PDA

View Full Version : on star navigation well worth it

ULTRA Z
03-30-2010, 07:45 PM
i love it they are so helpfull and it is easy to see and drive its not like tring to look at a GPS stuck on the windshield here is some pics they even found me a steak house in the area i was in :)

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff159/ULTRA__Z/100_7034.jpg

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff159/ULTRA__Z/100_7035.jpg

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff159/ULTRA__Z/100_7036.jpg

fiveoh
03-31-2010, 06:30 AM
To each his own.

fredl11
03-31-2010, 06:34 AM
Why is your ESP OFF?? We're you road coursing OR SPEEDING??? :)
I liked the Nav while it was FREE but too much for me to spend. I'll suffer with the winshield mounted GPS. :(

WickedMom
03-31-2010, 07:22 AM
I use my onstar nav quite a bit. Even if I know where I am going, I like to see the mileage countdown (sometimes I get lost in the cruise) I wish there was a way to limit the amount of notifications though.

Otherwise I find it as accurate as my maps on my iPhone

johnbell2
03-31-2010, 07:52 AM
I went to the "dark side" and kept my Directions & Connections. Hasn't failed me yet, can't fault the service. Would help if it was a little cheaper but everyone complains about that.

ULTRA Z
03-31-2010, 10:43 AM
well i told the guy i wanted it and my old lady didn't and he gave me 50 dollars off :) so 50 dollars more very nice and i might have laid a little rubber down at the redlight before that one :) i couldn't help it so that explains the ESP being off

and yea i use it when i know the route so if i get to talking or something i wont pass it

Devilish34
03-31-2010, 11:00 AM
I tried it during the trial session seemed to work good

confused2much
03-31-2010, 01:13 PM
I think I would have problems looking down at the DIC while driving. Never even tried it while I had the free trial. I guess I'm used to the windshield mount style.

rmcrom
03-31-2010, 03:10 PM
How do you set your destination?

johnbell2
03-31-2010, 04:36 PM
I forward them from Mapquest - can do it from my phone.

EDIT: per the web site...

1. Find your destination at mapquest.com.
2. Choose send from the dropdown menu and then select “Send to OnStar”.
3. Log in using your OnStar account number and ZIP code.
4. In your vehicle, press the Hands Free Calling button and say "Virtual Advisor."
5. Listen to the prompts for your MapQuest destination.

ULTRA Z
03-31-2010, 04:55 PM
or hit the on star button tell them the address and done

Slyther83
03-31-2010, 07:09 PM
The visual aid and head level of a window mounted GPS is far more convenient, in my opinion. On-Star did tell me that I insufficiently tightened my gas cap thought :facepalm: one of my finer moments indeed.

Mike P
03-31-2010, 07:14 PM
Does this work only in the United States?

I need to get a GPS unit for Wales in the United Kingdom. We had one in our rental car when we found our house, but this directions & connections might be the hot ticket for me!

Great thread & great reminder for me...... thanks!

ULTRA Z
03-31-2010, 07:15 PM
i guess its what you prefer but i like this way better i actually took my window mount a through it in the trash i don't even have to look at it it tells me but if looking at the gauge cluster to so hard how do you guys tell how fast yall are driving ???

Mike P
03-31-2010, 07:17 PM
I forward them from Mapquest - can do it from my phone.

EDIT: per the web site...

1. Find your destination at mapquest.com.
2. Choose send from the dropdown menu and then select “Send to OnStar”.
3. Log in using your OnStar account number and ZIP code.
4. In your vehicle, press the Hands Free Calling button and say "Virtual Advisor."
5. Listen to the prompts for your MapQuest destination.

I like this way of loading the destination directions....

ULTRA Z
03-31-2010, 07:18 PM
Does this work only in the United States?

I need to get a GPS unit for Wales in the United Kingdom. We had one in our rental car when we found our house, but this directions & connections might be the hot ticket for me!

Great thread & great reminder for me...... thanks!

your welcome i travel a lot so little things thats easier like this is a huge deal to me just this year i went to detroit, houston, atlanta ga, gulfport ms, pensacola fl , New Orleans la, and a few others .

Mike P
03-31-2010, 07:45 PM
Just called On Star..... This is only available for the US and Canada....

I gotta buy a GPS for the UK, specifically Wales....

Seattle09GT
03-31-2010, 08:54 PM
I've tried to send via MapQuest more than once, it has never worked, and I have no understanding on why OnStar went with a fading flower for their online mapping partner. I'd rather it be Google or Bing (which is the old Map Blast).

About 1/3 of the time the directions fail to download, the car calls OnStar back, they try to send again, no joy. After three or four attempts they then offer to basically "read me the directions," which is almost impossible to deal with when I tried it one time. She read them off so fast we couldn't even understand them. When I used it in Canada I was told I was in an area where they couldn't download them to my car and could the read off. Thanks, no thanks. And of course the time the directions won't download are the times I REALLY REALLY REALLY needed the directions. I now feel I can't rely on it.

I got a free one year subscription as part of my no Bluetooth settlement with GM. I doubt given my experience that I will keep up the service.

ULTRA Z
03-31-2010, 09:00 PM
I've tried to send via MapQuest more than once, it has never worked, and I have no understanding on why OnStar went with a fading flower for their online mapping partner. I'd rather it be Google or Bing (which is the old Map Blast).

About 1/3 of the time the directions fail to download, the car calls OnStar back, they try to send again, no joy. After three or four attempts they then offer to basically "read me the directions," which is almost impossible to deal with when I tried it one time. She read them off so fast we couldn't even understand them. When I used it in Canada I was told I was in an area where they couldn't download them to my car and could the read off. Thanks, no thanks. And of course the time the directions won't download are the times I REALLY REALLY REALLY needed the directions. I now feel I can't rely on it.

I got a free one year subscription as part of my no Bluetooth settlement with GM. I doubt given my experience that I will keep up the service.

yea that would suck and i would be expecting some sort of refund i wouldn't resubscribe after that .... well i use mine all the time and always there and on spot so knock on wood lol

pokey
04-01-2010, 05:26 AM
Used it once to try it was accurate but ididn't like that I had to call OnStar to get the directions. Didn't know about the MapQuest feature.

confused2much
04-01-2010, 06:13 AM
i guess its what you prefer but i like this way better i actually took my window mount a through it in the trash i don't even have to look at it it tells me but if looking at the gauge cluster to so hard how do you guys tell how fast yall are driving ???

There is a difference between glancing down for a quick look at the speedo and trying to read what the DIC has displayed for my next turn/road name/distance. If I use my windshield mount, my eyes never completely leave the road. That's just my preference.

ULTRA Z
04-01-2010, 07:21 AM
its still just a glimps down. you don't even have to look they tell you were to go over the speakers

i used my window mount on my bike a few times :) its all good but my window mount wouldn't find my amusment parks in the area or zoos or a near by steak house thats why i like it so much in stead of having to do tons of searching a place to know whats there before i go i can just have them do it

Seattle09GT
04-01-2010, 01:44 PM
its still just a glimps down. you don't even have to look they tell you were to go over the speakers

i used my window mount on my bike a few times :) its all good but my window mount wouldn't find my amusment parks in the area or zoos or a near by steak house thats why i like it so much in stead of having to do tons of searching a place to know whats there before i go i can just have them do it

This is why the download issues I have is so frustrating. For example I got to a doctor's appointment an hour early because it was in Tacoma and I factored for traffic, that didn't materialize. So I pushed the button and asked for the nearest Jack-In-The-Box so I could nibble and kill some time. No problem, one just 1.5 miles away. And then it fails, then the sound of a phone ringing, and then endless beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep. Pushed the OnStar button, pulled over and came to a dead stop, tried again, and got the directions on the second try. Was great to be able to say, "find me the closest..." sucks that it doesn't download. if it worked right in my car, I'd keep it.

ULTRA Z
04-01-2010, 06:45 PM
This is why the download issues I have is so frustrating. For example I got to a doctor's appointment an hour early because it was in Tacoma and I factored for traffic, that didn't materialize. So I pushed the button and asked for the nearest Jack-In-The-Box so I could nibble and kill some time. No problem, one just 1.5 miles away. And then it fails, then the sound of a phone ringing, and then endless beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep. Pushed the OnStar button, pulled over and came to a dead stop, tried again, and got the directions on the second try. Was great to be able to say, "find me the closest..." sucks that it doesn't download. if it worked right in my car, I'd keep it.

Yea that sucks well so far so good on this end but best believe if it goes to crap i'll be on here telling my story for others to hear ....... and thanks for sharing so if it happens know i'll know its a common thing when i start to bless them out LOL

mackerman22
04-02-2010, 05:41 AM
I only used it during the free trial. I found it difficult to follow. It also took a long time to recalculate and update the route if you took a wrong turn. I was not impressed by the system. I will stick with the Garmin.

Louie
04-27-2010, 07:42 PM
I'm happy with mine on G8 GT, have on 2 other GM cars a litte different but use it on daily basis.

o.m.louie sater