PDA

View Full Version : WNY Pontiac Service

GeoffA
03-08-2010, 01:33 PM
Rochester to Buffalo.

Where Do you guys go for your car service? I'm looking to get my Tranny Flare fixed PIP4395E and preferably want to go to a service shop that has done it before.

My closest I wont go to anymore because they Damaged my car.

I called Cappellino but the service rep I spoke to said he had no knowledge of PIP4395E: Flare And Or Harsh 2-3 Shifts, so I said thanks I'll look elsewhere.

I still need to call Don Davis on niagara falls Blvd. Gearhead455 said his was done there before he bought the car.

And Majesticx referred me to Patrick Pontiac in Rochester.

Anyothers here that have had it done and what dealer?

Thanks

Here is the list of parts that were replaced during my flare repair... if it helps anyone...

Part #-----------------Part name- ---cost----warranty price
| 1 GM24238248 ------ RING 4.189 N 2.60 3 3.64 10.92 W |
| 1 GM24224577-------SEAL 4.226 N 4.53 1 6.34 6.34 W |
| 1 GM24237531-------SEAL 4.226 N 12.87 1 18.02 18.02 W |
| 1 GM24245720-------PLATE 4.265 N 8.58 1 12.01 12.01 W |
| 1 GM88862650-------CLEANER 8.800 N 3.41 2 4.77 9.54 W |
| 1 GM24219390-------SEAL 4.123 N 2.49 1 3.49 3.49 W |
| 1 GM24224655-------RING 4.123 N 2.54 3 3.56 10.68 W |
| 1 GM24236927-------SEAL KIT 4.005 N 16.52 1 23.13 23.13 W |
|

Just thought I would give a quick update to this issue:
If you are going in to get the 2-3 flare fixed, then I would suggest the following:
Have the dealer order the "Cover kit" #24248573. this kit includes a new pump cover and stator shaft with everything required. They will probably also order some extra seals (the seals that one would replace when taking a trans in and out). But if they want to order or have on their order receipt the part #24238248, then they are planning on simply replacing the same exact ring seals that are currently in your trans. This may fix a some of the issues or "lessen" it, but the best fix is to get the COVER kit as listed above..... the new stator shaft has different grooves in it which allows an oring to be installed under the new design ring seal. Much better setup.. (same setup in the camaros and all new 6L80's... and 6L90'd for that matter....)

Good luck!

jab336
03-09-2010, 08:04 PM
Jim Ball blows, Try West Herr in EA. They are good.

GeoffA
03-09-2010, 08:19 PM
Still trying to talk to Don Davis. I have to call their tranny man tomorrow. I left a message today but he never called me back.

norm8332
03-10-2010, 05:16 AM
If you find a good one please let us know, Mine near me hasn't been too good either.

GeoffA
03-10-2010, 06:29 AM
Dropping it off at Don Davis on Monday morning to drive with their tech.

Hopefully all goes well...

GeoffA
03-10-2010, 07:30 AM
Update for the Fix

If you have the Flare, my suggestion is to have the pump cover/stator shaft/ and seals replaced with the new oring/ring seal setup.

The part number you should see in the list of part numbers is 24248573 (Cover kit). This includes everything required for the proper replacement of the old design to the new design. IF YOU SEE 24238248, you will be getting the OLD designed ring seals that CANNOT have ORINGS under them!!

Gearhead455 said his was done there before he bought the car.

And Majesticx referred me to Patrick Pontiac in Rochester.

Gearhead455, when I called today they stated "no history of this being done" to your car.
Majesticx has failed him again. Dealer used the wrong part # ???

gearhead455
03-10-2010, 06:09 PM
I thought it was,oh well. I learned a long time ago..."If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

btw, thanks for checking on my car for me. http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h309/bluesman455/Smileys/thcartman2.gif

:shutup:

GeoffA
03-10-2010, 06:15 PM
Wasn't really checking, But when I said you referred me they looked up your info and thats when he said nothing was done.

Just a heads up, yes, if it ain't broke don't even worry about it. Hopefully it wont even happen to yours.

majesticix
03-11-2010, 04:38 AM
hey guys,

I had the TSB performed at Patrick Pontiac. I worked with Steve at the service shop. Unfortunately, the seals aren't the problem for my case anymore (at the time I didn't have the pump/stator shaft part #'s either).

My tranny clutches need to be replaced. Mike and I went for a ride @ New Era after they performed the seal replacement and he said it isn't a flare issue anymore, the damn car just doesn't want to shift into 3rd like it should. Took 2.5 seconds to shift from 2nd to 3rd on his data logger. I had to put TM back to stock position on the 2-3 shift just to get it to shift somewhat normal (it still isn't is crisp as it used to be, but at least it shifts).

Patrick gave me no issue though when presenting the PIP info for both the tranny seals and the lower control arms (which they replaced all 4 control arms). So in that regard, that is better service than what other guys on here seem to be experiencing. I've had no problems with their service department to date and they have performed everything I have asked them to do without any quibbles. Of course, when I bring my car back in for these clutches, not sure how that will go haha.

I wouldn't drive too long if your flare is bad. I had a nasty flare and that is what we think screwed up the tranny. Stupid me kept trying to replicate it to see if I could get it to consistently reproduce. Not a good idea. Car was running beautifully before then. They uploaded an old calibration file when they replaced my engine (not Patrick Pontiac, my purchasing dealer back in Syracuse) which caused the flare.

norm8332
03-11-2010, 06:21 AM
I have to get my control arms replaced, but I'm afraid to leave my car with the dealer again.

Maybe I can limit the throttle to 15% max so they can't abuse it with the tune. hmmmm. At least I won't have to worry about that then.

majesticix
03-11-2010, 07:58 AM
Yeah after my control arms were replaced, car glides on butter. Feels great. Damn knocking noise was driving me nuts.

GeoffA
03-11-2010, 08:14 AM
Keep us updated on that, because if Don Davis can't help me out, Patrick GMC will be my new service shop.

norm8332
03-11-2010, 08:16 AM
What about Mike Smith (Lockport)? That's where I bought my car. Anyone use them for service?

GeoffA
03-11-2010, 08:27 AM
What about Mike Smith (Lockport)? That's where I bought my car. Anyone use them for service?

:rofl:

They are 2 minutes away from me! I will never go back to them. They damaged my front stock wheels when doing the suspension recall and scraped up my front lip. Plus they wont do the tranny flare for me. They had my car for 27 days and did nothing to it.

That's why I'm looking for a new one.

majesticix
03-12-2010, 07:08 AM
unbelievable.

GeoffA
03-15-2010, 04:57 AM
Update-

Dropped of at Don Davis and went for a ride with the service mgr. I showed him when it would flare, and yup he noticed it too (a little flare he said but a flare non the less). So now I am waiting for a phone call for them to tell me what the tranny tech found. Hopefully it goes well.

If Not, I have a Backup

:woohoo:

On my way back home I stopped at Heinrich's Chevy to look up the cost of the part number. $242.xx (24248573 Cover kit) and possibly speak with their tranny guy. But instead I spoke with their Service Mgr. I told him my problem, showed him the TSB and said I'll never go to the Pontiac dealer down the street (Mike Smith). He said He'd be glad to help me out . I just have to let him know if Don Davis wont do it and he said he would order the parts and schedule an appointment to get it done.

It doesn't hurt to ask your local Chevy dealers to perform service on your G8. Way to step up Heinrich Chevy.

norm8332
03-15-2010, 05:50 AM
Sounds good. I bought my Monte from Heinrich. They were always good to me. Maybe I'll give them a call for the control arms. Good luck

GeoffA
03-15-2010, 02:32 PM
Well no good from Don Davis. Their tech is not certified or trained in the 6L80 so he didn't feel comfortable doing it.

So tomorrow I head back to Heinrich. and I did set up an appointment with Cappalinos just in case...

zepcom
03-16-2010, 04:12 AM
Well no good from Don Davis. Their tech is not certified or trained in the 6L80 so he didn't feel comfortable doing it.

So tomorrow I head back to Heinrich. and I did set up an appointment with Cappalinos just in case...

That sucks, man. Boooo:facepalm2:

GeoffA
03-16-2010, 07:57 AM
Stopped by Heinrich Chevy this morning and talked to the service mgr. He ordered the new cover kit for me and said we'll call and set up an appointment when it comes in.

:woohoo:

gearhead455
03-16-2010, 06:46 PM
Hope this does it.

majesticix
03-16-2010, 10:34 PM
cool...good luck!

norm8332
03-23-2010, 05:38 PM
GeoffA, how did this work out?

GeoffA
03-24-2010, 07:46 PM
GeoffA, how did this work out?

dropped off at Heinrich today, hopefully they'll tear into it tomorrow. I'll update after I get the much awaited phone call from the service advisor...

GeoffA
03-25-2010, 11:03 AM
Well I stopped by because I was out earlier and talked to the service rep. They were able to recreate the flare, but said it stopped after it warmed up and they were letting the car cool down to check it out again and see what GM has to see about it because it's considered a major repair.

Well Just got a phone call and they said they had to overnight some extra seals that weren't in the cover kit and the car should be done tomorrow. I asked out of curiosity what seals? He said he thinks tranny pan seals.

So we'll find out more tomorrow on how this all goes...

majesticix
03-25-2010, 12:56 PM
I had similar instance with the seals. They had to order up some more seals for me too since the kit did not include everything they needed. Are you getting the pump/shaft replaced? I believe there is a new design in the 2009.5 trannys.

GeoffA
03-25-2010, 01:00 PM
I had similar instance with the seals. They had to order up some more seals for me too since the kit did not include everything they needed. Are you getting the pump/shaft replaced? I believe there is a new design in the 2009.5 trannys.

The new stator? yes, it's included in the "Cover kit" #24248573.
this kit includes a new pump cover and stator shaft with everything required. They will probably also order some extra seals (the seals that one would replace when taking a trans in and out).

Belo
03-25-2010, 01:15 PM
thankfully i haven't needed any service yet. Bought my g8 from jim murphy in cheektovegas. I was a little disappointed when i went for my first free oil change at 1k miles (you know, new engine, swap to synthetic and such) and the guy was like, nah man you don't need oil yet, we're not even allowed to change it till 5k. I feel ok knowing the results of engine oil tests done by edmunds and mt, but still. If i want an oil change, change my f'n oil.

GeoffA
03-29-2010, 02:34 PM
Got mY car back today! :woohoo:

all seems good right now, got to let her cool down and test her out. I have to re-adjust my exhaust because now I getting a rattle. I looked underneath and it seems to be resting on the rear cross brace.

Let the modding resume!

majesticix
03-30-2010, 06:27 AM
sweet! Let us know if it stays that way!

norm8332
03-30-2010, 10:20 AM
Good to hear. So Heinrich did OK then? The exhaust was an avoidable mistake on their part IMO.

GeoffA
03-30-2010, 11:36 AM
Good to hear. So Heinrich did OK then? The exhaust was an avoidable mistake on their part IMO.

For the most part, but I still have the flare:(

Someone else posted that their tranny wasn't filled properly which caused it and once he had it re-filled the flare went away. Plus I have a possible leak now... pics uploading.

http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?16106-Leak-or-Excess-fluid-blown-out

majesticix
03-30-2010, 12:36 PM
just saw your post...doesn't seem right. I had no leaks after surgery. Still have the flare though? That is disappointing.

GeoffA
03-30-2010, 12:38 PM
Very disappointing right now...

polo
03-30-2010, 03:16 PM
Very disappointing right now...

Damn Geoff, I thought you finally got it fixed! I'm sorry to hear that.

GeoffA
03-30-2010, 03:18 PM
F-it, I'm good for 5 years, cause I know I wont hit 100,000 miles. Then It will get beefed UP.

majesticix
03-31-2010, 05:55 AM
my thoughts too. RPM can have at it when the time comes to man up.

GeoffA
05-17-2010, 08:27 AM
Just an Update, There is no more flare that I am experiencing anymore.

:thumbsup:

zepcom
05-18-2010, 04:45 AM
Just an Update, There is no more flare that I am experiencing anymore.

:thumbsup:

So NEP took care of what 3 dealerships were unable to fix?

Please do tell...

GeoffA
05-18-2010, 05:37 AM
No, Heinrich took care of the problem. I think the car needed to be driven a little so the fluid could get to all the gears properly. The TSB says to go through every gear for a minute, I don't know if it was done or not at the dealer when it was originally done.

zepcom
05-18-2010, 10:01 AM
Ahhh.... I gotcha. Chevy dealership to the rescue.

I thought your car went to NEP for some reason. Maybe I was thinking of something else.

GeoffA
05-18-2010, 10:29 AM
NEP for the CAM!!!!

icantdrive55
06-02-2010, 07:21 AM
I recently had my tires rotated at a Pontiac dealer in the Rochester area. After picking up the car, I checked the tire pressure readings on the DIC and it looked like the rears were indicated on the front and vice versa. OK - so they didn't reset the pressures - right? WRONG - I called the service writer to ask about having the TPMS matched after rotation. Their techs don't match the TPMS sensors after rotations. Are you kidding me? They could do everything right there including setting the correct pressures after matching the TPMS. But, NOOOOOOOOOOOO - I have to match the TPMS by letting air out of each tire for at least 8 seconds, then fill them back up. I'm surprised they actually accepted the Pontiac Maintenance Certificate in the first place.

zepcom
06-03-2010, 03:42 AM
I recently had my tires rotated at a Pontiac dealer in the Rochester area. After picking up the car, I checked the tire pressure readings on the DIC and it looked like the rears were indicated on the front and vice versa. OK - so they didn't reset the pressures - right? WRONG - I called the service writer to ask about having the TPMS matched after rotation. Their techs don't match the TPMS sensors after rotations. Are you kidding me? They could do everything right there including setting the correct pressures after matching the TPMS. But, NOOOOOOOOOOOO - I have to match the TPMS by letting air out of each tire for at least 8 seconds, then fill them back up. I'm surprised they actually accepted the Pontiac Maintenance Certificate in the first place.

Not only that, but with the TECH2 handheld device, all they need to do is type some things into a certain menu of that device, hold the TECH2 nearest the left front wheel, and voila, done. Move to each wheel in succession and TPMS is reprogrammed. I watched my guy do it, it took all of 2 minutes. It took him longer to walk to each wheel than the programming procedure itself. No letting air out of the tires when you have a TECH2.

Sorry that sucks for you, but once you do it a few times "the manual way" it gets easier.

--zepcom

GotMyG8V8
06-03-2010, 05:37 AM
Was it Patrick? They did that to me too, it's so friggin annoying, I haven't reset mine yet since my last debacle.

icantdrive55
06-03-2010, 06:09 AM
It wasn't Patrick - it was Ralph. I couldn't believe the service writer told me that. I've given them a lot of service business between the '08 Torrent and the '09 G8. Like zepcom said - it gets easier after doing it yourself a couple times. The biggest pain is letting air out of each tire for 8 seconds, then having to fill them up again - especially since I'm running them with Nitrogen.

GotMyG8V8
06-03-2010, 06:31 AM
I originally bought my car from Ralph, and went all the way out there for service because I feel that the dealership that gave me the car should get the service, but I stopped going to them a while ago because they were jackasses too.

NYG8GT
06-03-2010, 11:21 AM
Ralph blows, I hate that they're closer to me than Patrick. When I finally decide to get the trans flare in my car looked at, I think I'm gonna go to Patrick. When I first got the car and took it to Ralph for the TCM update, they said it didn't need it. Patrick scanned it and found it did need it and had no problem doing the update. I haven't been too pleased with their service dept, so Patrick will probably be getting all my warranty work from now on.

majesticix
06-21-2010, 06:22 AM
Patrick Service has been pretty good to me thus far (sales department is another matter). I will be having my tranny opening AGAIN, ugh, to try and get the cover kit installed this time. I don't think I'll bring it to Patrick though as I'm sure I'll have more of a battle having them open it up again under warranty. I do know a good chevy dealer personally that hopefully will help me out with this since GeoffA's problem is now fixed and Mike @ New Era verified for me since we basically had the same problems. I wouldn't bother with Ralph. Had a good sales guy there that I dealt with, but service is questionable, and body shop needs to be updated. (No bake booth)