PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Fluid Change | 30,000 miles

G8Geek
04-07-2010, 10:42 AM
When are you guys changing your tranny fluid out. Dealer is recommending every 30,000. I have almost 50K on my 2009 G8GT. Please advise.

-Ray-
04-07-2010, 12:38 PM
The answer is in the manual. There is a post somewhere where you can download a pdf version of that. I have 27k miles and haven't even considered changing the fluid though.

SRG963
04-07-2010, 12:43 PM
http://www.pontiac.com/manuals/

To answer your question, 50k for hard driving conditions, 100k for easy driving conditions. I am going to change every 50k.

G8GT594
04-07-2010, 12:58 PM
My plan was to change it every 20k but seems like i am every 5k now due to other things lol.

G8Geek
04-08-2010, 10:39 AM
So we have anywhere from 20K to 100K... thanks for all the help :-) I did look in the manual, but I know there is a lot of "grey" in it. Many people have reported their cars being a quart low from the factory (or they just didn't notice it leaking - dim-wits didn't give us a dipstick, so I can't look at the fluid, smell it, etc, to gauge health. I do know two people that blew their tranny (around 20-30K miles). Yes, they both drag race the car (isn't that why we bought these), but this seemingly "monster" of a tranny found also in other aggressive rides has some potential to fall on its face. Now, I don't know if they were doing neutral drops or just plain stupid, but these guys know how to drive, and they drive hard. I just want to keep the 'environmentals' in the best shape possible.

My dealer wants to put in 13 qts, they do the usual "flush" (hopefully at the proper operating temperature) and they said every 30K. I guess since I have almost 50K on mine, I'm going to spend the $189 and do it (It takes them 1hr to do the job, it would take me at least three so its worth the $ to me). They said they replaced two G8GT trannies last month, both were covered, but they are $5K a piece! One guy at the dealership (who also owns a G8GT) said he does his every 30K. I don't believe after speaking with them, that they just want to up the frequency for the cash flow.

You also have TSBs regarding transmission slip (between 2 and 3), etc... I don't have any of that, but I understand that fluid can play a role in such behavior --- especially if you're a quart low.

GT-610
04-08-2010, 03:50 PM
i was told by two seperate dealers to do it at 50k..i drive hard and they werent concerned...

Panzer Leader
04-08-2010, 06:24 PM
I am doing mine at 25K. I look at the original trans/rear differential fluids like "breakin" types. Also, the trans on the V6 has two filters, both will be replaced. Old habits are hard to break. But I have to think that there are "impuries" caused by the initial wear, therefore the change out. A step further will be a complete brake fluid change out when new pads and rotors installed, hopefully around 30K. This will be the pre flight maintenance before the National Meet.

GeoffA
04-08-2010, 06:45 PM
I had mine changed at 3500... only because I had the flare fixed...

What dealer/ where in NY are you?

Blackrider
04-08-2010, 07:06 PM
So we have anywhere from 20K to 100K... thanks for all the help :-) I did look in the manual, but I know there is a lot of "grey" in it. Many people have reported their cars being a quart low from the factory (or they just didn't notice it leaking - dim-wits didn't give us a dipstick, so I can't look at the fluid, smell it, etc, to gauge health. I do know two people that blew their tranny (around 20-30K miles). Yes, they both drag race the car (isn't that why we bought these), but this seemingly "monster" of a tranny found also in other aggressive rides has some potential to fall on its face. Now, I don't know if they were doing neutral drops or just plain stupid, but these guys know how to drive, and they drive hard. I just want to keep the 'environmentals' in the best shape possible.

My dealer wants to put in 13 qts, they do the usual "flush" (hopefully at the proper operating temperature) and they said every 30K. I guess since I have almost 50K on mine, I'm going to spend the $189 and do it (It takes them 1hr to do the job, it would take me at least three so its worth the $ to me). They said they replaced two G8GT trannies last month, both were covered, but they are $5K a piece! One guy at the dealership (who also owns a G8GT) said he does his every 30K. I don't believe after speaking with them, that they just want to up the frequency for the cash flow.

You also have TSBs regarding transmission slip (between 2 and 3), etc... I don't have any of that, but I understand that fluid can play a role in such behavior --- especially if you're a quart low.

The TSB you are referring to is regarding inverted pump seals, not fluid level. I think 50,000 Miles is a good milage to have it done for more spirited driving habits.

G8Geek
04-09-2010, 06:07 AM
What dealer/ where in NY are you?

Thanks for all the feedback, I'm getting it done today. I'm located in Southern Dutchess County, NY but I use a dealer in NJ close to where I work (ez for drop-offs)... Plus I know a few of them there via common friends. If you're by Newburgh NY, there is a "modification" - friendly dealer there: http://www.colandreabuickpontiacgmc.com/

I am doing mine at 25K. I look at the original trans/rear differential fluids like "breakin" types.

-Makes sense to me!

G8Geek
04-09-2010, 06:24 AM
The TSB you are referring to is regarding inverted pump seals, not fluid level. I think 50,000 Miles is a good milage to have it done for more spirited driving habits.

Blackrider - Yes, I was referring to transmission flare TSB - seals, etc. Just an FYI that Dealers noticed that when addressing that issue that many of them had "low" (quart or so) tranny fluid. They explained how that condition can contribute to the behavior. There were reports of tranny fluid looking low (either it leaked, or it was low from the factory), at any rate, it wasn't the correct level in the tranny. Perhaps some have transmission irregularities and it is not caused by the TSB, but rather low fluid level.

MGM GT
04-09-2010, 06:31 AM
Most people are swapping out a good bit of the fluid when changing converters. Might as well throw one in if you plan to do the fluid.

G8Geek
04-09-2010, 10:52 AM
I just got back from the dealer and the tranny flush took 1.5 hours and it took 13.2 quarts. The process is kind of a pain in the neck especially with no dipstick, you have to add fluid, plug up, cycle through gears, add more fluid, etc. Maybe my dealer had a crappy machine, but this is how it went. It would of taken me probably 3+ hours, so I'm happy paying the $189 + tax. I should note that the tranny fluid did not look great. It was very dark in color and it was certainly due so I'm glad it is completed. My next change will probably be at 100K.

Most people are swapping out a good bit of the fluid when changing converters. Might as well throw one in if you plan to do the fluid.

-Not ready for that yet, not too good for a DD...at least I don't want to have to deal with stall :-)

MGM GT
04-09-2010, 02:17 PM
-Not ready for that yet, not too good for a DD...at least I don't want to have to deal with stall :-)

It's perfectly fine, I daily drive mine and it has 41k miles on it. There is nothing to deal with if its tuned right, just use the skinny pedal like you normally do. The only side effect is going faster.

G8Geek
04-12-2010, 06:52 AM
Thanks for the info MGM ... I'll consider it as a future upgrade.

matthewo
06-24-2010, 02:15 PM
so you guys are doing a flush without changing the filter. while i really would rather just flush it, because you dont have to drop the pan to replace the filter and change the seal on the pan, but i dont like flushing old fluid threw the filter im leaving in there.

Seattle09GT
06-24-2010, 02:32 PM
When are you guys changing your tranny fluid out. Dealer is recommending every 30,000. I have almost 50K on my 2009 G8GT. Please advise.

Ahhh, the dealer recommended service interval. You ONLY have to do what is required to maintain your warranty. That is covered in your owner's manual. Assuming you have an automatic G8 the requirements are 50K miles for hard driving conditions, and 100K miles for easy driving conditions. If you sit in stop and go traffic constantly, especially in hot conditions, if you do short, cold weather trips where the car can't warm up properly constantly, if you're starting and stopping over and over again for delivery or taxi service, if you drag race, AutoX and drive it like it is stolen all the time, severe service interval then. If you drive it like a grandma mostly and spend most of your time on suburban roads and highways than the 100K miles works fine. If you want to be SURE and you are on regular service schedule, 75K is a nice compromise.

The real question is, is the fluid burned or highly discolored? Then it is time to replace. I strongly doubt at 30K you need a tranny flush/fill - but the dealer would sure love to sell you that non-essential service!

Mier
06-24-2010, 05:43 PM
I'm going to do mine at 50k. What fluid does the rear end use? I usually do them both at the same time just for simplicity sake. (that and I didn't change the rear-end fluid on my old truck and that led to a very large repair bill)

Also, I didn't know our power steering fluid and tranny fluid are the same.

sweetair
06-25-2010, 06:51 AM
I am doing this right now to my other vehicle, a 2007 SAAB 9-3 Aero. I am now putting a NEW trannt @ the dealer. You gotta love when preventive maintenance ends up in disaster. It is under warranty but not what I wanted none the less.

texn884
06-25-2010, 04:33 PM
If you have it changed with synthetic transmission fluid you can go 100,000 miles with no issues.

Make sure whom ever changes the fluid that they use the BG Products machine for the flush. They add a some items to keep every thing proctcted along with the synthetic tranny fulid.

Andy@SquashPerformance
07-15-2010, 08:29 PM
About once a month :) If you ever see trans temps upwards of 250 degrees for a while I think it's wise to change it. Short of that I don't think you need to until 100k. That doesn't feel right though.

Andy

laserred
08-17-2010, 04:22 PM
so you guys are doing a flush without changing the filter. while i really would rather just flush it, because you dont have to drop the pan to replace the filter and change the seal on the pan, but i dont like flushing old fluid threw the filter im leaving in there.

Well, I don't know about the other guys on here, but my brother has worked for GM dealers and is ASE certified, and has seen "flushes" cause plenty of their own issues like stripping more material off the clutches and bands (other trannies). Namely, when you simply drop the pan and drain the fluid and change the filter, everything internally stays pretty much as-is. Flushing the tranny means forcing fluid the opposite of what the clutches and guts are used to and can cause other durability issues that are never discussed. Of course the dealer will jump at selling you the $189 flush over the $99 drain-and fill any time, regardless if there are other longevity issues. At 50k I doubt flushing has any of these negatives, but you can bet if I go 100k on tranny fluid EVER I will drain and refill. My $.02, I'm sure others have their feelings on flushing as well.

gr8lover
08-17-2010, 06:44 PM
I changed mine at about 10,000 miles. :) .... and will continue to change whenever the trans goes bad :)

Mike P
08-18-2010, 02:26 AM
I changed mine at about 10,000 miles. :) .... and will continue to change whenever the trans goes bad :)

lol

edfiero
06-20-2016, 11:43 AM
Bump for an old thread. Anyone visit the dealer for a Tranny fluid change in the last year? I wonder what the going rate is.
If its 250 or less, I guess I'll let them do it.... any more than that I'd attempt it myself, though not looking forward to investing 3 hours.

-Ray-
06-20-2016, 03:16 PM
I wouldn't expect more than $175. It is a fluid exchange. Good in bad out using a machine.

TonyKarter
06-22-2016, 08:11 AM
I've been putting this off, so this thread came up under my search regarding it. Some questions:

1. A properly done flush will send fluid in the OPPOSITE direction of its operating flow direction?

Make sure whom ever changes the fluid that they use the BG Products machine for the flush. Why the BG Products machine? Is it specified by GM?

Napalm
06-27-2016, 06:51 AM
Don't know that's it's specified by GM per se but they did develop a process with GM for trans flush. Also that but about oppose the flow direction, you know there are parts in the trans valve body where the goes both ways right?

the key is that the machine as a good enough filter on it - such as to trap out and not allow the old shit back in.

biggest issue - regardless of the machine or the fluid used.

if you have gone some 5 + years on the trans - and/or say 50K or so miles and it has never ever been done, or you've never pulled the pan.

then the likelyhood you will jar something loose either off the bottom of the pan, or out of the filter, or grains of nast out of the gears - is very likely and it's equally likely that nast will get stuck someplace that it cannot release from. This is the bigger concern.

The 6L80 and it's follow on's have been designed so a flush will work on the machine. there are even places in the valve body that are for cleaning - so it's not a bad idea.

Personally I still like to pull the pan and get a new filter but even I have to admit the new filter doesn't do a whole hell of a lot. Mostly I want to clean the pan.

All that said I've had my g8 flushed once back at 61K miles. I bought the car with 58K on it, used. So first thing I did was flush it - and back at 128K ish I pulled the pan and filter. that was honestly a bitch in my driveway on jack stands. fluid was very dark - pan has a layer of stuff in it (I think mostly clutch materiel) but bangs gears like always.

If you've banged it hard And I'm guess you have - I would strongly suggest doing something. Pan dump or the flush. If still under 50K miles and 5 years (about the time the fluid just loses all anit-foam and Protection agents) - then a flush should be fine. If you do lots of highway miles - kick that out more towards 75K, if you did lots of 1/4 runs kick it down closer to 40K.

But there's a point where the fluid doesn't do much inside - and you're making more clutch and other metal than you should be - that's when you need a pan drop.

my 0.03

TonyKarter
06-27-2016, 05:22 PM
Best price I've got on a flush and filter change is $290. It is as if they have never heard of changing a transmission filter, and are almost incredulous at hearing that requested. They maintain that the flush cleanses the filter. Me: "Good. But I still want a new filter and pan gasket installed. Can I get both a flush and a filter change done here?" Them: (Insert deer in the headlights blank stare here.)

-Ray-
06-28-2016, 02:35 AM
There is a magnet surrounding the drain. With fluid movement it should catch any metal plate material. I did the Camaro pan and when I took the G8 pan off there was very little stuck to the magnet. Clutch material was a very thin film stuck to the bottom of the pan. At 40+ K miles my fluid looked new. Bright red color. As some of you know, I have not been easy on the drive train.
The filter I took off, didn't see any thing wrong with it. Looked like a 10 micron filter anyway. only going to stop the largest pieces. If you have that, then you have larger problem that a filter won't help.

NJBlackG8GT
01-02-2017, 06:10 PM
At your mileage, I would change both fluid and filter.