PDA

View Full Version : M6 downshifting speeds?

MoonPie
04-05-2010, 05:32 PM
Alright, don't flog me for such a novice question, but as the title states, what are the optimal speeds for one to safely downshift the M6 GXP? At what speed/gear combo is the G8 GXP in it's highest power range? I think the correct word is power band, right? Thanks.

Omega
06-07-2010, 04:49 AM
Cruising at 75 - 80, going from 6th to 4th is usually enough to leave the car behind you fairly quickly. Its not a violent take off, but does the job. At that same speed, going from 6th to 3rd puts the rpms way up there and usually breaks the tires loose causing TC to ruin the fun.

You will find that the car comes alive above 4K, and keeps on pulling to 6K. These engines have a flat powerband so you don't get the nice kick in the butt then fall off REAL quick (if you have ever driven a TPI car you know what I am talking about)

BTW, the torque on demand will always screw with you. It could be just me, but the car doesn't always give you its all and sometimes give you more than you were expecting.

Enjoy your ride, I certainly do!

Omega
06-07-2010, 04:51 AM
Cruising at 75 - 80, going from 6th to 4th is usually enough to leave the car behind you fairly quickly. Its not a violent take off, but does the job. At that same speed, going from 6th to 3rd puts the rpms way up there and usually breaks the tires loose causing TC to ruin the fun.

You will find that the car comes alive above 4K, and keeps on pulling to 6K. These engines have a flat powerband so you don't get the nice kick in the butt then fall off REAL quick (if you have ever driven a TPI car you know what I am talking about)

BTW, the torque on demand will always screw with you. It could be just me, but the car doesn't always give you its all and sometimes give you more than you were expecting.

Enjoy your ride, I certainly do!

exesivefire
08-10-2010, 03:44 PM

I know exactly what you mean!

Although I assume its this darn heat and humidity..

We have only had a few under 80* days since my purchase, but on those days, MAN this thing will catch you off guard.

As to the OP's question, I have been finding some back roads to play around with it, I am always really bad at knowing speeds, but can "feel" it out better.
Not sure if that makes sense to you or not. ( as mentioned above though, I'd leave the TC on till you know for sure )