PDA

View Full Version : Castrol Syntec 5W30 sample taken at 9,494 miles

ULTRA Z
04-23-2010, 05:15 PM
The 9,494 miles on this oil sample included a trip to detriot from mississippi several trips to the track, best pass was 13.3 and also had a dyno tune on it with about 5-6 pulls.......

here goes

Wear Metals PPM
iron 31, Chromium 1, Nickel 0, Aluminum 3, Copper 58, Lead 11, Tin 0, Cadmium 0, Silver 0, Vanadium 0

Contaminant Metals PPM
Silicon 10, Sodium 6, Potassium 1

Muti-source Metals PPM
Titanium 0, Molybdenum 106, Manganese 1, Lithium 0, Boron 24

Additive Metals PPM
Magnesium 15, Calcium 3011, Barium 0, Phosphorous 690, Zinc 855

UNIT TIME 3M & 22 Days 9494 Miles
Fuel est <1%
Soot Vol. <.1%
Water Infrated <.1
Vis 100c cs 10.4
TBN Total Base 3.26
I-R oxida 14
I-R nitra 20
zero to five rating zero and one being normal five being bad
it got a 1 normal

anyone desifer this for me lol

THANKS

Panzer Leader
04-23-2010, 06:53 PM
Would be interested in the PPM ranges, are they high or low? But considering almost 10k, extremely excellent.

DRCUSTOMPARTS
04-23-2010, 09:05 PM
Iron is high (31), it should be 13. Copper is high (58), it should be 17, so you have higher than normal wear occurring in the cylinders (iron) and bearings (copper). All the other wear metals are ok.

Contaminant metals are ok.

Muti-source metals are ok.

Additive metals are ok.

Fuel, soot and water content are ok.

Viscosity is ok.

TBN is Total Base Number and it indicates the amount of usable life left in the oil, with 0 being all used up so 3.26 means it's still usable.

The high amount of wear metals indicates the oil isn't lubricating very well, so I don't know why they said it was normal. Unless this was the first time you changed the oil, then it would be normal since the motor was still breaking in.

ULTRA Z
04-24-2010, 04:46 AM
however there is a chance its from the oil cooler also

My sample has a high copper number. Where is it coming from?

A: If only the copper is high, but no other metals such as lead, tin, or aluminum are elevated, it is mostly an oxide of copper from the oil cooler. As the oil cooler is exposed to the heat from the engine oil, it can sometimes oxidize the copper, which will show up in the analysis report. This is considered a normal condition and no corrective action is required. This process usually will taper off or stop occurring over time

i'm gonna send a sample a little sooner on this new oil and see if the copper levels fall off a little the motor has 30K on it and should be broken in well should have been broken in. I got the car with 200 miles on it cause they drove it back from tennessee where the local dealer found it. I then changed it at 500, 1200, 2000, 10000, 20000ish, and 30000ish.

DRCUSTOMPARTS thanks for the quick reply pin pointing the metals for me

GeoffA
04-24-2010, 05:03 AM
Is that sample high only because it had 9000 + miles on it? And the numbers would be normal if it was taken around 3000?

Or is the 9000 the milage on your car and not the milage on the oil?

ULTRA Z
04-24-2010, 05:23 AM
9494 mileage on the oil it ran in the car from 20K to 30K in 3months and 22 days. I wanted to send in a sample cause the last 10K oil change the oil looked great and i was just curious turns out it looked great cause it was lol

GeoffA
04-24-2010, 05:48 AM
I would assume then that these are normal numbers. Thats if DRcustomparts info is from a regular oil change of 3000 miles...

Devilish34
04-24-2010, 06:36 AM
I would assume then that these are normal numbers. Thats if DRcustomparts info is from a regular oil change of 3000 miles...

^This

DRCUSTOMPARTS
04-24-2010, 06:57 AM
Actually I compared your oil analysis to one from a GM 3800 V6 in a Grand Prix, so I just found one from a 6.0 in a Corvette and the averages for wear metals are higher than I posted above. I also read that big GM engines tend to have a high copper content in the oil, but yours is much higher than the average of 38. The acceptable range is 10-50 PPM for copper and you are over that at 58, but like you said it could be from the oil cooler because oil does tend to oxidize the copper inside it. The acceptable range is 100-200 PPM for iron so you are ok there at 31. It is higher than the average of 21, but it's nothing to be worried about since it's acceptable.

Here's a link telling you how to read an oil analysis and what's acceptable towards the bottom of the page.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/cms/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=50&Itemid=56

BigV8
04-24-2010, 07:00 AM
Iron is high (31), it should be 13. Copper is high (58), it should be 17, so you have higher than normal wear occurring in the cylinders (iron) and bearings (copper). All the other wear metals are ok.

Contaminant metals are ok.

Muti-source metals are ok.

Additive metals are ok.

Fuel, soot and water content are ok.

Viscosity is ok.

TBN is Total Base Number and it indicates the amount of usable life left in the oil, with 0 being all used up so 3.26 means it's still usable.

The high amount of wear metals indicates the oil isn't lubricating very well, so I don't know why they said it was normal. Unless this was the first time you changed the oil, then it would be normal since the motor was still breaking in.

It could be from the cam. There has been wear noted on the GT dod engines on the front bearing when doing cam swaps.

ULTRA Z
04-24-2010, 07:20 AM
is this my excuse for the ol lady so i can do a dod delete and new cam i think it is :)

edfiero
11-09-2012, 09:53 AM
Sorry for digging up an old thread, but was searching for info about 'Oil Analysis'. I just got a back a Blackstone oil analysis and for the 2nd straight report is shows high IRON. Everything else was in the normal range. I do mostly highway driving, and rarely 'get on it' as I am pretty anal about trying to maintain good gas mileage. Car only has 32k miles on it

Don't our engines have Aluminium block? Why would I have high Iron? What could this be coming from?
Would gettting a new drain plug with a magent on the end help at all? I know that wouldn't stop the problem,but at least the iron wouldn't be floating around in the oil causing additional wear.

Thanks

Fatdaddy
11-09-2012, 03:28 PM
Yes we have aluminum blocks... With iron cylinder sleeves and ductile iron piston rings. That is where the iron wear comes from.

Sent from my iPad2 using magic and alchemy.