PDA

View Full Version : Trans shifting strange

todds87ss
10-28-2008, 03:53 PM
I have heard issues about sport mode shifts locking up in 3rd. Today, I move into sport mode and mash the fun pedal. The tranny shifts into 3rd (albiet sluggishly), then into 4th. As I slowly let up, the tranny stays in fourth. It took about 30 seconds to shift into 5th. Very delayed.

Just wondering if anyone else had this issue.:wtf:

wreckwriter
10-28-2008, 03:59 PM
Recommend you get the fluid checked as a first step. Has to be done at a dealer or knowledgeable shop unfortunately.

g8_795
10-28-2008, 04:00 PM
I have heard issues about sport mode shifts locking up in 3rd. Today, I move into sport mode and mash the fun pedal. The tranny shifts into 3rd (albiet sluggishly), then into 4th. As I slowly let up, the tranny stays in fourth. It took about 30 seconds to shift into 5th. Very delayed.

Just wondering if anyone else had this issue.:wtf:

I use to get that issue a lot. I don't really recall if I have had that happen since getting the new update from the dealer.

Circle-D
10-28-2008, 05:07 PM
Here is a document I got from a seminar about checking the fluid. I have never tried it, but sounds simple enough.

Chris

jbradsh1
10-28-2008, 05:09 PM
That's the exact same thing my trans. would do, sort of hang up in the gear usually fourth but also in third, sometimes for so long I would eventually slap it over to normal and then it would upshift right away on it's own. When I had VMS retune my original trans. tune all problems went away and haven't come back. For a street car and considering the way I drive mine, it's just perfect now. But then again, I don't use sport mode much anymore anyway, why except at the track when you need to hold third?

wreckwriter
10-28-2008, 05:13 PM
Here is a document I got from a seminar about checking the fluid. I have never tried it, but sounds simple enough.

Chris

It is, provided you have a lift and a fluid pump.

Circle-D
10-28-2008, 05:22 PM
True, sometimes I take those for granted.

Chris

wreckwriter
10-28-2008, 05:31 PM
True, sometimes I take those for granted.

Chris

I would love to take them for granted!

G8V8
10-28-2008, 06:39 PM
I have been told by a well known tuner on this board that Sport mode is geared toward road racing. It is setup to not upshift right away when you lift your foot off the throttle so you can remain in the same gear in turns. When you get back in it, sinse it didn't upshift, you don't get a downshift that might upset the balance of the car.

It has been posted here that normal mode is actually better for drag work than sport mode is.

Next time you are about to enter a curve put it in sport mode and in the curve lift a little for a short time and then roll back into it to see what it does. don't do this on the edge until you are comfortable with it and know what to expect.

I had gotten used to popping into manual mode in my GTP Comp G in curves to hold it in gear so I could modulate the gas without it shifting. The way you can go from a little understeer to a little power induced oversteer in the G8 is a gas but I don't think i would like a shift when the car is near the traction limit in a curve.

jbradsh1
10-29-2008, 12:14 AM
I have been told by a well known tuner on this board that Sport mode is geared toward road racing. It is setup to not upshift right away when you lift your foot off the throttle so you can remain in the same gear in turns. When you get back in it, sinse it didn't upshift, you don't get a downshift that might upset the balance of the car.

It has been posted here that normal mode is actually better for drag work than sport mode is.

Next time you are about to enter a curve put it in sport mode and in the curve lift a little for a short time and then roll back into it to see what it does. don't do this on the edge until you are comfortable with it and know what to expect.

I had gotten used to popping into manual mode in my GTP Comp G in curves to hold it in gear so I could modulate the gas without it shifting. The way you can go from a little understeer to a little power induced oversteer in the G8 is a gas but I don't think i would like a shift when the car is near the traction limit in a curve.

Can't believe I didn't think of that. Thanks.

MANOFSTEEL69
10-29-2008, 06:19 AM
I haven't tried normal mode while dragging yet.......I'll give that a couple of passes up at Milan this afternoon.

GTPprix
10-29-2008, 06:32 AM
Milan probably wont be open if this keeps up, we've got snow/hail/rain in spurts right now.