PDA

View Full Version : Maggie vs. Turbo fuel question...

Tempest2000
04-21-2010, 05:39 PM
I know the maggies are out of fuel even with a BAP at around 550rwhp.
I've looked at some of the drive power loss (i.e. power required to turn the blower) of the 1900 maggie that someone else posted in another thread. At 9psi, it takes up to 60hp to turn the blower.

It got me thinking... Since there is some hp loss with a maggie, I'm wondering if a turbo would make a little more hp before the fuel runs out since it doesn't have the same hp loss. Not much, but I'm thinking you could get 600rwhp out of a turbo with the same fuel setup.

Example...

Let's say a maggie makes 550rwhp at say 8 psi with a blower cam, exhaust, etc. It would probably take 50hp of drive power based on the drive power chart . Theoretically you are putting in enough fuel to make 600rwhp, but you are just using up 50hp to turn the blower.

In a turbo you aren't losing any power, I would "think" you could crank the turbo up a little more and get 600rwhp and put in the same amount of fuel as a maggie making 550rwhp.

Ok let the comments begin LOL Just curious if that makes any sense...

parish8
04-21-2010, 06:21 PM
your theory is sound.

the more power theme spills over in other ways with turbos. just the loss from the blower drive belt is power that can now goto the wheels. on our motors you should be able to make 50-100hp more just from no belt before something lets go.

there there is the whole back pressure issue. acording to the book maximum boost the biggest load on a rod or rod bolt is when the piston tries to fly out of the engine on the exhaust stroke. the rod and rod bolt have to get the piston to change direction. put a little pressure on the top of that piston like you will find in a turbo set up and now the "peek" loads on that rod and rod bolts have just been reduced.

Tempest2000
04-21-2010, 06:58 PM
I have my heads milled and I'm at about 10.7-10.8 cr. I've been told 7psi is the safe zone at that compression. With my cam, headers, and exhaust 7 psi is about 527rwhp and that is also pushing it on the fuel setup even with a bap. I'm thinking I could go to a turbo setup like the VMS system and make probably close to 575rwhp with the same stock pump and BAP at about the same 7 psi on the stock internals.

My car is not a track car. I just enjoy my hour drive to work and my hour drive home. I realize that I will be looking at beefing up the trans, rear end, axles, fuel system etc if I try to push it any more. I basically want to maximize my money without going to that next level. I'm looking to spend another 6-7k and that's it. Going any further will turn into another 15k+ that I'm just not willing to spend.

On the other hand, I like the idea of the maggie and the low end power... I really wish my setup had more power under the curve and I'm not so sure that I'm concerned with peak power in the big picture. I really am interested to see the dyno graphs when the vms system is done.

Parish one more question... With a twin setup, how come no one is going with one smaller turbo and one bigger turbo? Just curious if that wouldn't be the best of both worlds to get you lower end power with the small one and the top end with the larger turbo. I guess that could be a tuning nightmare though...

parish8
04-21-2010, 07:07 PM
the small/big turbo is used when the turbos are sequential. one after the other. what i have is parallel twins. one for each bank. you want to keep them the same when you are parallel.

i had a dificult time tuning above 5psi without getting into knock. i really like my meth kit. it allows you to run whatever boost level you want and give you some extra fuel.

Tempest2000
04-21-2010, 07:27 PM
Gotcha thanks for the info.