PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Built Their Own Muffler???

Thrasher
02-15-2010, 09:18 PM
Trying to figure out my weekend plan to fight off boredom while working out of town and just thought about how easy it would be to build a set of chambered mufflers from scratch. Any one ever make one?

-Ray-
02-16-2010, 04:31 AM
You mean actually build a muffler?
I've built a set, but not the actual muffler.

Thrasher
02-16-2010, 07:04 AM
Yea, the actual mufflers. I remember my auto shop/welding teacher in high school building them and an off-road racing team I used to hang out with built theirs. They built their own shocks too. I know there's more to it, but it's basically a steel box with chambers and baffles, right? Thought it might be kind cool and I could somehow incorporate a Helmholtz chamber.

-Ray-
02-16-2010, 08:12 AM
No, I haven't done that.

Thrasher
02-16-2010, 05:06 PM
Well, there might be a new DIY tutorial real shortly. Just need to price out the sheet metal first, with my luck it’ll cost more and sound like shit. If it’s the same or less than a set of mufflers it’s time to start welding. I’ll post up plenty of pics and a sound clip or two.

4doorfast
02-16-2010, 08:41 PM
i ve done this already with the helmhortz resonator. if your going to use the resonator you dont need the muffler. go straight pipes. i wish i had pics of my setup still. i think i may have posted them in the exhaust section.

4doorfast
02-16-2010, 08:45 PM
found the thread. heres the link.
http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=10691&highlight=custom+mufflers&page=2
scroll down and theres 3 pictures.

Thrasher
02-17-2010, 04:32 AM
I thought about gutting the stock mufflers, but I want to keep the stock axelbacks. I'm talking about building chambered style mufflers from scratch.

BigRed585Lbs
02-17-2010, 05:29 AM
The REAL success in modding comes, beside the fact that you've spent WAY too much money and it still sounds like *rap, when you can get someone else to try it, or buy it!

Ebuy is built on this.

Fatdaddy
02-17-2010, 03:18 PM
Not yet. Working on design right now.

Thrasher
02-17-2010, 04:39 PM
Not yet. Working on design right now.

Cool, I'm not the only one with a welder and waaaaaay too much time on my hands. What style muffler you thinkin and how big do you think it can be? I didn't think of this until I was already on the road and won't be home to measure for a couple of weeks.

Fatdaddy
02-17-2010, 06:35 PM
My son is a physicist and he is designing it. It will be a captured helmholtz resonator tuned to eliminate the specific frequencies where we get drone. Initially I told him that I don't want to dampen anything except those freq's. He thinks it may be too loud. We shall see. At any rate, once he gives me the drawings, I have to fab it up. I'm in no hurry.

Thrasher
02-17-2010, 06:55 PM
I'm trying to figure out the same thing in a chambered style :uhm: without the luxury of a physicist on my side. You lucky SOB! Good luck and post up how it works out.

69project
02-17-2010, 08:16 PM
Why don't you get a chambered exhaust for 1st Gen Camaro and mod it to fit? I think even the Vette's from the 60's had a chambered exhaust as an option. They are loud but cool. They are a bit pricey but might save you some time and you don't need a physicist to do your designing...

Thrasher
02-18-2010, 04:19 AM
Anyone can buy a set and fab up an exhaust. I wanted to do it for fun and I'm the type of guy who likes to do stuff other people wouldn't or can't. The whole "I made that" is real cool to me. If they sound horrible I'll toss em...

BigRed585Lbs
03-12-2010, 04:41 AM
Well............how did they do? Another dumpster donation? Success? Don't want to talk about it? Let us know the rest of the story.

norm8332
03-12-2010, 05:05 AM
Well............how did they do? Another dumpster donation? Success? Don't want to talk about it? Let us know the rest of the story.

http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=14869

Thrasher
03-12-2010, 06:45 AM

Sorry, missed this.