DarkPhoenix
02-18-2010, 05:02 PM
Brand: Pace Performance GXP Brake kit
GXP Brembo Calipers
GXP 14" Rotors
OEM Brembo brake pads
Russell SS brake lines
Price: $1000 Plus Shipping
Purchased From: (URL) http://paceperformance.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=252986

Installation: (Use easy, moderate, involved, or difficult) Easy, had the rotors, calipers, and SS hoses installed at Hyatt Pontiac Buick GMC. They have a great service department and are mod friendly.

Installation Time: Install time was 4 hours, seems about right.

Quality of Part: (rate 1-10) 10, The GXP Brembo calipers rotors look so much better than the stock GT ones. The calipers match the Maverick Silver paint on the car and look great. Once I get them broken in, I plan to paint the centers of the rotors black on both the front and rear brakes.

Product Performance: (rate 1-10) 10, Although I have not completely broken the brakes in yet, I can feel an improvment in braking power. I cant wait till they are are completely broken in, I am pleased with their performance.

Would you Recommend to Others: Yes, the only catch is to make sure your wheels will clear the calipers.

Any Other Comments: I have a set of CTS-V wheels, so they give the calipers plenty of space. All of you GXP guys out there got some good braking from day one, this kit greatly improved brake feel and performance. I'll try to post some pics this weekend. Thanks Greg for answering all of my questions and helping my decide on this great product
:cheers:

bowtiefan
02-18-2010, 05:06 PM
Sounds nice! Do you know if they will fit with the GT's stock 18 and 19" wheels? Thought that maybe there are some being made now with the GT wheel clearance issue in mind.

DarkPhoenix
02-18-2010, 05:11 PM
No, the caliper will contact the spokes of the GT's 18" and 19" wheels.
Both the GXP and CTS-V wheels will work, plus some aftermarket that ca be found at tirerack.com

bowtiefan
02-18-2010, 05:16 PM
Thanks--that's what I thought, but hoped that they may have been reconfigured to work with these rims. Maybe someone will come up with a solution in the future!

GT G8
02-18-2010, 09:07 PM
I'll be picking up a set from Pace. Thanks for the write-up.

polo
02-18-2010, 09:16 PM
May I ask, what was your main reason for buying these? Do you race and need the better brakes? or was it more for looks?

Mr louis
02-18-2010, 09:29 PM
I like the looks of the GXP brakes.

G8V8
02-19-2010, 05:19 AM
I was the test-mule for the PACE kit. Everything reorted above is the same as my observations. I installed mine and it was a very easy process.

You must make sure you have GXP compatable wheels for these to fit. Spoke clearance is the problem, not diameter.

The stock GM pads (made by Ferrodo) really dust a lot. I was given a set of EBC pads to evaluate in the GXP calipers and as soon as the weather gets better I will install them and report on how they work.

Greg@PacePerformance
02-19-2010, 06:42 AM
For anyone interested in wheel fitment. I made a template up a few months ago for this kit. Just make sure you print it to scale.
G8 GXP Brake Template (http://PacePerformance.com/paceperformance/pdf/gxptemplate.pdf)
Thanks for the review.

DarkPhoenix
02-19-2010, 07:14 AM
May I ask, what was your main reason for buying these? Do you race and need the better brakes? or was it more for looks?

I do not race, but since the car weighs 2 tons it could definitely use a little more brake force. I almost went with the cts-v brake kit pace has, so I would have matching calipers front and rear, but then I would not have had an e-brake. The GXP calipers do look great.
BlackBerry9630/4.7.1.57 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104

StrykersG8
02-19-2010, 09:16 AM
I thought I read somewhere that in a 60-0 brake test the GT stopped a foot shorter.. I know its not much but maybe its just the SS brake lines that make the braking feel better?

r33pwrd
02-19-2010, 10:38 AM
I thought I read somewhere that in a 60-0 brake test the GT stopped a foot shorter.. I know its not much but maybe its just the SS brake lines that make the braking feel better?

it just may but the bigger thicker rotrs on the GXP should hold up much better. Where I live im on top of a hill and my GT rotors are already pulsing!

GotMyG8V8
02-19-2010, 10:50 AM
Good review. I might get some new wheels come this summer with new tires. Maybe someone will have some GXP wheels available cheap!

ETIDMotorsports
02-20-2010, 12:40 AM
I do not race, but since the car weighs 2 tons it could definitely use a little more brake force. I almost went with the cts-v brake kit pace has, so I would have matching calipers front and rear, but then I would not have had an e-brake. The GXP calipers do look great.

The rears still have an e-brake correct?

kennyk
02-20-2010, 03:53 AM

What do you mean by "I almost went with the cts-v brake kit".....will this set up fit the G8 stock wheels?

DarkPhoenix
02-20-2010, 04:25 AM
The rears still have an e-brake correct?

Yes, the GXP brake kit only replaces the front calipers and rotors. The rear calipers and rotors are the same on the GT and GXP. So, the only change to the rear was the SS brake hoses.

What do you mean by "I almost went with the cts-v brake kit".....will this set up fit the G8 stock wheels?

No, the CTS-V brake kit will not fit the front stock GT wheels. Looking at Pace's site, the rears will fit with the GT 19" wheels. It is more expensive than the GXP kit, since you are doing the fronts and rears. If there was a way to keep the e-brake I would have done it for the added wow factor of matching calipers front and rear. Here are the links:

http://paceperformance.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=265055

http://paceperformance.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=264804

I'll take some pics later today once I get a chance to give her a wash.

G8V8
02-20-2010, 05:37 AM
From what I read in the pace forum below, doing the rear conversion to the Brembos (which the GXP does NOT have, BTW) will involve replacing the e-brake pieces. It may also involve replacing the hubs and axles. Do some research in the PACE folder and contact Greg for the latest details. My information my be old but at one time, these were the concerns.

DarkPhoenix
02-20-2010, 03:35 PM
Only bad thing is, I saved one of my 19" GT wheels as a full size spare. Now with these brakes, if I got a flat up front, the spare would not fit. Guess I could move a rear wheel up front and put the spare on the rear, if the wider rear wheel would fit...

johnbell2
02-20-2010, 04:32 PM
"The only other upgrade for the track were Hawk brakes and DOT 4 fluid."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9CqlzPdKGA

DarkPhoenix
02-27-2010, 07:26 AM
bump, for pic added :)