PDA

View Full Version : Dry Shot installed.....

G8-4-Speed
03-08-2010, 07:58 PM
Had some xtra nitrous stuff laying around and have some new work coming up on another G8 so decide to install a dry shot with a tune to see how it would work. Well, it worked great but it did need a tune to use. It is just a basic install, no bottle heater, not WOT switch, no window switch, no timing retard box. Setup with a "bang-button" and a small 36 jet with 600 psi bottle pressure using a WB to watch the mix....

First quick hit took about .5-.7 off my normal WB reading raising it to 13.0ish, zero spark knock. Added 5% to my MAF from 20.00 and up brought me back down to 12.5ish(could have done it on the PE chart but didn't, I trust the MAF better for enrichment). SO, the MAF did not pick up and add(or add enough) from what the numbers show on a scan(MAF numbers) and WB. Once I added more fuel, my MAF picked up on a scan showing more air flow with the better AFR. Another issue was shift, my once 6400-6500 were 6500+ and was hit the fuel shut off at shifts. It worked out good since it made for easier shifts on the trans and axles and was in fairly smooth sequence with the shifts. I left the bottle heater off since "small steps" seemed like the smart thing to do. Next time out I will bump the bottle pressure up to 950 with a pressure switch controller on the bottle heater and do a motor pass to see how much a nitrous tune slows it down.
It was nice to pick up .3+ tenth and 3+ mph with most of it being after the 60ft.

Mike P
03-09-2010, 12:45 AM
Man, talk about progress! Nice work Rick!

Into the 11's now, great great set up!

wnt2gofst
03-09-2010, 05:30 AM
I have been thinking of nos for a while alomng with every other set up i been looking at. But seeing some results of bad installs, or when some thing goes wrong turns me away more then just staying NA or SC.

Nick@HSW
03-09-2010, 11:19 AM
Had some xtra nitrous stuff laying around and have some new work coming up on another G8 so decide to install a dry shot with a tune to see how it would work. Well, it worked great but it did need a tune to use. It is just a basic install, no bottle heater, not WOT switch, no window switch, no timing retard box. Setup with a "bang-button" and a small 36 jet with 600 psi bottle pressure using a WB to watch the mix....

First quick hit took about .5-.7 off my normal WB reading raising it to 13.0ish, zero spark knock. Added 5% to my MAF from 20.00 and up brought me back down to 12.5ish(could have done it on the PE chart but didn't, I trust the MAF better for enrichment). SO, the MAF did not pick up and add(or add enough) from what the numbers show on a scan(MAF numbers) and WB. Once I added more fuel, my MAF picked up on a scan showing more air flow with the better AFR. Another issue was shift, my once 6400-6500 were 6500+ and was hit the fuel shut off at shifts. It worked out good since it made for easier shifts on the trans and axles and was in fairly smooth sequence with the shifts. I left the bottle heater off since "small steps" seemed like the smart thing to do. Next time out I will bump the bottle pressure up to 950 with a pressure switch controller on the bottle heater and do a motor pass to see how much a nitrous tune slows it down.
It was nice to pick up .3+ tenth and 3+ mph with most of it being after the 60ft.

Just another option available out there...the Interface (http://www.harrisspeedworks.com/product.php?productid=213&cat=0&page=1&featured) really makes dry nitrous tuning simple with the flip of a few dip switches. Can go pre or post maf and eliminates the need to mess with perfect nozzle placement. Glad to see another dry user out there :cheers:

Nick

G8-4-Speed
03-09-2010, 05:14 PM
Just another option available out there...the Interface (http://www.harrisspeedworks.com/product.php?productid=213&cat=0&page=1&featured) really makes dry nitrous tuning simple with the flip of a few dip switches. Can go pre or post maf and eliminates the need to mess with perfect nozzle placement. Glad to see another dry user out there :cheers:

Nick

Looks like a sweet controller. I may just have to give it a try......:beer3:
It would be nice not to have a tuneup for the nitrous that would take away from the NA power. Would much rather spray dry and enrich thru the injectors. The HPTuner and WB really take a lot of guessing out of things. I can see the AFR and Knock plus it is on a button so I can do small burst WOT to test changes. That controller looks to be something I am looking for.

locrzn#92
05-19-2010, 12:50 PM
Wow, just 4 tenths and you in the 10's. Try a 150 shot, that might do it. I'm considering nos for my g8, maybe dry would be ok.

shane
05-22-2010, 11:10 AM
yea im getting ready for my wet kit... gotta figure out what im gotta do to the tune to get the tranny to shift correctly..

G8-4-Speed
05-22-2010, 05:42 PM
Three ways you can do it. One is to set your Sport mode to shift earlier. Two is to keep your rev limiter low enough that it hits it just past your shift point, it seems to shift right as it hits the rev limiter.(you can't do this with a wet kit, it will grenade your exhaust) third is to try and shift manually.
the HSW controller works fine once you switch the wires around for it to work. Only issue is the G8 computer seems to have a memory dosesn't seem to want to give consistant repeatable results.