I do know that the V8 Ford EGR system was prone to clog in the past due to sludge, even with regular maintenance at around 50k.
SO my main point is to see for ourselves what’s best for our own use or service requirements. :angeldevil:

But there seems to be a trend or pressure for some reason on the part of the auto makers to extend or in some cases even eliminate maintenance or components in order to achieve that goal, and I don’t know what the long term consequences are if any from that trend. :confused2:

Fuel filters come to my mind as some have extended it to 80k or done away with it altogether, with unknown consequences for those of us that may want to put lots of miles on our vehicles or love them long time.
I don’t know if it is to promote leasing more which is or at least it used to be more profitable to the dealers and makers until the bottom fell out of auto sales, or if there is another motive. But i do know the consumer usually come out on the short end of the stick as a rule. :screw:

But in the meantime until it is proven to me otherwise, I’m sticking with the tried and true method of regular maintenance as if it was severe service.

But that’s just me!

Cheers!

Crazy Paul
09-08-2008, 04:59 PM
There is no PCV valve as such.
Inside the vertical outlet fitting on the rear drivers side valve cover is a fixed brass orifice. It looks to be about 1/8" ID but I have never measured one. No moving parts. It should never need attention. GM used the fixed orifice PCV mod on some of their trucks and the LS2/LS3/LS7 use a similar thing within their valley cover.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/L76/P1010217.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/L76/P1010218-1.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/L76/P1010219-1.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/L76/P1010220-1.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/L76/P1010221-1.jpg

EC-Ryder
09-09-2008, 06:38 AM
Nice pics! Thanks!

That’s a small passage I wonder if it’s prone to clogging even with normal maintenance?

Does it come out for soaking or thorough cleaning or replacement?

It looks like it can be cleaned…Clogged PCV Valves make me nervous as I’ve seen the end results…Real messy!

:shf:

Cheers!

Crazy Paul
09-09-2008, 07:25 AM
I'll wheel the engine out where I can get better access to it tomorrow morning.....then see If I can answer a few of those questions.

Crazy Paul
09-09-2008, 09:19 PM
Nice pics! Thanks!

That’s a small passage I wonder if it’s prone to clogging even with normal maintenance?
Does it come out for soaking or thorough cleaning or replacement?
It looks like it can be cleaned…Clogged PCV Valves make me nervous as I’ve seen the end results…Real messy!
:shf:
Cheers!

Well the largest drill bit I could get to fit in the hole was 3/32".
It's not a brass orifice as I said earlier...it's merely a tiny hole drilled in the centre of the nipple fitting. I could not pry out or rotate the nipple, it looks like its swaged into the valve cover. Could tell you more if the valve cover was totally removed.

So I'm saying the nipple does not come out for cleaning easily.
If it was partially clogged you could possibly use a set of oxy-acetylene tip cleaners.....start small and work up to the 3/32" drill bit.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/crap/9d80fdd4-bf45-46b4-9323-f09c4b15793.jpg

Whatever you use to push in the hole needs to be minimum 2 1/4" long.
Don't worry you can't drop anything that length thru that hole and into the engine.........I could feel something stopping that from happening, under the bottom of the hole.

EC-Ryder
09-10-2008, 07:26 AM
I was thinking along those lines when I saw those great pictures. That’s also similar to a trick I learned from some sharp Ford tech to unclog EGR valve passages quickly and destroy book time, and it works for another 50k. But those EGR symptoms are easy to know. :hmm:

Cheers!

Chewy
11-05-2008, 06:29 AM
I was looking at the owners manual thread and saw that it took a sharp turn to the right so I moved all the posts into this thread that I named. If can think of a different name that better explains it, let me know.

Cheers,
Chris