PDA

View Full Version : American Racing Headers | RotoFab | VMS Tune

G8Geek
04-05-2010, 11:04 AM
I just wanted to first thank Charlie for creating this forum as it proves to be an invaluable resource for myself to learn more about my car, the G8. I'd like to keep this brief, but I just wanted to share that a few months ago, I made three changes to my car which made a significant difference to my driving experience. After a significant amount of research, I decided to modify my 2009 G8GT with American Racing Headers 1-7/8", RotoFab CAI, and a VMS Tune. I spoke to Kirk over at Vector Motorsports and he already had a tune for the header\CAI combo I chose, which made me feel better since he had my exact setup on a Dyno already. Yes, I know every car is different and there is no better way then actually throwing your actual car on a dyno and getting it tuned, but at the time, there werent may tuners in my area that understood the G8 as well as Kirk. So I went with it and haven't had an issue in the 9 months my ECM/TCM was tweaked. I did all three of these in the same day, so I do not notice the difference as each component was added. I wanted to do all three because they really all "go together". The big nostrils up front (CAI), the "Phelps"-like exhale (AR Headers), and the "smarts" to get the most out of them (Tune). Without getting too verbose, I can ensure you that the car I drove away in was VERY different than the one that ignited that morning.

The biggest difference was a significant change in the power band, I just had a lot more car. The sound too is amazing (best of both worlds), tame at slow speeds and a beast when opend up. I left the stock mufflers on for back pressure and Dyno results have proved only a 5hp gain when they're removed. I spoke to Tom at ARH who also has a G8 and he convinced me of this setup. I can only thank the very quality products and everyone I dealt with at ARH, RotoFab, and VMS were top-notch in both knowledge and response. I also have a cool "Dealer" who appreciates the automobile. What I needed was a four-door Family sedan that has balls and can easily fit a car seat. I had no idea what I was getting for the money but this has to be one of the best cars ever to see the asphault. I can write a book about this car, but It's my belief that these three changes have proven to be a solid combination without jeopardizing the integrity and reliability of the rest of the components. I have close to 50,000 miles on this setup and it is ONE HELL OF A DAILY DRIVER. I get more looks and compliments and I don't feel like a teenager driving it. It the closest thing to that E55 AMG I always wanted for considerably less dime :-) Now I'm itching for a Maggie though!

If you're in North Jersey or Southern New York and desire the same improvements, go to the below shop, they are meticulous and overall awesome people

Speak to "Rob" and let him know that "Ryan" sent you for a discount on services.
Stage1 Automotive
stage1auto@optonline.net
422 State Rt 23 # 3
Pompton Plains, NJ 07444-1825
(973) 839-4900

dthornton8
04-05-2010, 11:41 AM
Very good write up, thanks for the info!

-Ray-
04-05-2010, 04:17 PM
Excellent post. All are great products. My G8 was on Vector's dyno with the same combination.

G8Geek
04-07-2010, 06:33 AM
Ray,

If you don't mind, can you tell me the hp and torque you realized on the dyno with these three additions? I'm just looking for a ballpark (I'm guessing mid 3's)... I appreciate your response. Thanks.

fiveoh
04-07-2010, 08:01 AM
345-370 seem to be typical ballpark figures for headers/cai/tune. I'd guess with mail order tunes(I have the same vector tune) it would be more towards the lower end.

Who cares about dynos thou, its all about the track #'s. :D

G8Geek
04-07-2010, 10:04 AM
Thanks fiveoh... I guess to get the maximum rwhp and rwtq out of your components, you would need access to a Dyno and more importantly a knowledgeable tuner who knows your car. The dyno should equate to better track #'s given the driver has the same skills, so I wouldn't say "Who cares about dynos" :-)

fiveoh
04-07-2010, 11:02 AM
Thanks fiveoh... I guess to get the maximum rwhp and rwtq out of your components, you would need access to a Dyno and more importantly a knowledgeable tuner who knows your car. The dyno should equate to better track #'s given the driver has the same skills, so I wouldn't say "Who cares about dynos" :-)

What I meant by the d yno comment.... one dyno your car will read 350 another 365... they are good for a tuning tool but the numbers are inconsistent from dyno to dyno.

Punisher
04-07-2010, 05:30 PM
What I meant by the dyno comment.... one dyno your car will read 350 another 365... they are good for a tuning tool but the numbers are inconsistent from dyno to dyno.

+1... lets see them track times!

G8Geek
04-08-2010, 11:06 AM
Understood completely. Dyno's in my experience have been good when using the same one over and over again as you make changes... given barometric pressure, temperature, humidity, etc are all accounted for appropriately. There really are a lot of factors, even mechanical factors regarding the dyno equipment itself. Say if you have three engines, you take one and modify it, if you run it over and over again against the other two engines on the same dyno and you're always 10% more, then the "repetition" is what becomes "consistent". With all conditions being the same, the driver than takes the two "stock" engines out on the track and records his times. Now, put the same driver on the engine with 10% more power, and you should have better track times :-) Tuning is an art form and horsepower can certainly change from dyno to dyno, state to state. This is a very 'deep' topic so I'll stop here, but I hear ya fella.

hflores3
04-14-2010, 06:52 AM
Just intalled the ARH and Rotofab this weekend. The tuner is out for 2 weeks so I"m waiting to get a quality tune.

I appreciate the write-up. I certainly agree with all that you said about the products. ARH makes a "very well" engineered system! The fit was exemplary!

As for dyno vs. track....... That one is easy for me.

The dyno helps the tuner validate the tweaks (I love the systematic nature of the dyno validating the changes to the tables).......the track means absolutely nothing to me. It's an interesting paradox as I'm a drag racing fan.

But ET's and trap speeds don't mean much to me -- if your car sees 99.9% of its life on public streets. If one is a "professional racer" then the context clearly changes. But for a daily driver....give me good day on a dyno with a good tuner.....then toss me the keys and let me enjoy the car with A/C on!!

Blkg8gt
06-11-2010, 02:54 PM
I was thinking about getting those headers also, still between kooks and arh. From some videos it sounds like the car is on idle and normal driving and only screams at wot, is this true?

1meand
06-12-2010, 08:13 AM
I was thinking about getting those headers also, still between kooks and arh. From some videos it sounds like the car is on idle and normal driving and only screams at wot, is this true?

It sounds different when idling/normal driving. Not much different than stock, more muscle car sounding and it sounds really good when WOT. It almost sounds like I have a different cam on cold starts in the morning. It makes my smile.

Blkg8gt
06-12-2010, 02:34 PM
It sounds different when idling/normal driving. Not much different than stock, more muscle car sounding and it sounds really good when WOT. It almost sounds like I have a different cam on cold starts in the morning. It makes my smile.

thanks thats what i was looking for

thegreatob
06-13-2010, 05:22 AM
I just installed the ARH 1 3/4" myself. I have the VMS tune but Vararam instead of Roto-fab. Car sounds awesome. I have yet to truly get on it but can't wait. Thumbs up for a great system!

Blkg8gt
06-13-2010, 05:24 AM
I want videos!!! lol too undecided between what headers i want