PDA

View Full Version : tsiconquest88 - Sold a dead item [Dashhawk]

MIEngineer
03-28-2010, 05:56 AM
Bought a Dashhawk from him, it is completely dead.

Paypal bent me over for $180 when the seller and I were in discussions for splitting MSDs fees to R&R the unit. Thanks to Paypal, I'm tossing $180 in the trash [literally] and then some.

http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?15244-Dashhawk-Problem&p=235318#post235318

-Ray-
03-28-2010, 06:13 AM
We had rules in place to prevent this. I even edited the sellers thread.

MIEngineer
03-28-2010, 07:21 AM
Frankly,I don't think the rules would've done much anyway. Had he posted photos etc and even had the post count, the unit was still DEAD.

I think a requirement should be that the seller must have photos of the item WORKING if it is electronic equipment. Consider that, my $.02

Ktlplxm
03-28-2010, 08:39 AM
a picture of it working doesn't prove anything except it worked once. Sorry to hear about you luck though. If you received it through pay-pal, find his address and have a face to face chat with his ass. Most people are way more willing to admit there error in person.a small person used for kicking around and also used for betting with.

polo
03-28-2010, 08:43 AM
a picture of it working doesn't prove anything except it worked once. Sorry to hear about you luck though. If you received it through pay-pal, find his address and have a face to face chat with his ass. Most people are way more willing to admit there error in person.a small person used for kicking around and also used for betting with.

He wants his money back... I don't think talking to the guy's ass is going to accomplish that. :)

He's right though about the picture of it working not really proving that it works.

MIEngineer
03-28-2010, 05:06 PM
A picture is better than nothing - mine shows up with a BLANK screen, a picture would've at least displayed a proper screen that it should have displayed from the start

The guy is in NY, I am in Michigan. Not much to work on there.

BlueJacket
03-28-2010, 05:13 PM
A picture is better than nothing - mine shows up with a BLANK screen, a picture would've at least displayed a proper screen that it should have displayed from the start

The guy is in NY, I am in Michigan. Not much to work on there.

Whats to stop him from posting a pic of a unit that works and still sending you the dead one?

norm8332
03-28-2010, 05:16 PM
Give him a call. I've done this for dead beats on ebay. Sometimes they get scared and make good.

G8GT594
03-28-2010, 05:29 PM
I'm actually suprised to here that paypal sided with the seller on this one. Sorry Dan :(

-Ray-
03-28-2010, 05:29 PM
The point being this guy was called out and you bought anyway. I agree that NO ONE should sell ANY defective item. buyer beware.

When someone comes on the forum with 1 post, has no G8, that should be a red flag.

DRCUSTOMPARTS
03-28-2010, 05:37 PM
I just read the Paypal user agreement and they only stand behind an item not as described on Ebay, but not through a private sale. This makes sense because Paypal has no way of knowing what the condition of the item was when the buyer and seller made the deal. On Ebay they can look at the listing and determine the condition on the item from the description. Here's the user agreement relating to this matter.

The PayPal Buyer Complaint Policy is similar to PayPal Buyer Protection in that it enables buyers to file Disputes for Items Not Received (INR), or for items that are Significantly Not as Described (SNAD). By filing a Dispute, you can communicate with the seller and attempt to resolve the problem. If you are unable to resolve the problem, you may escalate an Item Not Received (INR) Dispute to a Claim – but you may not escalate a Significantly Not as Described Dispute to a Claim. You may not file a dispute for a Personal Payment.

BlueJacket
03-28-2010, 05:57 PM
Always use a CC on Paypal when buying from an unknown seller.

MIEngineer
03-28-2010, 06:10 PM
The point being this guy was called out and you bought anyway. I agree that NO ONE should sell ANY defective item. buyer beware.

When someone comes on the forum with 1 post, has no G8, that should be a red flag.

Done beating a dead horse yet with that comment, Ray? Seriously, everytime you post this it pisses me off even more as of late.

DR - Paypal FORCED me to escalate to a claim otherwise they would have closed the dispute - they sent me three emails stating so if i did not do it by 3/28 and i didn't post to pay me $180 but Paypal did, i posted for the $95 and posted it was for MSD repair/replace,

Ktlplxm
03-29-2010, 07:04 AM
Look Ray is just making a point that we should all adhere to, don't get mad for him doing his job. The fact is the guy you bought it from is a piece of shit, plain and simple. Which part of NY is he in? Do you have any friends who live nearby? are there any members who live nearby? I by no means am insinuating anything "physical" should take place, but often when talking to a face instead of a screen name the guilty person will often fold because they know that you do know where they are and how to find them. Knowing where they are also makes it easier to press legal charges such as fraud or breach of trust.

confused2much
03-29-2010, 07:32 AM
I have gone through this with paypal before and what DR posted is correct. Anything bought outside of ebay is not guaranteed past the buyer receiving it. If you get it and it's not what you expected than paypal says tough shit better luck next time. Pisses me off.

Try selling the broken unit on ebay now to try to recoup some of your losses. People on ebay buy broken things all the time with hopes of fixing them.

I definitely would not have bought from someone with that few posts. I'm just sayin....

r33pwrd
03-29-2010, 07:52 AM
Do you have his address or email? find him on a forum he is a part of and call him out there, that just might help! Does he respond to your email?

BlueJacket
03-29-2010, 08:34 AM
Looks like this guy is a member of a number boards. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=tsiconquest88&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

www.turbo-mopar.com he has over 1,000 posts

He is also a mod on www.g54b.com

He also posts on www.gaownersclub.com maybe some fellow Pontiac guys will help you out.

Sing up for these boards and call him out there.

polo
03-29-2010, 08:36 AM
lol. If the guy knew the Dashhawk didn't work, why the hell didn't he make a username different from the one he uses on all the other forums? Either he really didn't know it was broken, or he's an idiot.

BlueJacket
03-29-2010, 08:37 AM
lol. If the guy knew the Dashhawk didn't work, why the hell didn't he make a username different from the one he uses on all the other forums? Either he really didn't know it was broken, or he's an idiot.

I would bet both.

confused2much
03-29-2010, 09:22 AM

Time will tell which it is. If he is not willing to settle this dispute, and so far it looks as if he's not, then I say he knew it was broken and that makes him an idiot :bleh:

r33pwrd
03-29-2010, 09:47 AM
http://www.myspace.com/kingofstarions

BlueJacket
03-29-2010, 10:07 AM
Do you have his return address? If it was Harrison NY I have a phone number for you.

polo
03-29-2010, 10:18 AM
You all are going to get MIEngineer killed. He lives in WallKILL New York, and has Myspace friends named Murder, Jackie Dangerously, 6 Feet Deep, Settle the Score, The Rabid Squirrel, and The General. Sounds like an internet Gangster! :rofl:

confused2much
03-29-2010, 10:33 AM
You all are going to get MIEngineer killed. He lives in WallKILL New York, and has Myspace friends named Murder, Jackie Dangerously, 6 Feet Deep, Settle the Score, The Rabid Squirrel, and The General. Sounds like an internet Gangster! :rofl:

lmao....that shit is almost EPIC!

Ktlplxm
03-29-2010, 10:11 PM
how do you even plan something like that?
oh King of Starions....

DRCUSTOMPARTS
03-29-2010, 10:57 PM
That's what happens when you hang out with the wrong crowd....

polo
05-13-2010, 02:28 PM
Hey man, did anything ever come of this? Did the seller ever refund you any money, or did you file a claim with your credit card?

MIEngineer
05-13-2010, 06:13 PM
Nothing from the seller [including a promised $50], Paypal told me to get lost again...

It was not on a credit card so I got hosed for it.

Going to email the seller and a few other angles and see what happens. I still go with the fact that karma is a...:)

polo
05-13-2010, 07:34 PM
I'm sorry to hear that....

BigRed585Lbs
05-15-2010, 12:24 PM
Don't buy used electronics from your Mother, much less anyone else. Why they getting rid of it?

SportRedGT
05-15-2010, 03:12 PM
Don't buy used electronics from your Mother, much less anyone else. Why they getting rid of it?

Not necessarily. I mean, I have a Dashhawk that I bought used. It works flawlessly, but I've considered selling it to get a few bucks out of it because I simply don't use it as much as I thought I would and keeping it plugged in screws up my OnStar reports. Not that the OnStar reports really tell you anything you shouldn't already know, but the fact that I get an email with all sorts of error messages annoys me. The Dashhawk is kind of neat for those who really like to know what's going on at any given time, but nothing essential like a wideband for some of those highly modified cars with custom tunes and such.