PDA

View Full Version : Pop in the front end

BlueJacket
11-02-2008, 05:15 PM
I am getting a poping sound that seems to be coming from the Drive side front wheel. I get the pop with taking off from a stop or slow speed. I got under the car and the only thing I can find is a small amount of "un know oil" on the (what I think is) CV boot. I can not find any hole or cut in it just a small amount of oil. Any ideas what it is?

Thanks,
Charles

GRRRR8
11-02-2008, 05:20 PM
Take it in to the dealer. It is probably the sway bar mount or strut mount.

BlueJacket
11-02-2008, 05:36 PM
Yeah I am going to call them this week.

todds87ss
11-03-2008, 01:48 AM
I would also look at strut mounts. Sway bars typically make noise under cornering, when wheel loads are not equal. Still a possibility, though.
Probably unrelated, my GTO was delivered WITHOUT ANY bolts holding the end link to the sway bar. Did make a hell of a racket anytime there was suspension travel. They should have put that car on QC HOLD lol

-Ray-
11-03-2008, 02:25 PM
I believe there is a TSB on the sway bar bushings for popping noise.

todds87ss
11-03-2008, 05:17 PM
anyone got the TSB number?

BlueJacket
11-03-2008, 05:32 PM
I am taking it in on Friday. I will post what they find.

-Ray-
11-03-2008, 06:01 PM
Document ID: 2134116
#PIC4873: Pop Noise Heard From In Front Suspension
When Turning - keywords bearing coil mount plate
spring strut - (May 12, 2008)
Subject: Pop Noise Heard In Front Suspension When Turning
Models: 2008 Pontiac G8
The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this
PI.
Condition/Concern:
A customer may comment of one or more pop noises heard from the front of the vehicle when
turning the steering wheel left or right. This may occur when the vehicle is stationary or while
driving.
Recommendation/Instructions:
The technician should inspect the front strut mounts and the front coil springs for witness marks
that may indicate a cause for this noise.
Inspect the front coil spring for witness marks that could indicate the end of the coil is
contacting the coil below it. If witness marks indicate coil to coil contact has occurred,
replace the coil spring. If possible, take photos of the witness marks and submit a Field
Product Report.
Note: Please use caution when removing the strut bearing from the strut mount.
Incorrect removal could cause the bearing halves to separate. Current SI procedures
indicate the strut assembly support bearing is sealed for life.
Remove the strut bearing from the strut mount and inspect the bearing for any marks. A
dark streak on the strut bearing upper half (yellow in color) could indicate the bearing is
slipping inside the strut mount. If a dark streak/mark is found on the strut bearing yellow
surface, that bearing should be replaced. If replacement is necessary, the bearing must be
replaced as an assembly.
Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the
condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need
to be performed.
GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to
inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could
assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety
instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that
the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for
information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

BlueJacket
11-04-2008, 10:26 AM
Think I fixed the problem.

I was under the hood checking out the CAI to see if everything was still tight. I was moving the lower pipe and a small part of the rubber filter lip is hitting the fender well. When I move it it makes almost the same as I am getting when taking off. I think some in & out spray got down there and is working as a lubricant between the filter and fender well making the noise.

So I took the lower pipe off and put the filter right now the MAF and went for a drive and guess what the pop sound is now gone.

Glad I have not gone to the dealer yet. lol

BlueJacket
11-04-2008, 11:43 AM
I just went out and reinstalled the lower pipe and filter. I changed the angle that the filter was on the pipe and now it does not touch anything. The sound is now gone.

I am guessing the rocking of the engine at stop and take off was enough for it to rub and make the poping sound.

todds87ss
11-04-2008, 08:20 PM
I would be very surprised if anyone gets strut bearings/struts replaced under warranty. Please post up if so. My experiences with GM are contrary. This is why Pedders sells so many components.