PDA

View Full Version : IP cluster recall 9076?

LS1_Disciple
03-28-2010, 03:12 PM
Anyone heard of this? I brought in my GXP for the TPMS recall last week, and they also performed this at the same time. They had absolutely no idea what it did, only that it was needed :eyeroll:

The invoice I got says this specifically:

"Perform recall 09076 service update - Inv & Cust Veh - IP cluster reprog - expires with base"

WickedMom
03-28-2010, 03:20 PM
It is a software update. No worries.

This bulletin provides a service procedure to reprogram the IP cluster on certain 2009 model year Pontiac G8, and export Chevrolet Caprice and Lumina vehicles. During vehicle service, if the battery is disconnected and the air bag diagnostic module is subsequently disconnected, and then the battery reconnected without reconnecting the air bag diagnostic module, the supplemental inflatable restraints (SIR) may be disabled. In the event of incorrect service as noted, SIR warning lamps would not indicate that the SIR system is inoperative.

LS1_Disciple
03-28-2010, 03:35 PM
Cool. Thanks, WickedMom.

VQ35DE
03-29-2010, 02:26 AM
I got my IPC updated also. Now the DIC has new functions that it did not used to have. It also made some changes to the engineering mode also. Worth the time to get the update.

mi04se1
03-29-2010, 05:34 AM
What different options does it have?

firemate
03-29-2010, 12:48 PM
Yeah, now I'm curious too, as I didn't hear about the changes and I have access to that update tomorrow I think, what changes are made to the DIC and the engineering mode?????

firemate
03-29-2010, 01:20 PM
Ok, getting it done tomorrow

GeoffA
03-29-2010, 02:46 PM
I got my IPC updated also. Now the DIC has new functions that it did not used to have. It also made some changes to the engineering mode also. Worth the time to get the update.

What different options does it have?

Yeah, now I'm curious too, as I didn't hear about the changes and I have access to that update tomorrow I think, what changes are made to the DIC and the engineering mode?????

yeah, whats this all about?

VQ35DE
03-29-2010, 05:17 PM
It adds a time and milage counter to the DIC and updates and corrects some of the functions. I liked it better. Just get it done while warranty is still good. (free) It is worth the time to get it done.

It will show a different Software Number (same part number) in the engineering mode after it is reflashed/updated.

VQ35DE
03-29-2010, 05:39 PM
Check this out.

http://tis2web.service.gm.com/tis2web/?target=A3KBA0DBATABA&target.method=onSubmit&AYHBAAFBAZ9BAcid=1&bm=_top#_top
http://tis2web.service.gm.com/tis2web/?target=A3KBA0DBATABA&target.method=onSubmit&AYHBAAFBAZ9BAcid=1&bm=_top#_top

VQ35DE
03-29-2010, 05:44 PM
GM Vehicle Calibration Information

VIN: 6G2EC57Y09L189306
Controller: IPC Instrument Panel Cluster

Calibration History for: Operating system
Part Number CVN Bulletin # Description
92244646 00006CAD - OS update to address IPC related flat battery and IPC caused SDM loss of communication
92222110 00007256 - Operating system

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Calibration History for: Fuel
92200165 000062E5 - New calibrations for improved operation.
92197255 N/A - New part numbers required to breakpoint Instrument Cluster software for the Holden VE/WM platforms.
92193128 N/A - Fuel

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Calibration History for: Service
92193131 0000644D - Service

Print Close

Mier
03-30-2010, 06:49 PM
I have a question, which computer is getting these updates? I've heard of the ECM, TCM, and even a BCM. First two are easy enough but the BCM supposedly controls the rest of the vehicle. I'm only wondering if it's something I'd have to worry about as I play with my performance tunes?

firemate
03-30-2010, 07:16 PM
Well crap. Did the upgrade tonight. Sure, slight software version change in engineering mode, but literally nothing else changed. Maybe I already had the updated DIC and never knew it? Had to reset my TPM sensors which was easy, and my average fuel economy was reset, but that was it. Nothing new for me.

Oh well.

VQ35DE
03-31-2010, 01:57 AM
I did not have to reset anything after my update.

firemate
03-31-2010, 03:54 AM
What is your software version when you go to engineering mode? I'm gonna check my car too, see if it's the right update

jnak
03-31-2010, 05:07 AM
It adds a time and milage counter to the DIC and updates and corrects some of the functions. I liked it better. Just get it done while warranty is still good. (free) It is worth the time to get it done.

It will show a different Software Number (same part number) in the engineering mode after it is reflashed/updated.

Can you take pictures of these new features? There has also been a rest reminder timer on the G8 and of the course the odometer was always in the DIC so I'd like to see if you actually got new features or just found some existing ones.

-Ray-
03-31-2010, 05:08 AM
This is an old update. May '09

firemate
03-31-2010, 05:18 AM
Hmm. I got my car in November '09. I guess it had the newer features, like a countdown timer for distance, etc. Someone must have updated it already before I got it, although when I looked on GMVIS I didn't see anything related to it. Oh well, got excited for a bit there that it was going to be something new for me... that said, anyone who doesn't have it yet, check it out because it is nifty.

I'm bored, and have to kill time after hosting a GM Conference today, so let me take a few mins to take pictures of it, and I'll upload them later.

Derek

mi04se1
03-31-2010, 05:56 AM
I read the bulletin this morning, vin break is from 9L182220 to 9L318757. It says dealers are to confirm eligibilty prior to beginning repairs by using th GMVIS . NOT all vehicles within the breakpoints may be involved.

VQ35DE
03-31-2010, 04:52 PM
Can you take pictures of these new features? There has also been a rest reminder timer on the G8 and of the course the odometer was always in the DIC so I'd like to see if you actually got new features or just found some existing ones.

I am NOT talking about the Rest Reminder or the Odometer. I know what they are.

VQ35DE
03-31-2010, 04:53 PM
I read the bulletin this morning, vin break is from 9L182220 to 9L318757. It says dealers are to confirm eligibilty prior to beginning repairs by using th GMVIS . NOT all vehicles within the breakpoints may be involved.

Could you post this TSB please ?

VQ35DE
04-01-2010, 03:05 AM
The GM part# 92222102
Old Software Ver.= 020.022.115
New Software Ver.=021.023.116

The update will also increase your battery life. I. E.=Operating System update to address IPC related flat battery and IPC caused SDM loss of communication .
Glad the dealer did it for me.

catalina421
04-01-2010, 04:26 AM
Is this at all related to any problems with the DIC? I noticed mine will pixelate for a quick second. Its very rare. One other time I made an onstar call and when I finished the call my Digital spedomete did not display. only the radio station above the red line did. I take it the recall covers me if my vin applies although its past warranty?

jnak
04-01-2010, 06:00 AM
I am NOT talking about the Rest Reminder or the Odometer. I know what they are.

Fair enough. So can you take some pictures?

VQ35DE
04-01-2010, 03:14 PM
Document ID: 2281628

#09076: Service Update for Inventory and Customer Vehicles - IP Cluster Reprogram - Expires with Base Warranty - (May 21, 2009)

Subject:
09076 -- Service Update for Inventory and Customer Vehicles -- IP Cluster Reprogram - Expires with Base Warranty

Models:
2009 Pontiac G8

2009 Chevrolet Caprice, Lumina (Export)

THIS SERVICE UPDATE INCLUDES VEHICLES IN DEALER INVENTORY AND CUSTOMER VEHICLES THAT RETURN TO THE DEALERSHIP FOR ANY REASON. IT WILL EXPIRE AT THE END OF THE INVOLVED VEHICLE'S NEW VEHICLE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD.

Purpose

This bulletin provides a service procedure to reprogram the IP cluster on certain 2009 model year Pontiac G8, and export Chevrolet Caprice and Lumina vehicles. During vehicle service, if the battery is disconnected and the air bag diagnostic module is subsequently disconnected, and then the battery reconnected without reconnecting the air bag diagnostic module, the supplemental inflatable restraints (SIR) may be disabled. In the event of incorrect service as noted, SIR warning lamps would not indicate that the SIR system is inoperative.

This service procedure should be completed as soon as possible on involved vehicles currently in dealer inventory and customer vehicles that return to the dealer for any type of service during the New Vehicle Limited Warranty coverage period.

Vehicles Involved

A list of involved vehicles currently in dealer inventory is available on the "Service Update Bulletin Information" link under the "Service" tab in GM GlobalConnect used to release this bulletin. Customer vehicles that return for service, for any reason, and are still covered under the vehicle's base warranty, and are within the VIN breakpoints provided below, should be checked for vehicle eligibility in the appropriate system listed below.

Year
Division
Model
From
Through

Pontiac
G8
9L182220
9L318757

Chevrolet
Lumina/Caprice
9L201808
9L328691

Important: Dealers are to confirm vehicle eligibility prior to beginning repairs by using the GM Vehicle Inquiry System (GMVIS). Not all vehicles within the above breakpoints may be involved.

Parts Information

No parts are required for this service update.

Service Procedure

Do not attempt to order the calibration number from GMSPO. The calibration numbers required for this service procedure are programmed into control modules via a Multiple Diagnostic Interface (MDI) or Tech 2® scan tool and TIS2WEB with the calibration update. Use TIS2WEB on or after 05/11/09 to obtain the calibration. If you cannot access the calibration, call the Techline Customer Support Center and it will be provided.

For step-by-step programming instructions, please refer to SI and the Techline Information System (TIS) terminal.

Verify that there is a battery charge of 12 to 16 volts. The battery must be able to maintain a charge during programming. Only use an approved Midtronic 165-PSC charger to maintain proper battery voltage during programming.
Reprogram the instrument panel cluster (IPC). Refer to SI and Service Programming System (SPS) documentation for programming instructions, if required.
Connect the MDI or Tech 2® to the vehicle.

Note: Select J2534 MDI or J2534 Tech 2® and Reprogram ECU from the Select Diagnostic Tool and Programming Process screen. The J2534 MDI will reprogram the module in less time than the Tech 2® scan tool. DO NOT choose "Tech 2 Legacy Pass-Thru".

Note: Do NOT select Instrument Panel Configuration or Instrument Panel Setup. Wait for calibrations to display. Confirm presence of calibration number 92242799.

Select IPC Instrument Panel Cluster from the Supported Controllers screen.

Follow the on-screen instructions.

Using the MDI or Tech 2®, clear all DTCs if required.

Claim Information

For vehicles repaired under this service update, use:

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time

V2084
Reprogram IPC

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

firemate
04-02-2010, 06:20 AM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2804/4484322734_69468d3053.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4036/4483673409_fe135c45c5.jpg

So, is this one of the new features? Because I had this since I got my car, but others hadn't heard of it

mi04se1
04-02-2010, 09:36 AM
Thats the first time I seen it.

firemate
04-02-2010, 09:49 AM
Ah, ok, then that answers it for sure for me. I already had the update and never knew about it, as it was done before I picked up my car in November.

Oh well, thought there'd be something funky and new, but for those who don't have it, you should. Without an old one side by side to compare, I must say there's some neat things that i find useful in my DIC that you're prolly missing out on

jnak
04-02-2010, 08:32 PM
Yeah I'm pretty sure I don't have that either. Although I haven't gone in the rest reminder menu since I got the car.

Seattle09GT
04-02-2010, 09:56 PM
My car has this already. I took delivery of my car in May of 2009. I've used the feature a couple of times. I had this same option, distance to destination, in my 1989 Ford Probe. However the DIC in that car had ten buttons, and when you went to enter the mileage it was done by inputting the numbers, versus fiddling with the thumb wheel, and was accessible with a single push. So I used it a lot more in that vehicle.

-Ray-
04-03-2010, 03:44 AM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2804/4484322734_69468d3053.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4036/4483673409_fe135c45c5.jpg

So, is this one of the new features? Because I had this since I got my car, but others hadn't heard of it

Underspeed chime? LOL My G8 doesn't need this!

frasermobile
08-17-2013, 04:16 PM
Hi Guy's iam in Aus and tried to fit used instrument cluster to 2009 VE Commodore / Pontiac every thing works ok but ABS / Traction turned off displays warning lights and fault code in cluster , wrong Vin . I have tech 2 and tis to web so flashed cluster ok but wrong vin still displayed . has any one done this before appreciate any advice