PDA

View Full Version : Best GPS for Trim Package Mod

JayCo59
02-10-2010, 08:00 AM
There were some discussions on this in the original Thread, but I wanted to have a more detailed discussion on this topic as there may be features on some GPS's that I'm not aware of.
I understand there are physical issue that requires a specific size and external connectors could interfere with the mounting straps and you need to be able to control all aspects of the device by the screen. But beyond that we have so many potential units to choose from.
My research has gotten me to the Garmin Nuvi 265WT or possible the 285WT.
But maybe others have had luck with other manufacturers or other models.
Thx,
Jay

08G8V8
02-10-2010, 09:14 AM
I've got the Garmin 765T. I had a Garmin 760 but it crapped out on me. I wanted a unit that has bluetooth for handsfree calling.

TCorzett
02-10-2010, 12:35 PM
I have the 755T... didn't want the Bluetooth from the higher models, but wanted the ability to program in custom routes and FM traffic updating. It required modification of the JHP bracket, but I don't think modification would be needed with CP's. Some of the newer Garmin models (1xxx stuff) would probably work as well, but I don't know for sure.

What I really want to see is the EcoRoute ESP (http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-31066_7-10390928-267.html?tag=mncol;title) (ODBII integration) that was talked about at SEMA.

-Todd...

JayCo59
02-10-2010, 04:07 PM
I have the 755T... didn't want the Bluetooth from the higher models, but wanted the ability to program in custom routes and FM traffic updating. It required modification of the JHP bracket, but I don't think modification would be needed with CP's. Some of the newer Garmin models (1xxx stuff) would probably work as well, but I don't know for sure.

What I really want to see is the EcoRoute ESP (http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-31066_7-10390928-267.html?tag=mncol;title) (ODBII integration) that was talked about at SEMA.

-Todd...

Todd,
That ESP unit looks way cool! Maybe I'll wait for that?
Jay

silver6.0L
02-10-2010, 05:40 PM
I've also got the Garmin 765T and it works great.

catalina421
02-10-2010, 06:03 PM
i have a garmin nuvi 205 its real thin that i think will work, i thinks its the series that is meant to fit the one jhp sells.

JayCo59
02-14-2010, 04:11 PM
I found another GPS system that integrates OBDII called DashDAQ and it's available now, but pricey.
Check it out.
url removed, see update below.
Jay

Additional Info:
DashDAQ Series II Technical Specs

Display - 4.3” COLOR TFT w/touch panel
Resolution - 480 x 272 (QWVGA) w 24-bit color display
System Processor - 240MHZ ARM9
Vehicle Bus Processor - 48MHZ ARM7
RAM - 64MB SDRAM
Flash - 32MB Flash
Memory Expansion - MMC/SD Card 128MB to 32GB+
Device I/O
- touch-panel, ambient light sensor, 16-bit stereo line-out, 1W speaker, USB device port, programmable button
Vehicle I/O
- CAN, J1850VPW (GM Class 2), J1850PWM (Ford SCP), ISO9141, KWP2000
Expansion I/O
- (2) USB Host Ports, (2) RS232 Ports, (2) 0-5V 10-bit analog inputs
Add-on sensors
- Blackline GPS (up to 20HZ), Innovate MTS Bus products, 0-5V Wideband O2 Sensors, NMEA GPS, USB 3-axis Accelerometer, USB K-Type Thermocouple

Parameters Available
Over 2000. See Vehicle list HERE and accessory list HERE
Operating temperature
-35 to 85C

Operating voltage - 6 to 30V
Current Draw - 200mA at 100% backlight
Low Power Mode - YES
Dimensions - 5” x 3” x 1”
Weight - 0.5LB
Operating System - Linux
Warranty - factory tested with 1 year warranty
Other Features
- Real Time Clock, locking connectors, factory tested, field upgradeable firmware
Mounting Pattern
- AMPS 4-HOLE standard
Package Contents
- DashDAQ, Vehicle Cable, USB Cable, Windshield Pedestal, CD-ROM, users manual

2/16/2010 - UPDATE...

Don't bother with this product, The company is owned by one Guy and he's a real loser (I want to say worse but I'm trying to keep it civil). I asked him for some info on the unit and he came back with a very short and minimal answer. When I complained that I would have hoped that he would have been more responsive he refered to me as an A--hole and told me to go bother someone else. So much for customer support!

gearhead455
02-14-2010, 05:02 PM
I got the Delphi NAV300 it has blue tooth calling too,I used low tech velcro in front of the cubby and the cord stows behind when not in use,I will get the cord hardwired eventually.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h309/bluesman455/radarPete008.jpg

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h309/bluesman455/radarPete007.jpg

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h309/bluesman455/radarPete009.jpg

JayCo59
02-15-2010, 03:38 PM
I got the Delphi NAV300 it has blue tooth calling too,I used low tech velcro in front of the cubby and the cord stows behind when not in use,I will get the cord hardwired eventually.

I like your low-tech velcro solution, I was thinking of "rigging" a metal bracket that would secure the GPS to the back of the cubby and run the power through a hole I'll drill in the rear of the cubby. I realize this solution is not as "professional" looking as the in-dash mod but it will be a whole lot cheaper! And you have access to all the side and rear USB/SD connetors and allows for just about any GPS\Diag device to go in that area.
Jay

BlueJacket
02-15-2010, 03:46 PM
I like your low-tech velcro solution, I was thinking of "rigging" a metal bracket that would secure the GPS to the back of the cubby and run the power through a hole I'll drill in the rear of the cubby. I realize this solution is not as "professional" looking as the in-dash mod but it will be a whole lot cheaper! And you have access to all the side and rear USB/SD connetors and allows for just about any GPS\Diag device to go in that area.
Jay

If you do that you will not need to drill a hole. The top of the cubby is open so you can run the power cord out of there and into the area behind the radio.

Also I had my GPS "rigged" up that way before getting the trim from Paul and it worked ok but was a real pain to keep an eye on it while driving.

JayCo59
02-15-2010, 07:05 PM
If you do that you will not need to drill a hole. The top of the cubby is open so you can run the power cord out of there and into the area behind the radio.

Also I had my GPS "rigged" up that way before getting the trim from Paul and it worked ok but was a real pain to keep an eye on it while driving.

We're talking about the upper cubby (is there a more correct name for that open space above the radio?) not the lower one with the power plug. I had to go out to my car to see again that there wasn't an opening on the upper cubby. You had me going for a minute! Unless your car is different then mine.
Jay

BlueJacket
02-15-2010, 07:08 PM
We're talking about the upper cubby (is there a more correct name for that open space above the radio?) not the lower one with the power plug. I had to go out to my car to see again that there wasn't an opening on the upper cubby. You had me going for a minute! Unless your car is different then mine.
Jay

Sorry did not notice that you have a 09 and when I read cubby I was only thinking about the lower one.

gearhead455
02-15-2010, 08:13 PM
My bad, I should have said..."The hole above the radio" lol

JayCo59
02-16-2010, 10:26 AM
My bad, I should have said..."The hole above the radio" lol

I've been called worse! ;)