PDA

View Full Version : FI question: GXP or GT?

g8gxp
03-08-2010, 08:12 AM
Maybe i just suck at using search, but i couldn't find a definitive answer to this question. Looking to eventually pick up a used g8. If my modding plans include FI of some sort, supporting mods, and standard bolt ons is there significant benefit (performance wise) to a gxp over a gt? or is the difference pretty negligible?

99-LS1-SS
03-08-2010, 08:27 AM
If you're not going to break into the engine and change the cam then the GXP would be slightly better. If you do plan on changing the came then it doesn't matter that much.

polo
03-08-2010, 08:28 AM
The GXP doesn't have the DOD hardware (smaller cam, lifters, etc), so it may be able to handle the extra power a little better than a GT. Some people believe the DOD components are a weak link that could break when adding lots of extra HP. The rear gears of the GXP are also better for performance.

Other than that, and the 6.2 liter of the GXP compared to the 6.0 of the GT, there really isn't going to be much of a difference.

wnt2gofst
03-08-2010, 08:29 AM
Well you start out with more power in the GXP already. SO doing everything you mentioned to both a GT and a GXP you will come out ahead a little HP on the GXP. The gxp also has better gears from the factory.

Mike P
03-08-2010, 08:46 AM
Maybe i just suck at using search, but i couldn't find a definitive answer to this question. Looking to eventually pick up a used g8. If my modding plans include FI of some sort, supporting mods, and standard bolt ons is there significant benefit (performance wise) to a gxp over a gt? or is the difference pretty negligible?

g8gxp:

Did someone say looking to pick up a used G8? ;)

I am going to be putting mine up for sale this week. I'm just trying to figure out a selling price.......

I'm selling because our family is moving to the United Kingdom and we are not really planning on taking the car with us.

wnt2gofst
03-08-2010, 08:49 AM
g8gxp:

I am going to be putting mine up for sale this week. I'm just trying to figure out a selling price.......

I'm selling because our family is moving to the United Kingdom and we are not really planning on taking the car with us.

WHAT!!!! MAn i wish i was looking for a G8 now. CAmmed and everything already...Fuck my life! Someone about to get a really fast G8...

g8gxp
03-08-2010, 08:52 AM
LOL. too bad, all those roundabouts would make some fun driving. Then again, there's that pesky wrong side of the road problem they got going on over there.

Mike P
03-08-2010, 09:18 AM
WHAT!!!! MAn i wish i was looking for a G8 now. CAmmed and everything already...Fuck my life! Someone about to get a really fast G8...

I know. I am emotionally attached to the car, but I think the right thing is to sell. It's been the best car I've owned.

LOL. too bad, all those roundabouts would make some fun driving. Then again, there's that pesky wrong side of the road problem they got going on over there.

Yea, driving is different there. I'll still drive something over there...... :)

travis gore
03-08-2010, 09:24 AM
buy a GT,you plan on modding anyway, the HP difference is not worth the extra $ for a GXP, unless you have to have a manual. I did not see where trans was an issue for you.

fastg8mi
03-09-2010, 05:37 AM
i just shed a tear for mike... bright side ill take your catch can and udp :) ill put it to good use

get a gt you will have more money o work with

BigV8
03-09-2010, 05:46 AM
buy a GT,you plan on modding anyway, the HP difference is not worth the extra $ for a GXP, unless you have to have a manual. I did not see where trans was an issue for you.

Yep. Get a GT its alot cheaper.

BigV8
03-09-2010, 05:48 AM
g8gxp:

You need a place to store it while your gone? I'll keep right next to my car. How long are you going to be gone?

Mike P
03-09-2010, 07:00 AM
You need a place to store it while your gone? I'll keep right next to my car. How long are you going to be gone?

BigV8:

Dude, that is super nice of you to offer. It is not totally out of the question, but I'd probably store it locally here in Michigan. But if it did stay with you, I would feel super relaxed that it would be chillin' next to a blown GXP! :)

We are moving to Wales in the United Kingdom this coming (early) May 2010, and will be there for about 3 years. We come back twice a year, it should be an adventure.

Thanks again. I gotta take some pictures of the whole car & put up a listing soon (this week)......

Thanks again! :cheers: