PDA

View Full Version : PIP4395E: Flare And Or Harsh 2-3 Shifts

WickedMom
02-18-2010, 07:38 PM
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e164/jessika1027/bulletins/flare.jpg
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e164/jessika1027/bulletins/flare2.jpg

616 of 933
02-19-2010, 03:44 AM
Does this feel like when you step on the gas it shifts but takes a little bit? It dont feel like it revs like a slip but tach's out alittle higher

NAiLs
02-19-2010, 05:02 PM
Mine has this problem, I took it to the dealer to get fixed (I referenced this bulletin) and I still have the problem to this date. My trans problems got a bit worse, as when the trans is cooler, it will slam into 2nd gear, then flare from 2-3. The slamming into 2nd gear, all depends how much gas you give it. I had it slam so hard a few times, that I thought it was going to break.

I'm unable to get it to duplicate 100% of the time, so my dealer said bring it in when it happens more constantly. The 2 or 3 times I got it to happen w/ a Trans tech in the car, he either wasn't paying attention or said I lifted off the gas, causing the flare.... which is 100% pure BS.

travis gore
02-26-2010, 06:24 AM
mine is doing something like this. It just will not shift when it is cold. I did have this problem before my TCM tune. I guess that flash cable will be worth the extra $ spent.

when they fix this as long as the TCM is not changed I can just flash my tune back in?????

if TCM is changed then I have to read and send new TCM info to Kirk????

-Ray-
02-26-2010, 07:28 AM
Travis, your 1st tune will have a TCM file as well. You can just load it back in.

travis gore
02-26-2010, 07:34 AM
Travis, your 1st tune will have a TCM file as well. You can just load it back in.

ok, thanks

Adam
03-13-2010, 06:22 AM
I rock this issue too. I think this TSB came out beacuse of my car lol.

Tjay74
05-13-2010, 08:14 AM
Well i put my stock tune back in yesterday and the car will bark the tires with the bone stock tune. It still has the flare and the harsh shifts so I am thinking they will be pulling my transmission and replacing the seals in mine today along with the rear main seal repair.

sixt9stang
05-21-2010, 07:03 AM
Mine has this problem, I took it to the dealer to get fixed (I referenced this bulletin) and I still have the problem to this date. My trans problems got a bit worse, as when the trans is cooler, it will slam into 2nd gear, then flare from 2-3. The slamming into 2nd gear, all depends how much gas you give it. I had it slam so hard a few times, that I thought it was going to break.

I'm unable to get it to duplicate 100% of the time, so my dealer said bring it in when it happens more constantly. The 2 or 3 times I got it to happen w/ a Trans tech in the car, he either wasn't paying attention or said I lifted off the gas, causing the flare.... which is 100% pure BS.

I have the same issue with mine. The slamming into 2nd. I took it to the dealer and told them it only does it when it is cold so of course they tried to duplicate the problem when the car was warm and said there wasn't an issue.

Patrick G
05-21-2010, 08:10 AM
Mine had the flare when cold. No amount of tuning could cure it. I had the dealer replace the seals and it is 100% fixed. I love it! :)

thebeast
05-21-2010, 09:53 AM
mine shifts hard into 2nd when i apply 3/4 or half throttle. car jerks. but when i slam it to the floor, tires spin and it shifts somewhat normal?
should i say something? or wait till something breaks. its all covered

Tjay74
05-22-2010, 08:37 PM
That is the same thing mine did with the failing seals. After the TSB is shifted like butter until I reworked my HP Tuners tune and now it shifts like it should.

Blkg8gt
05-31-2010, 07:43 AM
none of you guys had problems with them replacing them with your tune right? I mean im going to put mine to stock at take it in but no issues im guess, and about how long does it take them. I dont get the 2-3 flare but when I go to drive from park or reverse it jerks quite a bit and think that it need to be replaced.

stryker g8gt
06-17-2010, 06:09 AM
My GM rep is fighting me, becuase of aftermarket TC and TCM tune...... They already new I had these items.........

GeoffA
06-17-2010, 12:24 PM
My GM rep is fighting me, becuase of aftermarket TC and TCM tune...... They already new I had these items.........

My rep did also, but I had the stock files put in and went to the chevy dealer across the street :)

AVIDMOTION
07-16-2010, 08:19 AM
Patrick G, do you have a copy of the work list from getting the flare fixed? If so any way to post it? I have the flare pretty bad in winter, less so in summer, but I want my dealer to see the fix, feel the fix, be the fix....

sixt9stang
10-20-2010, 08:45 AM
How much have the dealers charged you guys to have this done?

WickedMom
10-20-2010, 10:02 AM
This repair should be covered under your powertrain 5year 100k warranty.

KEV-O
10-20-2010, 10:23 AM
mine seems to be slamming in to 2nd gear a lot lately...i do not have the 2-3 flare at all like i have read/heard about
but when coasting in sport sitting in traffic going a few mph(6-8)it slams in to 2nd really hard
this happens no matter the temp. of the car or weather

sixt9stang
10-20-2010, 11:19 AM
This repair should be covered under your powertrain 5year 100k warranty.

That is sweet! Now how do I convince the dealer that it is doing it since the first time I brought it in they tested it when it was warm and it did not do it.

GeoffA
10-20-2010, 01:54 PM
Take it to them when it's cold, leave it overnight at the dealer and meet them in the morning. Tranny temp can't be over 104*.

The Chevy dealer charged me $300 for removal and put back on my aftermarket headers. Which was confirmed by Charlie that they are tight and the passenger side has to come off if not stock.

09gtt
10-27-2010, 02:30 PM
Any idea how much this will cost if they don't warranty it because of aftermarket converter and tune?

GeoffA
10-27-2010, 02:32 PM
The cover kit is $200 if I remember correctly. then add labor which will kill the price.

screw991le
10-27-2010, 04:50 PM
I get the delay in the P-R and R-P and a slight flare on the 2-3 shift. I am stock (exhaust) this is covered under the 5/60 powertrain, right?

WickedMom
10-27-2010, 06:28 PM
I get the delay in the P-R and R-P and a slight flare on the 2-3 shift. I am stock (exhaust) this is covered under the 5/60 powertrain, right?

5 year 100k warranty... Yup :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

texn884
11-05-2010, 06:19 AM
Well we might have great news here. I had LSX Performance ie Patrick G load a new tune for my transmission becasue mine was having the flare issue a lot. After they installed my Kooks Headers on Wednesday 11-3-10 Patrick did a new tune and transmission tun with the latest updates and as of now the flare is gone. I put on over 500 miles Thursday and not one flare.

Lots of highway driving and then hitting some city and then hitting rush hour traffic in San Antonio and the car performed perfect. You may want to contact Patrick about this latest update.

Scott McDonald
11-05-2010, 07:50 AM
I haven't encountered any harsh shifts but on several occasions in the past month or so I've noticed that at low speeds, i.e. no more than 35mph, if I step on the go pedal she stumbles. It doesn't happen all the time. I'm at a loss. Anybody have any ideas/thoughts?

texn884
11-05-2010, 08:13 AM
Mostly what mine was doing. Always at slower speeds and stop and go traffic. After Patrick put the new transmission tune it is perfect but will keep eveyone updated.

norm8332
11-05-2010, 09:27 AM
I haven't encountered any harsh shifts but on several occasions in the past month or so I've noticed that at low speeds, i.e. no more than 35mph, if I step on the go pedal she stumbles. It doesn't happen all the time. I'm at a loss. Anybody have any ideas/thoughts?

It's the delay when the DOD kicks off I bet.

texn884
11-05-2010, 10:09 AM
I don't think so becasue it does it shifting from 2-3 and sometimes 3-4 with a light speed up in traffic. So DOD I don't think would be kicking in at that slow of speed.

Seattle09GT
11-05-2010, 10:50 AM
So when shifting from park, or from reverse to drive (say after backing out of the driveway), would this feel like someone is stepping on the gas as you shift - even though your foot is on the brake. Like you just slammed the car into gear?

texn884
11-05-2010, 02:40 PM
Hi Seattle, no it is when the car shifts from 2-3 it revs up before going into gear and mine was doing sometimes 3-4 but when it was at normal temps it would not do it. Most of the time it occurs when cold or when the car has sat for a while and cooled down some. In stop and go traffic it can be a real pain in the ass because you think this can't be good for my transmission.

But after Patrick did a up grade tune it has gone away for now.

Has yours done it any?

WickedMom
11-05-2010, 03:14 PM
Actually the bulletin DOES refer to a harsh shift from P to D

Sent from my amazing and awesome iPhone4 using the great Tapatalk

Scott McDonald
11-06-2010, 07:29 PM
Mostly what mine was doing. Always at slower speeds and stop and go traffic. After Patrick put the new transmission tune it is perfect but will keep eveyone updated.

texn - exactly my issue. Matter of fact it even happened once pulling out of the driveway so maybe even a 1-2 shift at that point. Besides the obvious uncool factor, is it something that I need to have the stealership look at? Or is it like I've read that these trannys are lazy to shift?

WickedMom - I thought it was a 5/50 warranty as a result of the Gov't trying to convince folks to start buying cars again?

WickedMom
11-06-2010, 07:46 PM
WickedMom - I thought it was a 5/50 warranty as a result of the Gov't trying to convince folks to start buying cars again?

All 2007 and newer GM cars have a 5 year 100k mile powertrain warranty.

GeoffA
11-07-2010, 05:05 AM
texn - exactly my issue. Matter of fact it even happened once pulling out of the driveway so maybe even a 1-2 shift at that point. Besides the obvious uncool factor, is it something that I need to have the stealership look at? Or is it like I've read that these trannys are lazy to shift?

Mine had a 1-2 shift flare. took it to a dealer and they wouldn't touch it cause it wasn't stated in the TSB...
One day it just went away (???) and started to flare on the 2-3 shift. Found a chevy dealer to do the cover kit.

texn884
11-07-2010, 07:13 PM
So far the tune Patrick G. did for me when I had them install my Kooks Headers it is gone away and the transmission shifts with authority then before.

Scott McDonald
11-22-2010, 06:08 PM
All 2007 and newer GM cars have a 5 year 100k mile powertrain warranty.

Guess that is what I get for thinking :) Thanks.

texn884
11-22-2010, 07:32 PM
So far for a update the flare is gone since the transmission from Patrick G. The car kicks ass.

AVIDMOTION
11-23-2010, 02:35 AM
Does the "5 year 100k mile powertrain warranty" cover the transmission too?

-Ray-
11-23-2010, 02:50 AM
Does the "5 year 100k mile powertrain warranty" cover the transmission too?

Yes.

Dagoon
11-23-2010, 08:41 AM
Just droped off my car at the dealer for this issue, & rear main seal leak. Is there any other offical papers besides that PIP Paper? I wanna send my dealer all the info to set them in the right direction

texn884
12-01-2010, 08:49 PM
Another update on the fix Patrick G did to correct my transmission flare. So far it has been PERFECT. Shifts strong and perfect.

Dagoon
12-02-2010, 05:04 AM
Got the car back and still same issue. Not sure if the tech put the seals in the correct position or not since they aall have to be put in the same direction. and they flushed my system so yay, but i wish that kick was gone

jeppsG8
12-02-2010, 05:35 PM
My parts are finally on order. Dealer agreed to fix it so I hope this takes care of the horrible shifting behavior. Will take a couple weeks before it's done but I will report back.

AVIDMOTION
12-02-2010, 07:59 PM
What parts, what are they going to do?

jeppsG8
12-02-2010, 08:58 PM
What parts, what are they going to do?

The service order said "rings". I'm assuming it is the Clutch Fluid Seal Rings called out in the TSB. I will have to get the part number from the paperwork but don't have it with me.

jeppsG8
12-17-2010, 03:29 PM
Ok. Picked up the car an hour ago. Better part of 3 days to fix so ok. But now it shifts really, really bad. 2-3, 3-4, 4-5, all horrible. I went back to the dealer and explanation was that it will take some time to settle down because they had to relearn the tune. They said to give it a few days. So my question is should this be right? Can I put my tune back on or do I need a new base file, or is it F'd?

Chooch
12-18-2010, 07:40 AM
You know, I have the hanging delayed shift from 1-2 and a harsh 2-3 and this keeps scaring me to have this done :( Has anyone had this GM fix that "fixed" the issue.....

jeppsG8
12-18-2010, 08:02 AM
So I've put about 50 miles on since getting it back and I have to say that it is much better. I can say that it is fixed. The flare is gone and all shifts are consistent in the way they feel and in all 3 modes. I will give it a week or so then put the tune in to get the shifts shortened and the power back.

If you are having this issue, I would recommend getting it fixed.

gr8lover
12-18-2010, 12:00 PM
You know, I have the hanging delayed shift from 1-2 and a harsh 2-3 and this keeps scaring me to have this done :( Has anyone had this GM fix that "fixed" the issue.....

i had it done and it fixed mine... but I had them fix and replace the pump cover assembly and put the new designed seals in.... the orientation thing is a crock in my opinion... it will fix it for so long if it fixes it at all.... the orientation thing is just the seals orientatied so that the seal mold tabs from the machine are all facing the same way.... the real fix., is to have them replace the stator shaft/pump cover and use the orings under the ring seal..... they cant tell me we spent millions of dollars to implement the fix into the plants and that it was not required? also cant tell me a ring seal by itself is as good as a ring seal with orings under it... i would push for them to do the cover kit with the new orings and seals... if the orientation crap doesnt fix it, then force them to go further.... dont settle.... cause there is a fix out there.... and a bunch of guys had it done other than me...

screw991le
12-18-2010, 05:34 PM
This and the lifter issue has me horrified to have them fix it. They can't even rotate my tires correctly.

pistonbone
12-18-2010, 09:13 PM
I got this done last month. They had the shop foreman take it home to see if it would do it in the morning which I was told it did however I doubt it since I couldn't get it to flare without a tune. But it was the second time it was at the dealership for this, the first time they retuned it which didn't work for obvious reasons (VMS), the tech left a bulletin in my car about the hesitation which I hadn't complained about. I found it and then printed out this bulletin and attached it to my steering wheel when I dropped it off. Only then did it get fixed.

99blackgagt
01-13-2011, 07:30 AM
Travis Gore, i sent you a PM, i need your help

travis gore
01-13-2011, 08:22 AM
Travis Gore, i sent you a PM, i need your help

pm sent back

laserred
09-30-2011, 04:28 AM
mine is doing something like this. It just will not shift when it is cold. I did have this problem before my TCM tune. I guess that flash cable will be worth the extra $ spent.

when they fix this as long as the TCM is not changed I can just flash my tune back in?????

if TCM is changed then I have to read and send new TCM info to Kirk????

Travis.... did Skillman do your repair for this? I was trying to find the phone number and I saw there are like 17 different Ray Skillman dealerships in the greater Indy area... which one did I need?

nifong08iom
04-18-2012, 05:24 AM
I had this done at Ray Skillman, just FYI, and the car still lurches forward when put into drive. Also lurches backward a little when put into reverse. If i let the engine come up to normal temp, the issue goes away. Still shifts a little "different?" or "harder" from 2 to 3. I have learned to live with it. They said they replaced the O rings and seals, but the car acts the exact same to me. It's really not bad, but it's definitely not perfect...

laserred
04-23-2012, 06:49 AM
I had this done at Ray Skillman, just FYI, and the car still lurches forward when put into drive. Also lurches backward a little when put into reverse. If i let the engine come up to normal temp, the issue goes away. Still shifts a little "different?" or "harder" from 2 to 3. I have learned to live with it. They said they replaced the O rings and seals, but the car acts the exact same to me. It's really not bad, but it's definitely not perfect...

Take it back.... I took mine in to Jamey at Skillman with no prior service for this PIP, and told them I read about the new procedure that called for replacing the entire front pump assembly. They never batted an eye, did the whole pump job and even gave me a 600-mile-new Regal turbo for the three days.

Make sure you talk to Jamey. He's a former G8 GT owner as well, and the service manager. You want Skillman Southside on 31.

travis gore
04-23-2012, 02:59 PM

Just call Jamie and take it back

Sent from the iPhone 4S

travis gore
04-23-2012, 03:04 PM
Travis.... did Skillman do your repair for this? I was trying to find the phone number and I saw there are like 17 different Ray Skillman dealerships in the greater Indy area... which one did I need?

No I never did take it in. Mine has only done this a couple of times. Only after sitting outside below freezing while at work. Once the car warmed up it was fine

Sent from the iPhone 4S

Torqued
05-21-2012, 04:06 PM
I have over 65,000 on my car and the 2/3 shift flare has become more frequent. I took it to the dealership and they said there was not a issue. One thing they looked for that I haven't read in the threads related to this issue are codes. The tech said slippage codes would have been registered if there was an issue. Should codes be registered?

Thanks

Torqued
08-29-2012, 05:04 AM
So its 3 months later and I am back at the dealership. This time it is for the P0700 and P1825 codes. They acknowledge the solenoid is bad and will replace it. I still have the symptoms of the PIP4395E: Flare And Or Harsh 2-3 Shifts. To me it makes sense to replace the o-rings or perform the repairs under this TSB at this time too. My question is would the tech be disassembling the parts that have the o-rings while replacing the solenoids?

Thanks.

scorpion
08-29-2012, 05:47 AM
i have a question.....im running amsoil in trans and engine. that doesnt void warranty does it? and i know they drop the pan in doing this repair will the dealership be ok with me giving them amsoil to put back in? and i def have that slam into park and in reverse. but when that slam happens there is another noise as well. have no idea what it is.
now will a trans cooler help with this slam/slip issue or is it a straight up repair? and if i bring this to the dealership can they deny me and pretty much tell me to go f myself?

GM Customer Service
08-29-2012, 08:20 AM
i have a question.....im running amsoil in trans and engine. that doesnt void warranty does it? and i know they drop the pan in doing this repair will the dealership be ok with me giving them amsoil to put back in? and i def have that slam into park and in reverse. but when that slam happens there is another noise as well. have no idea what it is.
now will a trans cooler help with this slam/slip issue or is it a straight up repair? and if i bring this to the dealership can they deny me and pretty much tell me to go f myself?

Scorpion,

I recommend calling the dealer to find out if the amsoil will void your warranty. If you would like I can call them for you. Please send me the following information first and last name, address, VIN, mileage and current dealer.

Thank you,

Tina
GM Customer Service

-Ray-
08-29-2012, 09:15 AM

It depends on who you talk to. If you read the warranty manual it says use of anything other than dex VI could void the warranty.
I haven't seen anything that said use of amsoil improved the quality of the shifts or longevity over the GM Dex VI.
Are you still on the stock converter?

-Ray-
08-29-2012, 09:20 AM
So its 3 months later and I am back at the dealership. This time it is for the P0700 and P1825 codes. They acknowledge the solenoid is bad and will replace it. I still have the symptoms of the PIP4395E: Flare And Or Harsh 2-3 Shifts. To me it makes sense to replace the o-rings or perform the repairs under this TSB at this time too. My question is would the tech be disassembling the parts that have the o-rings while replacing the solenoids?

Thanks.

Print out the TSB found on this web site and talk very nice to the service writer. If the response isn't what you want, ask nicely foe the service manager.
I have two dealerships here in Indiana that will perform warranty service on my G8 and it's one of the most heavily modded car here.

Torqued
08-29-2012, 10:32 AM
Print out the TSB found on this web site and talk very nice to the service writer. If the response isn't what you want, ask nicely foe the service manager.
I have two dealerships here in Indiana that will perform warranty service on my G8 and it's one of the most heavily modded car here.

They repaired the solenoid only. I am surprised how quickly the work was done. From the time I dropped off the car till being on the road was about 90 minutes. It must have been in a very easy to reach area and didn't require much dis-assembly.

scorpion
08-29-2012, 12:24 PM
G8 Ray,
yes im still on my stock tc. my dad is an amsoil dealer so i get the stuff like dirt cheap. ive witnesed with my eyes what amsoil can do. im a firm believer. but i still have the issue that everyone else is having on stock oil. so in theory it cant be an oil issue. what im trying to figure out without blowing my cover so to speak lol if i tell the dealer that i have amsoil with they tell me to beat feet. i mean amsoil is an synthetic oil so its not like im not trying to take care of what i have. ive been searching for an engine and trans cooler but really only get universal stuff right now or i find the trans cooler and its suppose to bolt right in the same spot as the engine oil cooler. i just want my car to be 100% all the time every time.