PDA

View Full Version : Dealership oil change

Dunlin1
03-11-2010, 10:43 AM
I just had the oil changed by the Dealer on my GXP and wanted to know if anyone had the GM service part # for the synthetic oil change. This way if the #'s match, I will have somewhat peace of mind that they put in the right oil.

mi04se1
03-11-2010, 02:29 PM
They might use bulk oil from wherever they get their oil from, thats what we do. We have no specific part number for oil, but we do use an ac delco filter.

Blkg8gt
03-11-2010, 02:44 PM
yeah it is a bulk kinda oil. My dad told me what brand it was but ill ask him again.

616 of 933
03-11-2010, 03:08 PM
What does your oil cap say?

WickedMom
03-11-2010, 03:09 PM
Synthetic is not normally bulk. It is normally sold by the bottle. At least here anyway, I guess to be able to prove that it IS mobil1
12345885, is the part number we use for it. But I think we buy it on the outside, so the number may vary.

mi04se1
03-11-2010, 07:56 PM
We use Valvoline synthetic and we get it in drums from our oil company (Vesco).

08G8V8
03-12-2010, 05:17 AM
Synthetic is not normally bulk. It is normally sold by the bottle. At least here anyway, I guess to be able to prove that it IS mobil1
12345885, is the part number we use for it. But I think we buy it on the outside, so the number may vary.

I had my rear main seal leak fixed this week, and the invoice stated they used Mobil 1 oil and that part number looks like what was on the invoice. They did my last 3 oil changes using regular oil. I was surprised they used Mobil 1 this time. I guess for warranty work they just bill GM so it really doesn't matter to them what they use, unless they bill for Mobil 1 and use their regular bulk oil to make some profit.

Gordon Freeman
03-12-2010, 06:35 AM
Okay I need to take my GT in to have the oil changed. I bought the car used with 4338 miles on it and asked the dealer (out of state) to service it for me. So it’s had one oil change so far and I’m at about 6k on the car. Reason I want to change it now is in a couple of weeks we’re leaving on a trip and taking the G8. Is it worth the extra $ to go with Mobil 1? Can I go longer between oil changes with synthetic? If so and it will provide better protection against friction I don’t mind the extra money. Also if you use synthetic can you switch back to non synthetic? Thanks….

mi04se1
03-12-2010, 06:39 AM
I use Mobil 1. It all depends on how you drive. Synthetic doesnt change the intervels, but it would help prolong the life of the engine.

GXPaycheck
03-12-2010, 06:43 AM
I've been using Castrol Edge. Working good so far and nobody's hit me with their dipstick!

Dunlin1
03-12-2010, 11:05 AM
The G8 GXP is supposed to take only synthetic oil and it says mobil 1 synthetic 5w 30 on oil cap, invoice for oil change doesn't say synthetic or mobile 1, just a part #.

Gordon Freeman
03-13-2010, 05:59 AM
Thanks guys, I’m all about taking good care of my cars. I use Mobil 1 in my Camaro but I usually drive it less than 10 miles a yr. Last yr I only drove it 2 miles. In my Monte and in the Lincoln I have the oil changed every 2k. Probably overkill but I really baby my cars.

Rubbabubi
03-15-2010, 10:21 PM
I used my coupon that is from GM for free oil changes today. They didn't have Mobil 1, but they used Quaker State synthetic oil instead. It was free so I'm not complaining.

Dunlin1
03-17-2010, 10:15 AM
Just found my invoice for oil change for my G8 GXP.
# A M0017 WCPP LUBE, OIL AND FILTER .
Does anyone know what the code M0017 means ?

Tjay74
03-17-2010, 04:55 PM
I had my oil changed today and the part # for the oil was 12345885 as well. That is the number for Mobile 1 oil.

r08g8
06-25-2010, 06:14 PM
2 hour wait at the dealer for a 96 dollar oil change. I had to say forget that and went and bought my own oil and filter for 68.43 using mobil 1 oil.

Kenyata@EnduraCool
08-16-2010, 10:11 AM
I rarely go to a dealer fo an oil change it takes too long and is to expensive. I put synthetic oil in my car and it isn't every in bulk its always from a bottle.

BW G8GT
08-16-2010, 03:44 PM
I brought my car to the dealer last week for an oil leak. I had previously had my oil changed at a Goodyear auto center, which used synthetic oil. The dealer told me the oil pan gaskets needed to be replaced. The repairs were done under warranty, but the dealer charged me for the oil change because they said I had an aftermarket oil filter. New one on me.

08G8V8
08-16-2010, 04:59 PM
I brought my car to the dealer last week for an oil leak. I had previously had my oil changed at a Goodyear auto center, which used synthetic oil. The dealer told me the oil pan gaskets needed to be replaced. The repairs were done under warranty, but the dealer charged me for the oil change because they said I had an aftermarket oil filter. New one on me.

What oil filter did they use? The same aftermarket one or an ACDelco filter? I can understand if they charged you for the aftermarket filter and synthetic oil, but not if they charged you for a filter they were going to use anyway.

I had my rear main seal leak fixed and I had been using regular oil for my first 4 oil changes because they were free at the dealership. When they did the repair, they used Mobil 1 and did not charge me. I was very surprised they used Mobile 1, but happy.

BW G8GT
08-17-2010, 05:43 AM
What oil filter did they use? The same aftermarket one or an ACDelco filter? I can understand if they charged you for the aftermarket filter and synthetic oil, but not if they charged you for a filter they were going to use anyway.

I had my rear main seal leak fixed and I had been using regular oil for my first 4 oil changes because they were free at the dealership. When they did the repair, they used Mobil 1 and did not charge me. I was very surprised they used Mobile 1, but happy.

They used an ACDelco filter, and discarded the one previously used when Goodyear changed my oil last. Charged me $91.00 for synthetic.

SRG963
08-17-2010, 06:19 AM
I've been using Pennzoil Ultra....and yes, my car thinks she's a Ferrari.

I buy the 5 quart jugs of the stuff, and I use only Napa Gold Filters.

sta4
12-30-2010, 09:39 AM
Bringing this thread back, but is it necessary to run synthetic in a GT? I never asked my Goodyear center what type of oil they used, and the car has always run great (around 30k miles now). I am fairly certain it is nonsynthetic, b/c no oil change has ever been over $35 or so for me.

If I do switch to synthetic, can i just do so next oil change without any problems?

Sephiroth
12-30-2010, 03:21 PM
Bringing this thread back, but is it necessary to run synthetic in a GT? I never asked my Goodyear center what type of oil they used, and the car has always run great (around 30k miles now). I am fairly certain it is nonsynthetic, b/c no oil change has ever been over $35 or so for me.

If I do switch to synthetic, can i just do so next oil change without any problems?

being that the L76 is essentially a truck motor with a LS3 intake, It's designed for Dino Oil, the OCI reminder is set to Dino oil specifications. Use something that meets the GM specification code ( can't remember what the certification is right off hand) and you're fine. Saying that.. my car will only ever see synthetic. If you go near the throttle anywhere near often, you would definitally take advantage of a stronger oil. The price difference can't be >$20 between a jiffy-lube and some diy Penzsoil platinum, espically considering it's on sale frequently for $20-21 a 5qt jug @ wallyworld, and the filters are right behind you.

I've been using Pennzoil Ultra....and yes, my car thinks she's a Ferrari.

I buy the 5 quart jugs of the stuff, and I use only Napa Gold Filters.

that's what I use, $25 on sale @ wal-hoe. I use PF48 non e-core filters from old stock because they were $3/filter. When I run out I'll probally be using Wix (napa gold) filters.

polo
12-30-2010, 03:27 PM

It's all a matter of personal preference but if my car had 30k miles on dino oil, I wouldn't switch. I switched my car to synthetic at around 1k miles, but the main reason I did so was because I had a ton of synthetic left over from my Trans Am that I sold a few years ago.

You'll be fine running the non-synthetic as long as you change it regularly, unless you just particularly want to spend a fortune on oil changes. (synthetic's not cheap.... and needing nearly 9 quarts of it doesn't help).

Sephiroth
12-30-2010, 03:32 PM
If anyone plans on keeping their car for > 5 years or plans on any sort of modifications, synthetic is a no brainer, and the advantages are there even after 30K of dino oil use. Otherwise, I would be in agreement that Dino oil is just dandy.

(synthetic's not cheap.... and needing nearly 9 quarts of it doesn't help
Not cheap if compared to what a shop would charge you, but if he's spending $35 on an oil change, and is capable of a DIY, another $15 and he'll be in a fully synthetic with a name-brand filter.. which is pretty cheap when you can go 6-8K OCIs. He doesn't even have to buy name brand synthetic. Supertech Synthetic is an excelent oil that's far beyond any dino and costs < $20/5qts.

but this is all rather getting into BITOG territory.

texn884
12-31-2010, 01:33 PM
I am running Royal Purple and the Royal Purple Filter and drop the oil and filter at 8-9K which can be every month and a half. I don't mind my 2004 Colorado I have and run Amsoil and it has 383,000 miles on it does not use any oil or leak and runs like a top. Hard to top that stat.