PDA

View Full Version : If I do one more big mod....

wreckwriter
11-02-2008, 07:39 AM
Well, I've decided I'm going to do one more big engine mod and, at least for the moment, call it a day on the engine side. The primary reason for this, regardless of if it's right or wrong, is that I'm concerned about the strength and longevity of the drive line. I've done a good deal of research and the options I'm currently considering are these, ordered by expense from high to low:

1- Procharger. If I go blower this will be the one. The main reason I will choose it over the Maggie or the KB is exactly the reason many people go the other direction. I like that the boost is less at low RPM. This is going to soften the blow to the driveline at launch. Cost- approx 8k

2- Non-DoD cam. Probably would go with the same cam that Jay is running, maybe a bit of head work at the same time. Cost- 3K or a bit more depending on head work.

3- Nitrous system, 125 shot with progressive controller. Same deal, with the controller I can soften the blow at launch and still bring in a buttload of power at the high end. Cost- 2-3k plus ongoing fills.

Advice always welcomed!

GRRRR8
11-02-2008, 07:56 AM
Option 1- I have used them in builds for years and love their intercoolers, they need to fix the air intake I dont care what anybody says. Why do we have CAIs if it doesnt make a difference. If I went this route I would fab the air intake myself.
Option 2- This is the route I am going. I might not make the TQ the blower cars do and may be a little bit shy on HP, but the driveline will thank me until better options are available.
Option 3- You cant go wrong with Nitrous. It is only a strain on components when in use which in a normal daily driver is under 15% of the time if that. I think Option 2 + 100 shot is plenty and will give any boosted car a run for the money at about 1/2 the cost or less.

SS Enforcer all motor 11.63 or faster by now
Matt @ TuneTime 11.43 Maggie,and a lot of bolt-ons and meth injection

If SS sprayed a 100 shot and keeps it off the limiter, 10sec car. I really think SS and Matt will both hit 10s, but SS will be all motor, stock shortblock.

It all comes down to how you want to do it and for how long.

bwooten492
11-02-2008, 08:11 AM
I agree with Charlie, I think a sprayed cam car would be sick! I think it might last longer too, because you are not always spraying. I don't think a cam is going to kill the driveline in your car, at least not for a while.

Mike P
11-02-2008, 08:46 AM
I'm going for Option #2, but you can do 1 or 3. More power = good. :)

wreckwriter
11-02-2008, 10:09 AM
I dunno, leaning towards #1 if I can figure out how to put the cash together. I agree that the intake will need modded. Either that or a cowl induction hood, modding the intake will be a lot easier.

In any case, around the first of the year I should be making the choice and the purchase. Until then I'm just going to do a couple of the BMR suspension parts, assuming they're priced halfway reasonably.

Panther 2
11-02-2008, 11:34 AM
The Panther will be huff'in with a ProCharger by the summer time , reason is simple , Fonse performance ( where I work ) is a w/d for them, and has installed and dyno'ed many.

wreckwriter
11-02-2008, 11:38 AM
The Panther will be huff'in with a ProCharger by the summer time , reason is simple , Fonse performance ( where I work ) is a w/d for them, and has installed and dyno'ed many.

That's helpful! My mechanic is also a dealer and I believe Vector is as well.

BSmith
11-02-2008, 02:31 PM
The LS motors love a cam. That's the option I would go with.

GRRRR8
11-02-2008, 03:12 PM
The LS motors love a cam. That's the option I would go with.

Nice to see you here!

99-LS1-SS
11-02-2008, 04:16 PM
I would go with option 1. I like the thought of having that power there all the time BUT having the drive-ablity of stock when you want it too. The cam definitely sounds good but with a supercharger you will be more sneaky and NEVER have to worry if the bottle is full. If I can wear my wife down I'm going with the Kenne Bell supercharger and the long tube headers with the stock mufflers.

My brother's car (my old Camaro SS) is a larger bore forged motor nitrous car. It's pretty wicked. 502 rwhp through a Yank converter and an automatic transmission BEFORE spray. It's probably going to be a high 9 second car that is "street legal". But you wouldn't want to hop in it and run up to the store or take the family out for a ride. It's a fast car and it sounds like it. The thought of a lot of power there when you push the peddle with no preparation while retaining good driving manners really appeals to me.

MtbDoc
11-02-2008, 06:52 PM
The other possibility is turbos. The GenTT setup for the GTOs required a bit more fabrication than we thought (due to the difference in RHD vs LHD cars that we have here), but the burst when I punch it is amazing. It is a bit more complex than the blower approach, and I want to do something different on this car (IF I add some boost) so I am looking at the superchargers.

Adding up the cost for cam + exhaust is just getting so high that the 'charger looks better and better...

wreckwriter
11-02-2008, 06:55 PM
Turbo is out for me, too much $ in exhaust already.

breakinparts
11-02-2008, 08:23 PM
I'm not sure, I think a twin screw would be nasty on these cars. Although, I do see what you mean by drivetrain and traction issues. I run a centrifugal on my Cobra and it is definitely a lot of fun. Good luck!

MtbDoc
11-03-2008, 05:06 AM
Turbo is out for me, too much $ in exhaust already.

I hear you...but you would not lose too much $ in the secondary market as you have bought EXCELLENT parts!

I haven't been in touch w/ Martin ("street tuna"') over in Aus, but given the change in the $$ rate, his VE GenTT kit may be quite affordable, and shouldn't have any substantive issues with the install, given it is a different configuration than the VZ cars.

BSmith
11-03-2008, 06:58 AM
Nice to see you here!

It's amazing what google will find. :cheers: