PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket intakes for your G8 GT

Slyther83
02-23-2010, 04:41 PM
I've read good things about Vararams, but I am wondering what aftermarket intakes would you recommend? I live in Philadelphia and we don't get large amounts of rain but am concerned with getting water in the ram air. Thoughts?

norm8332
02-23-2010, 04:45 PM
Welcome to the board.

I recommend the Roto-fab for build quality, ease of install compared to vararam, and performance is good too.

GRRRR8
02-23-2010, 04:50 PM
I like the Vararam. No issues with water intrusion. Makes more power then most and at speed beats them all.

Bhuge
02-23-2010, 04:58 PM
+1 for the Roto-Fab. Can't say anything bad about the Vararam. But I am happy with my Roto-Fab CAI.

familycaronROIDS!
02-23-2010, 05:06 PM
I like the Vararam. No issues with water intrusion. Makes more power then most and at speed beats them all.

I couldnt have said it better..

2nd to the Vararam I would go with the Rotofab its a good intake also...

wnt2gofst
02-23-2010, 05:09 PM
Im happy with my New Era OTR. gains was noticable from it. An sound is amazing.

MGM GT
02-23-2010, 05:16 PM
Makes more power then most and at speed beats them all.

Thats what they want you to believe yet it has lower dyno gains and lower logged kPa at speed (neither by much) compared to the Roto-Fab/AFE style.

I think its very close... almost within the margin of error between the Roto-Fab style and Vararam OTR style so its up to personal preference.

Just my .02 from owning the OPG, Vararam, and AFE.

BlueJacket
02-23-2010, 05:19 PM
Im happy with my New Era OTR. gains was noticable from it. An sound is amazing.

+1 I am happy with my New Era OTR also.

GRRRR8
02-23-2010, 05:20 PM
Thats what they want you to believe yet it has lower dyno gains and lower logged kPa at speed (neither by much) compared to the Roto-Fab/AFE style.

I think its very close... almost within the margin of error between the Roto-Fab style and Vararam OTR style so its up to personal preference.

Just my .02 from owning the OPG, Vararam, and AFE.

You got some bad info Bro. Roto was 95 kpa and Vararam was 101+kpa

A dyno isnt fair to the vararam due to lack of air vs. the Roto can draw air with the hood open that it can't with the hood closed.

I had 1 of the very 1st Roto-Fabs and was the one that came up with all the mods to make it better. Believe me if it was better, it would still be on my car.

Slyther83
02-23-2010, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the replies, I was leaning toward staying ram air based solely on the fact that they were also standard on other sport v8's I've owned.

GRRRR8 I assume you tuned your vararam opposed to doing the battery disconnect +relearn?

Devilish34
02-23-2010, 05:30 PM
I've heard good things about the Vararam....Someday I'll shed the stock air box and get one :)

MGM GT
02-23-2010, 05:31 PM

A dyno isnt fair to the vararam due to lack of air vs. the Roto can draw air with the hood open that it can't with the hood closed.

I had 1 of the very 1st Roto-Fabs and was the one that came up with all the mods to make it better. Believe me if it was better, it would still be on my car.

Interesting... on a stock or modded car? Was the tune adjusted?

Maybe my pick of the AFE was a good one (I thought they had better filters then what Roto used). It logs very similar to the Vararam, I could get 101 and eek out 102 like you state if I really tried with the Vararam but more common with the AFE.

But then again I wonder if the myriad of modifications and tunes I've had along the way could skew the readings...

GRRRR8
02-23-2010, 06:34 PM
Thanks for the replies, I was leaning toward staying ram air based solely on the fact that they were also standard on other sport v8's I've owned.

GRRRR8 I assume you tuned your vararam opposed to doing the battery disconnect +relearn?

That is correct. ANY air intake needs a tune to maximize performance and fuel economy.

GRRRR8
02-23-2010, 06:53 PM
Interesting... on a stock or modded car? Was the tune adjusted?

Maybe my pick of the AFE was a good one (I thought they had better filters then what Roto used). It logs very similar to the Vararam, I could get 101 and eek out 102 like you state if I really tried with the Vararam but more common with the AFE.

But then again I wonder if the myriad of modifications and tunes I've had along the way could skew the readings...

This was on a basically stock G8.

kevinm0131
02-23-2010, 07:26 PM
Vararam!

-Ray-
02-23-2010, 07:28 PM
Vararam made the most power for my G8. I had a Roto-Fab and a New era pod style intake also.

MGM GT
02-23-2010, 07:48 PM
This was on a basically stock G8.

Gotcha... I had an OPG while basically stock, Vararam with boltons, and AFE with how it is now. I guess its only natural for airflow to rise as power increases since after all its just an air pump... so the increase in flow could accentuate the intake gains so to speak.

GeoffA
02-23-2010, 07:53 PM
Roto-Fab

DetTigers
02-23-2010, 08:39 PM
Another vote for the Vararam. I just installed it last week and it only took an hour, not hard at all. I also have a Livernois tune and I am very impressed, the car is so much more fun to drive.

Monty
02-23-2010, 10:15 PM
I went with the RotoFab. They're all about the same. You just have to decide what look you like.

Punisher
02-23-2010, 10:33 PM
I vote Vararam. (not biased) I used to own the Roto-Fab but different readings, posts, threads later I decided to switch with the Vararam.

gr8lover
02-23-2010, 11:49 PM
I would say Vararam also ++++ unless you plan on doing a maggie later on!!!! :)

Rick Maddux
02-24-2010, 05:17 PM
I choose vararam. It makes sense that the faster you go the faster the air travels through the filter and.......because G8 Ray said its the better one of the three.:cheers:

dthornton8
02-24-2010, 08:23 PM
I have the vararam and it is awesome, I did the battery disconnect and relearn for now and even without doing a tune you can really feel and hear the difference, I know that a tune will only help what I have already gained with the vararam

TNTramair
02-25-2010, 05:12 AM
I've read good things about Vararams, but I am wondering what aftermarket intakes would you recommend? I live in Philadelphia and we don't get large amounts of rain but am concerned with getting water in the ram air. Thoughts?

where bouts in Philly are ya?? dont see too many G8's around here.

99-LS1-SS
02-25-2010, 05:19 AM
I have a Vararam but I'm going to have to swap it out for a Rotofab because the Vararam won't work with the Magnacharger.

95_9C1
02-25-2010, 04:01 PM
what about an ORSSOM (http://www.otrcai.com/index.cfm?PageId=7) ?

http://www.otrcai.com/images/imageModule/VE%20GenAiration%204/otr2.jpg

MGM GT
02-25-2010, 04:17 PM

Isnt that one like $700?

It's A G8!
02-25-2010, 04:48 PM

http://www.otrcai.com/images/imageModule/VE%20GenAiration%204/otr2.jpg

Where is it getting the air from? There is a rubber on the front of the hood that would block the air from doing in.

95_9C1
02-25-2010, 11:32 PM
Isnt that one like $700?

i think it's like $350 from Australia and/or Ebay ...

Where is it getting the air from? There is a rubber on the front of the hood that would block the air from doing in.

maybe, remove part of the rubber ... air flows in ...

Slyther83
02-26-2010, 02:01 PM
where bouts in Philly are ya?? dont see too many G8's around here.

Northeast, you? Headin down to Sunshine tinting on Bustleton Ave tomorrow, either goin 25 or 35%.

Slyther83
02-27-2010, 10:51 PM
Will the Vararam reduce or increase the noise from my aftermarket exhaust?

JoeSyko
02-28-2010, 12:21 AM
Will the Vararam reduce or increase the noise from my aftermarket exhaust?

Neither I think. I had the vararam before I did any exhaust mod and the engine definitely "growled" more than stock with it on. Once I got the Corsa, I hardly hear that growl now. The Corsa drowns it out at WOT.

AZG8GT
02-28-2010, 03:45 PM
I got the vararam. Worth the little extra money

Slyther83
03-01-2010, 05:29 PM
Does anyone have any experience with the RamJet? Would this be bad in a snowy season?

KEV-O
03-01-2010, 06:44 PM
Does anyone have any experience with the RamJet? Would this be bad in a snowy season?

the ramjet appears to be very similar to the vararam, but there is nothing i could find to prove that it will be good/bad in rainy/snowy weather
i was actually looking in to getting the ramjet for quite some time now

Slyther83
03-01-2010, 07:27 PM
the ramjet appears to be very similar to the vararam, but there is nothing i could find to prove that it will be good/bad in rainy/snowy weather
i was actually looking in to getting the ramjet for quite some time now

The GM Motorsport guy's post here does not instill confidence, but the performance gains this thing supposedly adds boasts it as the best intake on the market for the car.

Ken
04-10-2010, 04:16 AM
The VCM OTRCAI unit is getting very good reviews in the Aussie forums. At under A$500, probably worth considering.
http://www.vcm-suite.com.au/performance/images/ve-otr1.jpg

JoeSyko
04-10-2010, 08:26 AM
The VCM OTRCAI unit is getting very good reviews in the Aussie forums. At under A$500, probably worth considering.
http://www.vcm-suite.com.au/performance/images/ve-otr1.jpg

There's some chatter about this unit over on the G8board and I have to admit I'm considering replacing my Vararam with this unit.

http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30610

Waiting to see what kind of price they come up with once they hook up with a distributor here in the states. I wonder if VMS will have a tune for this unit?

Blackrider
04-10-2010, 10:45 AM

Ditto, I also saw more KPA over 80KPH with my Vararam.

mackerman22
04-14-2010, 06:03 AM
I spoke with the service manager at my local Pontiac dealeship yesterday and asked her about CAI's voiding the warranty on a G8. She stated that the official position from GM is that any aftermarket CAI will void the fuel system section of the warranty. Se also stated that GM Performance Parts has a CAI for the G8 that does not void the warranty. Has anyone seen this CAI? I can't find it anywhere on the internet.

Gordon Freeman
04-19-2010, 03:39 AM
Welcome to the board.

I recommend the Roto-fab for build quality, ease of install compared to vararam, and performance is good too.

With the Roto Fab can I use the holes already there or would I have to drill new ones?

Slyther83
04-19-2010, 08:31 AM
With the Roto Fab can I use the holes already there or would I have to drill new ones?

The vararam was my first intake install, it was really easy to do. Pull out a couple clips to lean the radiator and pop it in.

saltyrodz
04-19-2010, 08:52 AM
well i got stock air box yella tube cleaned out blocked front grill modified itake area for box and placed a hsrk and runs great waiting for dyno time to see results

SportRedGT
04-19-2010, 10:01 AM
+1 for Vararam. It could fit a little better but it gets the job done and provides noticeable gains even without a tune.

GXPaycheck
04-20-2010, 05:19 AM
I spoke with the service manager at my local Pontiac dealeship yesterday and asked her about CAI's voiding the warranty on a G8. She stated that the official position from GM is that any aftermarket CAI will void the fuel system section of the warranty. Se also stated that GM Performance Parts has a CAI for the G8 that does not void the warranty. Has anyone seen this CAI? I can't find it anywhere on the internet.

Ask her to get you a part number.

Slyther83
04-21-2010, 03:20 PM
Does GM Motorsports count? I know they make the Ramjet for the G8.

mackerman22
04-22-2010, 07:28 AM
Does GM Motorsports count? I know they make the Ramjet for the G8.
I called a GM Performance Parts dealership in Dallas and they said there is not a CAI available through GM PP. Very frusterating to get inconsistent answers.

mackerman22
04-23-2010, 06:56 AM
My wife works at GM and put me in contact with the Product Manager for the G8. He stated that a CAI is not available through GM Performance Parts. He also said the official wording about aftermarket parts voiding the warranty is that "there must be clear proof that the vehicle component (part) failure was a direct result of the installation of the aftermarket part". He said he has seen on a couple G8's where an aftermarket exhaust system w/ headers caused significant back pressure resulting in engine failure. He knows of two customers that needed an engine replacement and GM denied to cover the cost stating that the aftermarket exhaust system caused the failure. My problem is that I don't want to get into a position where I am arguing or potentially suing GM or a dealership to get warranty repairs simply because I wanted to squeeze a few extra horse power out of my G8.