PDA

View Full Version : What Would I Need to Paint This? ~Experts Help~

GT G8
02-18-2010, 09:26 PM
Now that I've removed the front Pontiac Arrowhead and it's been so kind as to leave 3 holes in it's place, I've been considering a few options.

One thought I had was to paint the entire Arrowhead the same White as the car and just re-installing it to the front bumper. Not quite sure how it might end up looking, but if it proves to be easy enough to paint, then why not.

So, for those who have some talent in the sanding/painting area. What tips or products could you recommend? I've got a Lowes, Kragen, Wal*Mart and Home Depot in the area if that helps.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t31/lugo24/IMG_7361.jpg

polo
02-18-2010, 09:32 PM
This thread had pics of the rear chrome emblems getting sanded/ painted, but now the pics aren't working.

http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=13824&highlight=overlays

If you want to keep the chrome, you could always just remove the red part from the arrow. It'd have the chrome arrow trim, and have a hollow center. There's a thread on here somewhere where that was done. I'll try to find it.

As for painting the entire thing, it wouldn't take much. First just scuff it up with some fine grit sandpaper so that the primer would stick to it. Primer it, and then paint it white.

polo
02-18-2010, 09:36 PM
Here you go:

http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=8460&highlight=modified+front

GeoffA
02-18-2010, 10:07 PM
Here you go:

http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=8460&highlight=modified+front

This is what I did to mine, cut out the middle so the blue shows...

gearhead455
02-19-2010, 03:29 AM
I like the red,it goes well with the black paint on my car.

616 of 933
02-19-2010, 03:41 AM
I am going to take mine to the body shop and have them filled along with the ones from the plate bracket

mikemaj82
02-19-2010, 02:22 PM
I painted my stock emblem completely black before I got the TSS one. I don't think I took any pictures though, I have to search my PC. It looked pretty good.

GT G8
02-19-2010, 02:44 PM
As for painting the entire thing, it wouldn't take much. First just scuff it up with some fine grit sandpaper so that the primer would stick to it. Primer it, and then paint it white.

Great thanks. Any particular primer or sandpaper you'd recommend? Or does it not matter?

I painted my stock emblem completely black before I got the TSS one.

What materials did you use? Or what steps did you take? I need a DIY, lol. Supernoob here.

blackoutgt
02-19-2010, 10:42 PM
Great thanks. Any particular primer or sandpaper you'd recommend? Or does it not matter?

I would do it in this process...
1) Sand down the parts to paint using a medium-light grit sandpaper (800 should do)
2)Clean off all dust and left over particles.
3) Prime the surface prior to painting. you can pick up a general gray primer at advanced auto/any auto store
4)AFTER the primer has dried, wet-sand the surface very gently with a fine grit sand paper (1000-1500). By wet-sand, I mean soak the sandpaper in water until its completely saturated. SAND SOFTLY!
5) Now apply the paint color of your choice. these can also be picked up at the auto store, or if you are looking to match the cars paint, go to the dealership.
6) If desired repeat step (5) for multiple coats.
7) If you would like a clear coat, apply this the same way, again multiple coats if desired.
8) After all painting is done, do a final wet-sand with an extremely fine grit sandpaper (2000). Make sure to do this LIGHTLY.
9) Using a scratch remover, I use Meguiars Scratch X, massage the compound into the painted surface...once dry of course.

What materials did you use? Or what steps did you take? I need a DIY, lol. Supernoob here.

See above

MLR
02-21-2010, 10:47 PM
See above

The only thing to add to Blackoutgt post is after the first sanding step blow the particles off with air if you have a compressor then wipe down with a grease remover for paint ( I think isopropal alcohol will work). Also buy some gloves and use them thru the whole procedure. A red scotch bright pad will work for the first sanding as well. You want to make sure you get all the nooks and cranny's sanded and no oils or grease left on the part, unless you like fish eyes or pits and eventually peeling.