PDA

View Full Version : UD Pulley problems

Blackdevil77
11-04-2008, 05:58 PM
I was just talking to a guy with a supercharged trailblazer SS that gets his work done at Tune Time with Matt. He was complimenting me on the car and telling me about Matt's car. He was there when Matt ran the 11.4. Anyway, he told me that these motors are having problems with balance in the long term if the UD pulley is used. He said he knows a bunch of guys that after they put on the UD pulley that maybe a year later, the balance is off. I'm not completely sure what that means but maybe Matt can chime in here and enlightin us if he heard about this or anyone else if they did.

-Ray-
11-04-2008, 06:01 PM
The Powerbond under drive pulley is a balancer.
I think the L76 is a new engine, so it's only about 6 months old in the states. Not really enough time for long term testing.

Blackdevil77
11-04-2008, 06:09 PM
He was refering to the LS2's and LS3's. He said they are basically the same motor as far as pulleys go.

Andy@Livernois
11-04-2008, 06:53 PM
Maybe he is talking about some of the crappy Chinese fluid filled balancers? I have a customer that SCCA races and has used the same powerbond balancer for 6 years... no issues on his setup...

edit: an elastomer type zero balance balancer like these really can't go out of balance unless the elastomer ring is totally shot. Being the powerbond unit uses better elastomer then stock, it should theoretically outlast a stocker.

Blackdevil77
11-05-2008, 05:55 AM
I don't think he was. He questioned me if the one I ordered was SLP. I just got in my powerbond UD pulley yesterday. He said the guys that had them on their trailblazer SS's are having that problem in the long run.

GTPprix
11-05-2008, 06:00 AM
I swear I heard that SLP's are just powerbonds with an SLP sticker?

Blackdevil77
11-05-2008, 06:02 AM
So then I guess the powerbond is the same thing that was giving the trailblazer SS owners balance problems. I showed the guy the pulley, he said same pulley, same motor, most likely same problem. I sure hope not.

GeorgeInNePa
11-05-2008, 06:03 AM
I swear I heard that SLP's are just powerbonds with an SLP sticker?

They are. I bought the SLP, literally the day before everybody else started selling the Powerbond, cheaper. The SLP is the exact same pulley.

Oh, well, mine did come with a new bolt.

Blackdevil77
11-05-2008, 02:56 PM
A term just came back to me. He said something about it causing "Rod Knock?"

Andy@Livernois
11-05-2008, 03:03 PM
no, its just TBSS engines. I think their oil pan sucks causing these issues.

Basically there is no reason TBSS owners should spin a rod bearing and vette guys dont, except the TBSS uses a different oil pan then anything else...

Blackdevil77
11-05-2008, 03:05 PM
I'm not even sure what that term means but as long as nobody has these problems with their car and these pulleys, i guess i'll feel better :)

SRG963
11-05-2008, 03:09 PM
I'm not even sure what that term means but as long as nobody has these problems with their car and these pulleys, i guess i'll feel better :)

See if your Pontiac service department will install the pulley, should be covered by a warranty then ;)

-Ray-
11-05-2008, 03:52 PM
Custom parts don't fall under GM warranty program. If you are friendly with your dealer, you might be able to work out something with them.