PDA

View Full Version : Stealth Nitrous Oxide install on the G8GT...

Robert@KBXPerformance
10-26-2008, 06:28 PM
I originally didn't plan on posting this thread here but with all the questions in the nitrous how to thread I figured it might serve to help others through their nitrous projects. So here goes...

I decided to start installing the wet nitrous system for the G8 GT today. Just as many of the other nitrous systems I have designed and installed in other vehicles, this one will be a stealth install as well.

Here is the general parts list:

1) Nitrous Works Universal EFI wet nitrous system
2) FJO Racing 2 ch MINI-Progressive nitrous controller
3) NX Remote bottle opener
4) Dynotune billet aluminum bottle bracket
5) Dynotune purge

The progressive controller will mount under the dash, the switches for the nitrous system and wideband will be in the center console, and the solenoids will be mounted low in the front drivers fenderwell area. The nozzle will be bottom mounted into a drilled and tapped lug welded on the bottom of the aluminum CAI (http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=1469) that I will also be fabricating soon. As you can see in the pictures the bottle with all its accessories is mounted in the spare tire well in the trunk. Almost too sexxy to hide, but its ok.

Planning on running just a 100 shot for now.

I am waiting on a few more nitrous/fuel lines and fittings so more pictures will not come for a few more days. In the meantime I will wire the FJO progressive controller up. Nice little controller. I have used this same controller in nitrous systems on past vehicles and cannot say enough about them.

Well that's it. I will post more update pics in the next few days.

http://www.g8board.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2087&d=1223867879

http://www.g8board.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2088&d=1223867887

Robert@KBXPerformance
10-26-2008, 06:30 PM
Just a little update. I am about 1/2 through the install. I have been busy with other non-G8 related projects. I also took some time out to build the custom CAI and tune the car with HP Tuners as well. Between all that and also teaching classes the nitrous install has been on the back burner for a week or two. I plan on finishing the install up and tuning it here soon. Once I do have more updates I will post them.

Robert@KBXPerformance
11-21-2008, 03:13 PM
Update: Nitrous has been done for a while. Took longer than normal install time due to other things that took higher precedence. Will be tuning it on the 100 jets here soon. I may also take it to the track this weekend if the weather holds and I am able to tune it to my satisfaction in time.

Another reason an install like this takes a little more time than a typical install is due to having to hide ALL components in real sneaky locations but still make for a fully functional system and a stock looking engine bay. Overall there is nothing in the engine bay that leaves any kind of real telltale sign that nitrous is on this car. The bottle mounts fully hidden in the trunk as seen in the initial pictures of the thread. I will not bother posting final install pictures because it really is hidden well enough that the engine bay pictures would look like the ones that I have from the KBX CAI install. Master arm, purge, and NX remote bottle opener switches were all mounted inside the center console in a small switch box. The box itself is a little bigger than necessary but I plan to mount a few other control items in the box for other things in the future so I figure it pertinent to leave a little room to grow.

Steve
11-21-2008, 03:38 PM
Cool stuff!

GRRRR8
11-21-2008, 04:05 PM
Nice work Robert. This may be a must have for a few of us!

wreckwriter
11-21-2008, 06:30 PM
Nice Robert! With the exception of me wanting a second bottle this is pretty much the system you and I discussed, yes?

Robert@KBXPerformance
11-21-2008, 07:32 PM
Nice Robert! With the exception of me wanting a second bottle this is pretty much the system you and I discussed, yes?

More or less but with a few small tweaks. For all intents and purposes it is pretty much the same as we discussed.

wreckwriter
11-21-2008, 07:49 PM
More or less but with a few small tweaks. For all intents and purposes it is pretty much the same as we discussed.

I'm really liking the bottle bracket you used. Definitely room for 2 in there, right? I won't care so much about the stealth part under the hood but I do like the idea of putting the switches in the console. Good way of keeping things tidy if nothing else. Please do keep track of the various parts needed and any G8 specific install notes.

Robert@KBXPerformance
11-21-2008, 08:55 PM
I'm really liking the bottle bracket you used. Definitely room for 2 in there, right? I won't care so much about the stealth part under the hood but I do like the idea of putting the switches in the console. Good way of keeping things tidy if nothing else. Please do keep track of the various parts needed and any G8 specific install notes.

I am an encyclopedia of install information on many cars and various projects from custom turbo system designs, engine builds, custom part machining, and so on. I cannot even remember what my family schedule is half the time but when it comes to remembering exactly how I installed something into a vehicle it all stays pretty well put. Pro's and Con's of an engineering mind I suppose.

GRRRR8
11-22-2008, 05:33 AM
I know the feeling Robert. Cant remember hardly anything the wife says, but I can tell you how I wired or installed something 10 years ago!

wreckwriter
11-22-2008, 06:43 AM
I suppose your tracks are shut down for the winter already?

Robert@KBXPerformance
11-22-2008, 07:33 PM
I suppose your tracks are shut down for the winter already?

Nope. I will be going tomorrow to make a few passes.

Robert@KBXPerformance
11-22-2008, 07:34 PM
I street tuned it on the 100 shot today. I already had retarded the timing in the tune and have been running it that way for a few weeks now so nothing much besides dialing the AFR's in and then verifying that the timing was doing what I wanted. I might throw it on the dyno one of these weeks but the more important numbers are to be had at the track anyways.

Between the outstanding DA, the extra power provided by the nitrous, and cold street it made for a few interesting runs. Basically ALL of second gear was gone up in smoke. Manually shifted to 3rd and had to let off because the ass end was getting too squirrelly. It would have been plain dangerous without the progressive controller.

I also ended up loading a tune into my friends F-250 Powerstroke too. Nothing like gaining 150rwhp & 250rwtq from a tune alone. Those 37's of his go up in smoke so easily now. It is surprising how that heavy of a vehicle can move deceptively quick like that.

I plan to hit the dragstrip tomorrow for the season closer so we will see what this thing has in it while in both N/A and sprayed form. I have a few more mods that will be finding their way into this vehicle very soon but just didn't have time to install them today. I have a feeling that traction will become a MAJOR issue now until the DR's go on.

wreckwriter
11-22-2008, 07:55 PM
Cool! Keep us informed!

nathan600r
01-13-2009, 10:39 AM
Any new updates with this system?

Robert@KBXPerformance
01-13-2009, 08:42 PM
Any new updates with this system?

Took it to the track and absolutely blew the tires off the thing like I expected. I plan to go back with a proper tire combo but the last time I raced happened to be closing day of that track. However, since then i have relocated to the Mississippi Gulf Coast and plan to drag the car down here on one of the local track here soon. I literally am still settling in so it will be a little while before I am making many more updates on this vehicle. I do plan to go to the track here soon again whether it is with or without a set of DR's on the rear to at least see what the track prep is like here.

r33pwrd
01-13-2009, 09:06 PM
just curious what kind of times you have run? This car should be an animal with a 100 shot if you can get her going! I would think with a set if DR and the 100 shot you should be mid / deep 12's?

Robert@KBXPerformance
01-13-2009, 09:20 PM
just curious what kind of times you have run? This car should be an animal with a 100 shot if you can get her going! I would think with a set if DR and the 100 shot you should be mid / deep 12's?

The ET's it ran were nowhere close to indicative of what the car has in it with proper traction. Between horrific traction making me almost fully abort the run I still pulled a 12.80 @ close to 112 MPH. Even the trap speed is nothing to go off of because I had to fully let out of the gas to regain traction and then get back on it once I decided to just push the run out rather than fully aborting. There is allot left in this combo once the DR's make their way on there. With the current mods it has this car will see low 12's without issue.

nathanf2009
08-12-2009, 12:12 AM
I have a noob question...How does nitrous effect a stock engine? My g8 gt is my daily driver but Id like to take it to the track sometimes and I've never sprayed. Just wanting some insight on it.