PDA

View Full Version : Strange noise coming from under my hood

ETIDMotorsports
04-26-2010, 05:17 PM
So I recently installed a TVS1900 and am still trying to work all the bugs out. One thing that has recently come to light is a strange whistling, whining noise. I know what you're all going to say, it's the supercharger whine but I know what that sounds like and its not it. The best way I can describe it is kind of like a whistling bubbling noise that sounds kind of like it is coming through the air vents. Anyone with a supercharger have any idea what this might be? It seems like it is linked to RPM's but I am not sure. Any help would be appreciated as I don't think that dealership is gonna be much help.

Boss Hogg
04-26-2010, 07:17 PM
The sound is coming from inside the cabin of the car or under the hood?

The water pump for the heat exchanger makes a humming noise. Turn the key on without cranking the motor to hear it.

Is the reservoir for the heat exhanger completely filled? If it's low, the water pump will be louder.

ETIDMotorsports
04-26-2010, 10:15 PM
I can hear it while I am in the cabin and I believe I can faintly hear it with the hood up but I am not sure. I know the sound of the water pump and its not that . It sounds like a rushing water boiling type noise.

99-LS1-SS
04-27-2010, 12:43 AM
The noise coming from my engine increased a good bit when I got my supercharger. So far, I have chalked it up as the gears inside the supercharger being louder and the heat exchanger pump.

Boss Hogg
04-27-2010, 05:53 AM
If the reservoir is low it will sound like rushing water. Also, the fans will come on earlier with the stock Maggie tune. But all of these new noises are under the hood, not from the cabin.

My only other thought is to make sure the heater hoses are secured and not leaking near the firewall.

ETIDMotorsports
04-27-2010, 10:54 AM
The noise coming from my engine increased a good bit when I got my supercharger. So far, I have chalked it up as the gears inside the supercharger being louder and the heat exchanger pump.

I'm sure that is what it is but it seemed to develop/ I started noticing only in the past few weeks and I've had it installed for close to two months now. I'll keep monitoring it to see.

Also I noticed you're doing some of your own tuning. Out of curiosity what are you temps set at for your fans?

99-LS1-SS
04-27-2010, 11:14 AM
I'm sure that is what it is but it seemed to develop/ I started noticing only in the past few weeks and I've had it installed for close to two months now. I'll keep monitoring it to see.

Also I noticed you're doing some of your own tuning. Out of curiosity what are you temps set at for your fans?

Here's a screenshot of my fan settings.

http://www.usamls.net/brandon/images/fan_settings.jpg