PDA

View Full Version : Rear Mounted Back-up Camera

JayCo59
02-11-2010, 06:43 PM
Has anyone added a back-up camera to the Aux 2 input for video while backing up. I know there's a 3 MPH limit to the Aux 2 video that limits the usefulness but for slow backing up it should be ok. I'm thinking of adding in this Boyo unit. My ultimate goal is to add in a remote camera and a DVD player for when I'm parked.

Here's a link to the Boyo Wireless camera and receiver, it looks Promising to me...
http://www.amazon.com/Boyo-VTX420-License-Camera-Receiver/dp/B0013NVNHC

Any Thoughts?
Thx,
Jay

BlueJacket
02-11-2010, 07:06 PM
I have a wired one, I wired it up to the reverse lights so that it only comes on when the car is in reverse then I just had to route the output wire to the head unit.

TCorzett
02-11-2010, 09:26 PM
I have a wired one as well... I don't really know what the benefits of a wireless system would be, as running a wire from the trunk to the glovebox isn't very hard (and is $50 cheaper). I used the back-up camera for several weeks without activating the VIM (I have the JHP auto reverse switch) and it was OK... but 2.5mph is slow, even while backing-up.

-Todd...

BlueJacket
02-12-2010, 05:19 AM
I have a wired one as well... I don't really know what the benefits of a wireless system would be, as running a wire from the trunk to the glovebox isn't very hard (and is $50 cheaper). I used the back-up camera for several weeks without activating the VIM (I have the JHP auto reverse switch) and it was OK... but 2.5mph is slow, even while backing-up.

-Todd...

Yeah its useless for backing up. I only use it to quickly check behind me before backing up.

jnak
02-12-2010, 06:17 AM
I have a wired one, I wired it up to the reverse lights so that it only comes on when the car is in reverse then I just had to route the output wire to the head unit.

I did this too. Plus the VIM, so it works all the time.

JayCo59
02-12-2010, 06:25 AM

-Todd...

I have done some of my own tests to determine when the video cuts-out with speed (in reverse) and it does cut-out at a very slow speed. Basically anything faster then a (warmed-up) idle speed makes the video revert to the Blocked out display. That's a bit disappointing.

The point of the wireless was to allow for an easier installation by not having to run wires from the trunk to the front glove box.

Todd, can you give some detail on how easy it was to run the wire up from the trunk I'm sure everyone would appreciate the info.

Also one of the features of the wireless unit that I'm thinking about getting is that it has a second set of video\audio inputs that will be active when the remote camera is not powered (i.e. when you shift out of reverse). I would use this for my (future) DVD player mounted in the Glove compartment.

Thx,
Jay

BigV8
02-12-2010, 07:09 AM
Yeah its useless for backing up. I only use it to quickly check behind me before backing up.

Do they sell an item that defeats the speed sensor?

BlueJacket
02-12-2010, 07:16 AM
Do they sell an item that defeats the speed sensor?

Its call a VIM. Stupid JHP sells an over price unit that will. But if you hold out there should be a cheaper version coming.

TCorzett
02-12-2010, 11:22 AM
The point of the wireless was to allow for an easier installation by not having to run wires from the trunk to the front glove box.

Todd, can you give some detail on how easy it was to run the wire up from the trunk I'm sure everyone would appreciate the info.
The most difficult part (and it's not hard) of running wires is getting power to the camera and the video signals out of the camera into the car (like through the trunk lid). Wired or wireless you are going to have this issue. There are several plastic plugs in the trunk lid over the license plate... just remove the plug and, if needed, enlarge one of the holes (use a rubber grommet to protect the wires).

Once inside the trunk just run the wire down the trunk hinge, behind the side-paneling in the trunk, through the tunnel (middle of the back seat), under the back seat, and up the side of the car (under the door sills). A single video cable is fairly easy just to slip under the trim pieces without removing anything. Removing the carpet side panels in the trunk is simple (just be gentile with the plastic pins). For the cable I just purchased a long stereo (Red/White) RCA cable from Radio Shack and split it into two cables (installing one of them).

Also one of the features of the wireless unit that I'm thinking about getting is that it has a second set of video\audio inputs that will be active when the remote camera is not powered (i.e. when you shift out of reverse). I would use this for my (future) DVD player mounted in the Glove compartment
Without the auto reversing switch (I have the JHP one, and I don't know of another solution that is plug-n-play) you will have to manually turn the radio to the AUX input to see the camera... then back to whatever audio source you are interested in.

One of the nice things with the JHP auto-reversing system w/PnP video+audio cables is that it allows for the integration of a DVD player (or any other video source) just like you describe. When you put the car in reverse the switch automatically switches the radio from whatever source it is on (radio, XM, etc.) to the back-up camera... then back to that source when you are out of reverse. You can also press the AUX button on the radio to switch to the 2nd source of audio/video (ie. DVD player). I have my iPod connected in this way.

Its call a VIM. Stupid JHP sells an over price unit that will. But if you hold out there should be a cheaper version coming.
There is also a group buy going on now for $40 off. The exchange rate doesn't help atm, but if you want to have the auto-reversing VIM now... it's the only game in town.

-Todd...

BlueJacket
02-12-2010, 11:52 AM
There is also a group buy going on now for $40 off. The exchange rate doesn't help atm, but if you want to have the auto-reversing VIM now... it's the only game in town.

-Todd...

Exchange rate has very little to do with the cost of their over priced unit. They are the only ones in NA (for now) with them so they can change what ever they want. Once they get some competition their price will drop just like every other product they sell that someone else also sells. Their sells strategy is to price gouge if there is no competition and once there is competition they lower their prices and bash the person selling the same item.

Wag 42
02-12-2010, 02:38 PM
Has anyone added a back-up camera to the Aux 2 input for video while backing up. I know there's a 3 MPH limit to the Aux 2 video that limits the usefulness but for slow backing up it should be ok. I'm thinking of adding in this Boyo unit. My ultimate goal is to add in a remote camera and a DVD player for when I'm parked.

Here's a link to the Boyo Wireless camera and receiver, it looks Promising to me...
http://www.amazon.com/Boyo-VTX420-License-Camera-Receiver/dp/B0013NVNHC

Any Thoughts?
Thx,
Jay

That's the same one I have, except mines wired. Works awesome-perfect at night.

As for the 3mph, it's more like once it hits 2mph, it shuts off. So, if you keep it at 1mph, you OK. Unfortunately, 1 mph is too slow-even for backing up.

JayCo59
02-12-2010, 05:51 PM
That's the same one I have, except mines wired. Works awesome-perfect at night.

Do you have the part number for the "wired" version? I can't seem to find a wired version that has the A/B switch that the wireless one I was planning on using has.
Thx

JayCo59
02-12-2010, 06:14 PM
One of the nice things with the JHP auto-reversing system w/PnP video+audio cables is that it allows for the integration of a DVD player (or any other video source) just like you describe. When you put the car in reverse the switch automatically switches the radio from whatever source it is on (radio, XM, etc.) to the back-up camera... then back to that source when you are out of reverse. You can also press the AUX button on the radio to switch to the 2nd source of audio/video (ie. DVD player). I have my iPod connected in this way.

I can't disagree that the JHP solution is nice and the auto swithing is cool but they want around $500.00 for the complete kit and it doesn't even include the camera (~ another $100)!

My proposed solution is $150 for the wireless camera (which includes the auto A/B Switching when I go into reverse) and the Aux 2 input wire harness is basicaly free (not including my labor) using samples. I don't have a problem with manually switching the system to Aux 2 to see the back-up camera and I understand the video will cut-out at basicaly any normal reverse speed, but I guess I can't justify the cost for all the other features that the JPH solution offers.
For me Cheap wins over functionality! Maybe after I wire up my solution I'll see the "folly of my ways" but for now (IMHO) I can't justify the cost of the JHP solution.

Jay

Wag 42
02-12-2010, 08:50 PM
Do you have the part number for the "wired" version? I can't seem to find a wired version that has the A/B switch that the wireless one I was planning on using has.
Thx

It's the VTL420-got if off ebay for about $80 delivered...

JayCo59
02-13-2010, 08:17 AM
It's the VTL420-got if off ebay for about $80 delivered...

Thx for the P/N.
Follow-up question...
I can't seem to get a complete description for the VTL420. Does it include an Automatic A/B switch like the VTX420 does (http://www.visiontechamerica.com/products/wireless_camera_system/vtx420.html)? I want to be able to see a second video input (automatically) when I switch out of reverse gear (say into Park). The description for the VTX420 shows a "receiver" with a set of RCA jacks that will except a second video source that becomes active when you switch out of reverse. Does the VTL420 have the same thing?
Thx,
Jay