PDA

View Full Version : Engine Clicking

norm8332
11-04-2008, 02:22 PM
I know it has been said in the past that the valve train and injectors are loud on these engines. But my clicking can be heard from outside. I was at a drive through and I could hear a click reflecting off the building wall. it seemed like it was a pretty loud one.

I recorded it and it's here. It sounds like a tin can filled with screws to me. Maybe I'm just used to a quiet engine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn85uB2oB6c

GRRRR8
11-04-2008, 02:35 PM
If you have all sound covers off this is normal. Its the DOD lifters. Mine is worse then that after 3-4 hard passes. Not for long! The oil is full correct?

norm8332
11-04-2008, 03:00 PM
Yeah the oil is full.

GM had given me free oil changes until 33,000 because of the fuel pump debacle, and when I got it back from the change it was a quart low. My dealer isn't good, they fix one thing and break another. Replaced the steering wheel plastic while scratching the leather on the wheel etc. I gave up on them fixing my steering wheel shimmy. (like many get).

Now I get under the car and there is oil on the outside of the oil pan and on the trans cooling lines.

I love the car in the way it drives, power etc. but I think the "real" GMs were made better.

Thanks for your quick response.

Crazy Paul
11-04-2008, 03:20 PM
:lalala:

You could totally rule out injector noise by carefully unplugging one and listening at that cylinder to see how much the noise changes. Not sure if doing so will throw a code that then needs clearing.

Pretty sure that noise isn't injectors tho.

wreckwriter
11-04-2008, 03:49 PM
Mine does it too, its just the lifters.

Panther 2
11-04-2008, 04:08 PM
Welcome aboard the Pontiac noise maker, Z06s make similar sounds.

jbradsh1
11-04-2008, 04:19 PM
I know it has been said in the past that the valve train and injectors are loud on these engines. But my clicking can be heard from outside. I was at a drive through and I could hear a click reflecting off the building wall. it seemed like it was a pretty loud one.

I recorded it and it's here. It sounds like a tin can filled with screws to me. Maybe I'm just used to a quiet engine.

And I don't think you can just throw in a can of STP to shut it up, as in the old days either!

Crazy Paul
11-04-2008, 05:07 PM
And I don't think you can just throw in a can of STP to shut it up, as in the old days either!

Somebody needs to invent a can of STFU

:thumbsup:

-Ray-
11-04-2008, 05:32 PM
I have a can of Whoop Ass! in my L76.

GRRRR8
11-04-2008, 05:36 PM
I have a can of Whoop Ass! in my L76.

Ray has 366 reasons not to fuck with him on the road! LMAO!

norm8332
11-04-2008, 08:00 PM
The last time I had an engine with that sound i was about to replace rockers.

Yeah it does sound pretty uniform.

Now I just have to find out where the oil is coming from. I'm sick of having to de-mod it for a trip to the dealer. It's been there 7 times. They know me by name now..NORM!! when I arrive.

R.Penguin
11-04-2008, 08:26 PM

Oh crap! You got the diesel option. :p

jbradsh1
11-04-2008, 09:17 PM
Somebody needs to invent a can of STFU

:thumbsup:

Until someone does, it's called the engine cover!

edmanet
11-05-2008, 09:49 AM
And my car could be "F8TAL" !!!!

Sorry I had to get that in there. That's my new license plate.

Chewy
11-05-2008, 12:23 PM
Yeah I removed all the sound covers off my car and it ticks pretty loud too. It has a whopping 4 or 5 hundred miles on it.

Chris