02-08-2010, 10:44 AM
Get it from these guys for even less:
http://www.theaudiofactory.com.au/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=133

-Ray-
02-08-2010, 11:08 AM
So show us.

Wag 42
02-08-2010, 11:25 AM
Yeah, I checked into this before. Once you pay for it ($252.27), the shipping (airmail-$23.75) and GST ($27.60), it's around $303.

Then send it back for $50 refund, less shipping (roughly $10)-that's what it cost me to send something back to China of comparable size (bubble envelope). It probably costs more to ship to Australia-I really don't know.

So you get it for around $263, or JHP for $297 ($387 less $90 returnable cables).

There is hopefully a group buy going on from JHP on the ($40 off), so it would be less thru them ($257).

Wag 42
02-08-2010, 11:35 AM
$12.78 to Australia thru USPS-small box.

BlueJacket
02-08-2010, 11:45 AM
Yeah, I checked into this before. Once you pay for it ($252.27), the shipping (airmail-$23.75) and GST ($27.60), it's around $303.

Then send it back for $50 refund, less shipping (roughly $10)-that's what it cost me to send something back to China of comparable size (bubble envelope). It probably costs more to ship to Australia-I really don't know.

So you get it for around $263, or JHP for $297 ($387 less $90 returnable cables).

There is hopefully a group buy going on from JHP on the ($40 off), so it would be less thru them ($257).

But JHP sucks, when it comes time that I need a VIM I would gladly pay the same or more just so I don't have to buy it from them. But a lower priced option would be nice (hint hint C White).:poke:

Wag 42
02-08-2010, 11:48 AM
I know-I hear ya. I'd rather buy it from anyone than JHP...

C. White-FTW!!!!

Wag 42
02-08-2010, 12:29 PM
Funny-I just got a somewhat rude PM from "Monaro" on the other board.

Anyway, he did point out this VIM is specific for Holdens VE-not G8's. So it probably would not work.

However, they do have G8 specific ones-limited to stock on hand only.

Also noticed the thread has been deleted.

BlueJacket
02-08-2010, 12:38 PM
Funny-I just got a somewhat rude PM from "Monaro" on the other board.

Anyway, he did point out this VIM is specific for Holdens-not G8's. So it probably would not work.

Also noticed the thread has been deleted.

Someone from JHP being rude? No way, that is really hard to believe. :popo:

I also find it funny that they sell replacement Atari unites that are specific to Holdens too but that has never stop them from pretending they are not. :jerkoff:

GT G8
02-08-2010, 01:19 PM
But JHP sucks, when it comes time that I need a VIM I would gladly pay the same or more just so I don't have to buy it from them.

I know-I hear ya. I'd rather buy it from anyone than JHP

Can I ask why you guys wouldn't buy from JHP? I've never bought anything before from them. There site seemed alright. So what gives?

GeoffA
02-08-2010, 01:30 PM
Can I ask why you guys wouldn't buy from JHP? I've never bought anything before from them. There site seemed alright. So what gives?

Pricey, and they always say something wont work so you have to buy their own...

Wag 42
02-08-2010, 01:36 PM
I don't care for their arrogance. Not to mention if anyone ever posts some type of alternative (like this thread), they'll get the other board to shut it down-and that is what happened to this thread over there.

I know many people have had great service with them-it's just my personal preference not to deal with them

BlueJacket
02-08-2010, 01:54 PM
GT G8 - What the guys above me have said, plus some of their products are junk and I have also had personal run ins with them that have been played out on this and the other board.

jnak
02-08-2010, 06:17 PM
They are rude and arrogant, and their VIM is overpriced, but it works. I have the reverse switching one, and I find that about 5% of the time the reverse switching does not work. Or it takes 30 seconds to switch, but by then I'm done backing up.

-Ray-
02-08-2010, 07:31 PM
My point to this thread was I wanted the op to show his video. Otherwise I was going to remove this thread.
If Jnak says it's the same thing it'll stay.

jnak
02-09-2010, 06:31 AM
They are not the same. The one the OP posted seems to plug in to the OBDII port, while the JHP one that I have taps in to the harness coming off the radio.

GXPaycheck
02-09-2010, 11:16 AM
Never had a prob with JHP and they have gone out of their way to help when I screwed up. I would love lower prices, but without a competitive market it is what it is. I will shop both them and CP. Both have helped me a lot with my car.

Just my humble opinion.

My VIM works fine, although it does burp on occasion. Back up switch probably. I just put it back in park, wait a sec, then back to reverse. Works fine.

TCorzett
02-09-2010, 02:15 PM
I'm a huge fan of competition, which is why I buy from both JHP and CP. I'm not a fan of the 'dictatorship' that lives on the other board regarding this competition. The only issues that I've had with JHP have been regarding returning emails, but it was frustrating (and I can only imagine if it had been regarding a QC/CS issue).

As for the effectiveness of the JHP VIM... it's a flash of the head unit, so it has been 100% effective. The Back-up switch does have a glitch maybe 2-3%, but it's never really been that big of an issue... it doesn't 'stick' that way, and will work if I wait or put it back into park. It's far less glitchy than other aftermarket stereo products that I've used (AuxPod iPod integration) in the past.

They are not the same. The one the OP posted seems to plug in to the OBDII port, while the JHP one that I have taps in to the harness coming off the radio.

I wonder if the Oz vehicles have the ODBII port on the left or right side. If it's on the right side, then maybe the connector from the radio is somehow integrated into the ODBII.

As it is in the US model, I don't think this product work work without additional work/development. It may be as simple as a re-wire (eg. making a ODBII to US radio splice/connector), but it seems like more work for not much savings.

-Todd...

Ktlplxm
02-09-2010, 02:24 PM
I don't have a problem with their pricing so much as I do there lack of effort in answering questions and getting a product out

GTPprix
02-09-2010, 02:26 PM
VIM you say eh? Hrmm...

GeoffA
02-09-2010, 02:33 PM
VIM you say eh? Hrmm...

Don't say you can do this too? Cause if you could that would be the SHIT and you'd be the man!

GeoffA
02-09-2010, 02:37 PM

And The JHP VIM plugs into the OBD port also

Stolen Pic

http://www.jhp.com.au/g8partsdirect/InteriorAccessories/VIMG8-h.jpg

GXPaycheck
02-09-2010, 03:49 PM
VIM you say eh? Hrmm...

This one has to be on your to-do list somewhere, Chris!

Crazy Paul
02-09-2010, 03:52 PM
I wonder if the Oz vehicles have the ODBII port on the left or right side. If it's on the right side, then maybe the connector from the radio is somehow integrated into the ODBII.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/Instructions/DLC_04.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/Instructions/DLC1_03.jpg

confused2much
02-09-2010, 03:55 PM
This one has to be on your to-do list somewhere, Chris!

Hope so, this is one mod I wouldn't have to convince the wife to do as she was asking about this already. I would love to have a better price though HINT HINT.

jnak
02-09-2010, 08:43 PM
And The JHP VIM plugs into the OBD port also

Stolen Pic

http://www.jhp.com.au/g8partsdirect/InteriorAccessories/VIMG8-h.jpg

Fair enough. The auto-reverse switch unit is different than that one.

Belo
02-10-2010, 07:04 AM
this seems all to familiar (zzp vs intense). One board hating the other, another board censoring another (vender fees etc, makes sense).

We need the Jesus of Automobiles (c. white) to close the issue for good with a cheap fix.

rez0nance
02-10-2010, 08:10 AM
VIM you say eh? Hrmm...

Damned tease!!! LOL :banana:

We need the Jesus of Automobiles (c. white) to close the issue for good with a cheap fix.

LMAO, first I compare him to Tiger Woods, now you call him Jesus, this shit's going to get to his head for sure.

GTPprix
02-10-2010, 08:48 AM
LOL! Ok so here is the scoop, I started looking at the radio firmware actually last week its pretty well protected compared to other modules in the car. IF I do this it will be a ship in service only IE you ship in the radio I'll program it and ship it back. If you guys want it at a considerably cheaper price this is how it has to be unfortunately.

Ideally I'd like to see a radio WITH VIM so I can see where the difference in the segments lies. I have a feeling the change is actually a few registers in the configuration area but without anything to compare to I've got nothing to direct me where to look.

616 of 933
02-10-2010, 09:14 AM
I found a place the will do a group buy. But need to be a vendor to post and I dont have a resale ID to be a dealer

r33pwrd
02-10-2010, 09:55 AM
LOL! Ok so here is the scoop, I started looking at the radio firmware actually last week its pretty well protected compared to other modules in the car. IF I do this it will be a ship in service only IE you ship in the radio I'll program it and ship it back. If you guys want it at a considerably cheaper price this is how it has to be unfortunately.

Ideally I'd like to see a radio WITH VIM so I can see where the difference in the segments lies. I have a feeling the change is actually a few registers in the configuration area but without anything to compare to I've got nothing to direct me where to look.

So not understanding CAN that much... does the connection to the radio just have a "speed sensor" or is this the same path they are running the AC controls through as well?

GTPprix
02-10-2010, 10:41 AM
So not understanding CAN that much... does the connection to the radio just have a "speed sensor" or is this the same path they are running the AC controls through as well?
Not exactly the headunit monitors the vehicle speed frame thats passed along the SWCAN (LS) line and cuts the video output above the programmed speed.

616 of 933
02-10-2010, 10:51 AM
Not exactly the headunit monitors the vehicle speed frame thats passed along the SWCAN (LS) line and cuts the video output above the programmed speed.

can it just be changed to say 90 MPH?

GTPprix
02-10-2010, 10:58 AM
can it just be changed to say 90 MPH?

I'm not sure how the defeat is setup yet it may be a 1/0 on off or a MPH (probably KPH actually) value.

r33pwrd
02-10-2010, 11:04 AM

so does the swcan have any other operation? if you cut the wire would you get a fault code? Would you loose other "features"?

GTPprix
02-10-2010, 11:05 AM
so does the swcan have any other operation? if you cut the wire would you get a fault code? Would you loose other "features"?

SW can is the entire interior control bus, nothing would work. If it was as simple as a wirecut I'm sure that would have been suggested :)

r33pwrd
02-10-2010, 11:09 AM
SW can is the entire interior control bus, nothing would work. If it was as simple as a wirecut I'm sure that would have been suggested :)

I figured as much :)

I guess I was wondering if the can to the head unit was simply an "arm".. again I understand how canbus works (the basics) but beyond that I dont know shit about it :)

Belo
02-10-2010, 11:19 AM
Damned tease!!! LOL :banana:

LMAO, first I compare him to Tiger Woods, now you call him Jesus, this shit's going to get to his head for sure.

is being compared to tiger woods still a good thing? lol.

GeoffA
02-10-2010, 11:24 AM

Sweet! Now we need someone with it to send one to you. Once you get it figured out I'm in!

GTPprix
02-10-2010, 11:55 AM
I figured as much :)

I guess I was wondering if the can to the head unit was simply an "arm".. again I understand how canbus works (the basics) but beyond that I dont know shit about it :)

Well techinically its an arm of sorts and I shouldnt have said nothing will work, the HVAC wont work LOL There would be a bunch of errors ect just in general a bad idea to sever a CAN line of any sort.

rez0nance
02-10-2010, 11:56 AM
is being compared to tiger woods still a good thing? lol.

Exactly. :)

r33pwrd
02-10-2010, 02:33 PM
Well techinically its an arm of sorts and I shouldnt have said nothing will work, the HVAC wont work LOL There would be a bunch of errors ect just in general a bad idea to sever a CAN line of any sort.

OK that answers my original thought... this can line does more than just a speed signal.

I wonder how it physically shuts off the display?

r33pwrd
02-10-2010, 02:40 PM
Im still trying to figure out why Holden ever put this feature on a car without a video system?? Seriously why make things harder than they should be?

Posidon42
02-10-2010, 06:20 PM
I will send you my radio if you want it. It doesn't have the VIM but count me in for a mail-in programming. My car is sitting in the driveway and won't be driven until it warms up.

MaxPower
02-10-2010, 07:35 PM
Subscribing for sure. :cheers:

Black_Ice
02-10-2010, 07:39 PM
I'll send you my stock radio to look at / reprogram
also .

r1owner
02-13-2010, 06:34 PM
Chris, I'd pay more to buy it from an American! :)

r1owner
02-13-2010, 11:04 PM
The other thing if my memory serves me correctly...

Isn't the unit that JHP selling made by the dude that JHP was calling out when it first came out? Something like JHP said the dude didn't know what he was talking about and how it could ruin the G8... then JHP becomes the official distributer of said product?

Wag 42
02-13-2010, 11:08 PM
Chris, I'd pay more to buy it from an American! :)

Agree 100%...

Laid GP
02-14-2010, 06:39 AM
Ha, I found this post because I asked on the other board why no one else had figured out how to do VIM besides JHP. JHP said there were no other alternatives and then several people called BS on him and he told them they were full of it. Ignited a little shit storm by accident.

I'm interested to see how this plays out - anyone around here actually ordered this yet?

GTPprix
02-14-2010, 08:49 AM
The other thing if my memory serves me correctly...

Isn't the unit that JHP selling made by the dude that JHP was calling out when it first came out? Something like JHP said the dude didn't know what he was talking about and how it could ruin the G8... then JHP becomes the official distributer of said product?

100% correct and it IS the same unit used on the VE commodore, the first guy that tested it here (after being told it wouldnt work) posted it worked just fine ;) Anyone see a parallel here to another product they claim to know everything about? ;)

BlueJacket
02-14-2010, 09:21 AM
100% correct and it IS the same unit used on the VE commodore, the first guy that tested it here (after being told it wouldnt work) posted it worked just fine ;) Anyone see a parallel here to another product they claim to know everything about? ;)

:shf:

r1owner
02-14-2010, 09:56 AM
:shf:

Quoting just cause that is the coolest smilie EVAR!

zepcom
02-14-2010, 11:46 AM
Chris, you never cease to amaze me with the projects that you take on.

Subscribed, and I'll be on the list to have this done on my radio as well. :headbang:

BlueJacket
02-14-2010, 01:18 PM
Just an FYI do not post anything at all about this on g8board unless you want your post deleted. I have made 2 very veg posts about there being a new VIM coming soon and both of them have been deleted with no reason given. Got to love it when a board is in the bag for one sponsor.

Edit:
BTW I just post for the 3rd time the following. "there will be cheaper VIM coming soon and hopefully the price gouging will end."

How long do you think it will last this time? lol

Wag 42
02-14-2010, 01:46 PM
Just an FYI do not post anything at all about this on g8board unless you want your post deleted. I have made 2 very veg posts about there being a new VIM coming soon and both of them have been deleted with no reason given. Got to love it when a board is in the bag for one sponsor.

Edit:
BTW I just post for the 3rd time the following. "there will be cheaper VIM coming soon and hopefully the price gouging will end."

How long do you think it will last this time? lol

Yeah, I have been watching that-pretty pathetic. Probably has already been deleted.

On a side note, I emailed the audio factory because I saw they sell a backup camera kit for the G8. When I looked at the pictures, low and behold it shows the VIM with auto switch like JHP sells. I asked if they just sell that switch and how much. I post when I hear back.

For anyone who is interested, here is a link to the G8 specific VIM (not Holden one)...

http://www.theaudiofactory.com.au/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=134

Here is a link to the G8 backup camera kit which shows the auto switch...

http://www.theaudiofactory.com.au/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=136

Crazy Paul
02-14-2010, 02:18 PM
I think you'll find The Audio Factory advertising those units on ebay.com.au

Don't bother contacting No Limits Electronics in Melbourne because they won't sell directly to the USA public or for use by the USA public, they have an exclusive deal going with the aforementioned Vendor on the other site.

r1owner
02-14-2010, 04:43 PM
Wow, seriously... he just took his ball and went home? Does anyone know who this dude is? What a fucking baby.

It looks like you have at least 8 or 9 potential customers right outta the gate Chris! ;)

r1owner
02-14-2010, 04:49 PM
Uh oh.... I may have overdone it!

From the "other" board
Originally Posted by cazzanomix
dun dun dunnnnn

Me"
Man, you're pushing it, that's not pertinent to this thread, or a boost to JHP's massive ego, so I sure hope you don't get a vacation for that.

Crazy Paul
02-14-2010, 04:51 PM
The Mods over there just cut 2 full pages of shit out of that thread.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/crap/jhpcustomerservice_04.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/gifs/hitsfan.gif

BlueJacket
02-14-2010, 04:55 PM
I just posted the following.

"I would like to know why my posts keep getting deleted. If I have violated a rule please tell me, so I stop doing it.

People that missed out on the group buy hang in there there is cheaper VIM coming down the road. "

Bet this one gets deleted to with no reason given. lol

BlueJacket
02-14-2010, 04:57 PM
The Mods over there just cut 2 full pages of shit out of that thread.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/crap/jhpcustomerservice_04.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/gifs/hitsfan.gif

That's what they always do, got to make sure they clean up JHPs messes for them.

r1owner
02-14-2010, 04:57 PM
What a joke... is the dude that runs that company like 10 years old or something?

TCorzett
02-14-2010, 05:20 PM
I have worked with JHP in the past on several projects with zero issues... but the more I read about the actions taken on the other board, it makes me not want to work with them in the future. It's one thing to discourage bad-talk about someone (sponsor or not) in a non-relevant thread, but going as far as deleting discussions about alternative solutions/products is just wrong.

-Todd...

Laid GP
02-14-2010, 06:24 PM
They even deleted my post which only asked if there was another alternative out there. No sponsor bashing or complaining about prices or anything else.

r1owner
02-14-2010, 06:28 PM
I have worked with JHP in the past on several projects with zero issues... but the more I read about the actions taken on the other board, it makes me not want to work with them in the future. It's one thing to discourage bad-talk about someone (sponsor or not) in a non-relevant thread, but going as far as deleting discussions about alternative solutions/products is just wrong.

-Todd...

You can't really blame JHP for them editing/removing posts. That's the moderators just doing their job. But JHP's overall attitude IMO is terrible.

polo
02-14-2010, 06:41 PM
I've heard about them deleting posts over there, but this is just ridiculous.
BlackBerry8310/4.5.0.110 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102

TooManyHobbies
02-14-2010, 06:58 PM
JHP = Just High Priced, and behave like children to boot.

ratsrats
02-14-2010, 07:04 PM
They also deleted my info. There is a USA mfg. VIM kit available from
Navtv.com for our cars.Unfortunately their price appears to be higher.
We might see if they would be open to a group purchase.

BlueJacket
02-14-2010, 07:06 PM
I just posted the following.

"I would like to know why my posts keep getting deleted. If I have violated a rule please tell me, so I stop doing it.

People that missed out on the group buy hang in there there is cheaper VIM coming down the road. "

Bet this one gets deleted to with no reason given. lol

lol this time they did not delete my post just removed the following "People that missed out on the group buy hang in there there is a cheaper VIM coming down the road."

And I got a PM from the mod saying " Stop bashing our sponsors for no reason"

lol

pokey
02-14-2010, 07:38 PM
:watch:

Funny chit! Does seem / feel like a high mark up on these solutions from the dudes down under. I would think about purchasing if there was a more local solution. Pay more if it was something I really wanted.

PMD G8
02-14-2010, 07:50 PM
You can't really blame JHP for them editing/removing posts. That's the moderators just doing their job. But JHP's overall attitude IMO is terrible.

+1, I can understand them editing posts and deleting non sponsored competetors links, but deleting entire posts/pages is just crazy.

PMD G8
02-14-2010, 07:59 PM
lol this time they did not delete my post just removed the following "People that missed out on the group buy hang in there there is a cheaper VIM coming down the road."

And I got a PM from the mod saying " Stop bashing our sponsors for no reason"

lol

Which mod was that. I think the main problem is a few of the whimpy ass mods that don't stand up to their BS.

r33pwrd
02-14-2010, 08:02 PM
Like JHP or not the fact is if you dont like his price move on! I never understand people that get mad about a price? No one is making you buy it!

I have bought from him and he was fine... but it does sound like alot of people try to get him fired up.

PMD G8
02-14-2010, 08:03 PM
Like JHP or not the fact is if you dont like his price move on! I never understand people that get mad about a price? No one is making you buy it!

I have bought from him and he was fine... but it does sound like alot of people try to get him fired up.

AND, it's his fault for not being able to handle it in an adult manner.

r1owner
02-14-2010, 08:22 PM
Yeah, I understand the price.... I just think he's a dick.

Wag 42
02-14-2010, 09:39 PM
Maybe it's just me but I find it funny they deleted my post, yet didn't delete Monaro's post which quoted my post that was deleted.

The irony is I stated:

There are other companies (to buy VIM from). But, if you mention them, your posts get deleted.

PMD G8
02-15-2010, 08:03 AM
I deleted my last post about the threats. Thanks for getting up with me on that. I appreciate it.

r33pwrd
02-15-2010, 08:09 AM
AND, it's his fault for not being able to handle it in an adult manner.

im not going to argue that... but it does get old that people keep hounding him on price.

Laid GP
02-15-2010, 08:33 AM
I don't think the issue in that thread was price. The issue was that when I posted and asked if there were other alternatives (sheerly out of interest in what products are out there) Monaro chimes in and says NOPE. Someone calls BS on him and it turns into a big argument.

Monaro saw my post over here and sent me a PM about it over there. I told him I didn't have any problem with him, that I wasn't saying I was not going to buy his product, just that I like to do research into what is out there.

And that's the absolute truth. If he has the best product out there to do VIM, then that is the product I will end up going with. I hate that it has turned into such a ridiculous thing, but I don't think that calling his bluff about there not being another product counts as "sponsor bashing."

These forums are for information, and it seems like the information you get over there is a little skewed unless it involves one of their sponsoring vendors.

I've run forums in the past and I've also had deals about not bashing sponsors - but it was when people came in that had beef with a certain shop and said "they do crap work" etc because it was a personal thing.

But this looks to me like JHP has contributed a big amount of money to the forums over there - which is fine - but now they get to dictate what is the truth and what isn't.

Honestly, if I hadn't been involved with that thread I really would not have known there were other options out there. Like I said I'm not out there for the cheapest thing I'm out there for the best solution... and I think it's wrong for any reason to deny that other options exist. Maybe "Sure, someone else makes one but they aren't a sponsor here, find it yourself" would have sufficed. But for the mods and admins there to support this silly farce that no other product exists when it clearly does, that just seems a little off to me.

jkayner
02-15-2010, 08:41 AM
I agree that guys seems like a douche. In the beginning if he would have just explained everything up front when people were asking about the group buy, none of this would have blown up. A reasonable intelligent person could just have said.

"We do not make this product, only distribute it and do not make alot of money from the sale, therefore a reduced price is not possible. We appreciate your interest, but a group buy will not be possible."

instead he acted like a jerk, and IMO, brought the backlash on himself.

to me, it seems like he was trying to find a weasel way out of it (if 30 orders can be done in 2-3 weeks). I bet if 30 people were in they still wouldn't have done it.

PMD G8
02-15-2010, 10:04 AM
im not going to argue that... but it does get old that people keep hounding him on price.

Oh, I feel the same way. That constant back and forth is just stupid. However I don't think the mods necessarily need to go and delete posts that simply state, "there is another option." Really don't see where that is a violation.

mi04se1
02-15-2010, 10:46 AM
I just mentioned the audiofactory with no link being only $20 cheaper, but with the GB, JHP would be cheaper and shipping would be easier. And my post got deleted.

Crazy Paul
02-15-2010, 11:32 AM
I don't think the issue in that thread was price. The issue was that when I posted and asked if there were other alternatives (sheerly out of interest in what products are out there) Monaro chimes in and says NOPE. Someone calls BS on him and it turns into a big argument.

Monaro saw my post over here and sent me a PM about it over there. I told him I didn't have any problem with him, that I wasn't saying I was not going to buy his product, just that I like to do research into what is out there.

And that's the absolute truth. If he has the best product out there to do VIM, then that is the product I will end up going with. I hate that it has turned into such a ridiculous thing, but I don't think that calling his bluff about there not being another product counts as "sponsor bashing."

These forums are for information, and it seems like the information you get over there is a little skewed unless it involves one of their sponsoring vendors.

I've run forums in the past and I've also had deals about not bashing sponsors - but it was when people came in that had beef with a certain shop and said "they do crap work" etc because it was a personal thing.

But this looks to me like JHP has contributed a big amount of money to the forums over there - which is fine - but now they get to dictate what is the truth and what isn't.

Honestly, if I hadn't been involved with that thread I really would not have known there were other options out there. Like I said I'm not out there for the cheapest thing I'm out there for the best solution... and I think it's wrong for any reason to deny that other options exist. Maybe "Sure, someone else makes one but they aren't a sponsor here, find it yourself" would have sufficed. But for the mods and admins there to support this silly farce that no other product exists when it clearly does, that just seems a little off to me.

:cheers: Post of the Day.

fiveoh
02-15-2010, 11:41 AM

I'd be in for one for sure. Would driving the car with the radio out cause CE lights or other errors?

PMD G8
02-15-2010, 12:04 PM

I tryed explaining this too but instead I get ridiculed by their Mod RichnTexas and pretty much got told that I'll be banned if I continue to "Annoy" him. :loser: Not Monaro, but Rich. The guy really doesn't like me.

mi04se1
02-15-2010, 02:43 PM
My post got reinstated.

BlueJacket
02-15-2010, 03:09 PM
I tryed explaining this too but instead I get ridiculed by their Mod RichnTexas and pretty much got told that I'll be banned if I continue to "Annoy" him. :loser: Not Monaro, but Rich. The guy really doesn't like me.

I got the same PM. He told me that my posts were deleted because I was annoying others and that I will be banned for 7 days if I keep annoying people. I told him his PMs were annoying me and he should go ban himself and if annoying others is bannable then half of that board should be banned.

I am just going to stay away from there. I had not really posted there in 4 months and gave it another try only to have all of my post deleted for no reason.

PMD G8
02-15-2010, 04:49 PM
I got the same PM. He told me that my posts were deleted because I was annoying others and that I will be banned for 7 days if I keep annoying people. I told him his PMs were annoying me and he should go ban himself and if annoying others is bannable then half of that board should be banned.

I am just going to stay away from there. I had not really posted there in 4 months and gave it another try only to have all of my post deleted for no reason.

HE is the problem. Seriously, I have never had any problems with any of the other moderators on G8Board, EVER. Actually I have never had a problem with any moderators on ANY Forum, EVER.

What really ticks me off is he became a moderator after only being a member on there for 3 months, now he goes around acting like he is god.

Nice citation from ChiefPontiac BTW. :thumbsup:

PMD G8
02-15-2010, 04:59 PM
Seriously the guy doens't like people to voice their own opinions...

http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29424&page=6

BlueJacket
02-15-2010, 05:16 PM
HE is the problem. Seriously, I have never had any problems with any of the other moderators on G8Board, EVER. Actually I have never had a problem with any moderators on ANY Forum, EVER.

What really ticks me off is he became a moderator after only being a member on there for 3 months, now he goes around acting like he is god.

Nice citation from ChiefPontiac BTW. :thumbsup:

Really he is the only one I have had problems with. I have had a couple run ins with other mods on there but after PMing with them they end up being ok guys, but Rich is a dick. Just read some of the posts he makes and you will see that.

PMD G8
02-15-2010, 05:42 PM
So was he talking ot you or to me about being annoying and banning? He responded to my post with "banning" highlighted, but then sent you a PM calling you annoying, then suggested that I should try and become a mod? WTF?

Noticed he still hasn't responded to your last post.

BlueJacket
02-15-2010, 05:43 PM
So was he talking ot you or to me about being annoying and banning? He responded to my post with "banning" highlighted, but then sent you a PM calling you annoying, then suggested that I should try and become a mod? WTF?

I have no idea. lol

zepcom
02-16-2010, 05:20 AM
I'm late to the party in posting over here (plan on tipping the scales to prefer this board quite a bit more with all that JHP bullshit on the other board) ...

I at first was intrigued at the potential GB for that overpriced VIM product, but I pulled myself off the list when the :shf:. The mods deleted one of my posts on the VIM board stating such, but another one that I posted slipped through. I'll quote it over here (to ensure that my opinion of JHP lives on)

As per the thrashing on the other thread entitled "VIM" on this board...

If there still is a list out there, please remove me, as I am no longer interested in doing business with this "sponsor" considering how wonderful they treat people who have questions or blanket blame for one or two sour apples.

Not only is the VIM website so confusing as to what part is needed for what functionality, but it's clear that JHP has some other adjenda and really can't be bothered to put any effort into customer service.

Talk about immature. Monaro needs to learn how to gain customers by learning how to :playnice:

616 of 933
02-16-2010, 05:34 AM
They also deleted my info. There is a USA mfg. VIM kit available from
Navtv.com for our cars.Unfortunately their price appears to be higher.
We might see if they would be open to a group purchase.

I have contacted them and got a really good price but since i am not a dealer and cant be unless i get a resale ID and be a vendor there is little i can do. lets just say if 30 ordered it would be almost 1/2 off

J Wikoff
02-16-2010, 06:49 AM
1/2 off is about the price where I'd even consider buying something like this. Why is it so expensive to begin with?

ratsrats
02-16-2010, 06:53 AM
I just just emailed NAV-TV to get us a price and quanity requirement. Will
report when I hear from them. lol

ratsrats
02-16-2010, 07:36 AM
POSSIBLE VIM GROUP BUY
I just heard back from NAV-TV.com. Their kit #G8VIMKIT could be availble to us only as
a master purchase;ie-one address and one payment. The lady that emailed me is also a
G8 owner.
SHE priced us as follows: $299./10 units
$275/ 20 units
$250/ 30 units
I would think if one of us would take on the project one would have to charge the
3.3 % for paypay to collect the funds and approx.$6.00 to reship them via USPS.
A 20 unit order would work out to about $290. and a 30 unit deal $265. each.
This is slightly less the AUS.,but is made in the good old USA. Let me know what
you guys and gals think.

zepcom
02-16-2010, 07:38 AM
EDIT: I'm in.

Is this just for the VIM or do they have an auto-switch offering as well? I'm looking for something that would support a backup camera when the car is in reverse. Don't need to play playstation in the car.

f g8board and their policies :boxing:

Laid GP
02-16-2010, 07:44 AM
I'm interested, but I'd like to hear some first hand experience with how the unit works before I can commit 100%.

616 of 933
02-16-2010, 07:48 AM
those are the same prices i got. Also was told needed to be a vendor.

ratsrats
02-16-2010, 08:00 AM
HI 616,
She mentioned in her email that she had a similar recent inquiry and give
me has same deal. I guess as long as she ships to an out of Florida address a vendors
license wouldn't be a requirement?

616 of 933
02-16-2010, 08:19 AM
I was talking about here on the website

mi04se1
02-16-2010, 09:38 AM
Isnt that about the same price as JHP if you figure in Paypal fee and shipping? Im not knocking your idea, but has anyone had experience with nav-tv or tried a vim from them? We know the vim's work from JHP. I guess its personnel preference. Ill buy from whoever if I know it works.

PMD G8
02-16-2010, 10:02 AM
Isnt that about the same price as JHP if you figure in Paypal fee and shipping? Im not knocking your idea, but has anyone had experience with nav-tv or tried a vim from them? We know the vim's work from JHP. I guess its personnel preference. Ill buy from whoever if I know it works.

It's a little bit cheaper, JHP is $297 after core return for the basic VIM, however for a group of 30 JHP was going to offer it for $40 cheaper, $257 shipped...........

ratsrats
02-16-2010, 10:08 AM
I can't answer for their product,but they do have a forum at their Web
site. Please don't mention our group buy and or price as it will offend their customers that payed retail for their purchase ;probably from a dealer.
Also this is a VIM only. I guess BOYO makes a license plate camera assy.
that includes a auto backup switch,however you still must select REAR AUX.
on our head units to use any VIM function. I also believe the JHP unit
works this way.

TCorzett
02-16-2010, 11:41 AM
I guess BOYO makes a license plate camera assy.
that includes a auto backup switch,however you still must select REAR AUX.
on our head units to use any VIM function. I also believe the JHP unit
works this way.

The JHP unit with the auto back-up switch will change the head unit from whatever it is on (XM, CD, Radio, etc.) to Rear Aux when you put the car into reverse. It then returns you to whatever you were on when you change out of reverse. You do not need to touch the head unit for this to happen while backing-up. The 'standard' VIM w/o back-up switch would require you to manually press the Rear Aux on the head unit.

If the audio source you're typically listening to is the Rear Aux then you'd not need to touch anything (auto switch in camera would just happen), but I rarely find myself listening to Rear Aux (i need to buy more music for my iPod I guess).

-Todd...

mi04se1
02-16-2010, 02:36 PM
It's a little bit cheaper, JHP is $297 after core return for the basic VIM, however for a group of 30 JHP was going to offer it for $40 cheaper, $257 shipped...........

I would think if one of us would take on the project one would have to charge the
3.3 % for paypay to collect the funds and approx.$6.00 to reship them via USPS.
A 20 unit order would work out to about $290.[/B] and a 30 unit deal $265. each.
This is slightly less the AUS.,but is made in the good old USA. Let me know what
you guys and gals think.

looks the same unless you get 30.

ratsrats
02-16-2010, 02:48 PM

It just came to me.The NAV-TV unit is about $50. less than JHP when you
add in the fact that their a/v input is integrated in their unit,and not a
$47.00 add on accessory.The unit is also upgradable via it's usb port and
their web site- Navtv.com .

zepcom
02-17-2010, 05:59 AM

This is irrelevant -- JHP got their panties in a bunch and cancelled the group buy. No $40 discount. Way to go, Monaro. doh!:loser:

mi04se1
02-17-2010, 08:42 AM
It just came to me.The NAV-TV unit is about $50. less than JHP when you
add in the fact that their a/v input is integrated in their unit,and not a
$47.00 add on accessory.The unit is also upgradable via it's usb port and
their web site- Navtv.com .

I didnt know that. If thats the case, count me in.

mi04se1
02-17-2010, 09:58 AM
One question..... I was looking over the g8vim on nav tv's website, where do you plug in the audio rca's? They include the video plug and a harness that plugs into the radio harness. I think its cool you dont have to flash the radio, but if you cant get adio from it.....fail.

ratsrats
02-17-2010, 10:27 AM
One question..... I was looking over the g8vim on nav tv's website, where do you plug in the audio rca's? They include the video plug and a harness that plugs into the radio harness. I think its cool you dont have to flash the radio, but if you cant get adio from it.....fail.

Go to downloads on their site and lookup the VIMG8KIT manual.It is one
page with a nice large photo of the unit. From that photo you will see both
the video and the L&R audio input RCA's. You will also see the USB port and
included cable for uploading revisions.Installation instructions are also on
that page. lol

mi04se1
02-17-2010, 02:37 PM
I read the manual, maybe I over looked it.

ratsrats
02-17-2010, 05:26 PM
Here is The VIM.You will see the jacks in the picture and also line 13 mentions A/V inputs. Looks like a well engineered device.
lol

GTPprix
02-17-2010, 06:50 PM
The only problem with that setup is you'd lose your speed sensitive volume as well as your pollution mode other than that looks good!

ratsrats
02-18-2010, 03:34 AM
The only problem with that setup is you'd lose your speed sensitive volume as well as your pollution mode other than that looks good!

Chris,
Have you used one of these and also would you explain what a pollution mode is?

Crazy Paul
02-18-2010, 03:59 AM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/Instructions/poll_03.jpg

mi04se1
02-18-2010, 07:44 AM
I never used pollution control unless its on by default and I could care less about ssv.

jkayner
02-18-2010, 09:29 AM
I guess the main question is can we even do this deal if it requires 1 address/1payment? should we start a new thread and include a list of people who are interested?

Belo
02-18-2010, 10:23 AM
here's my question.

they make a product, but only sell it to vendors. so who are the vendors navtv sell to? Maybe they can get us a group buy and avoid one of us from buying a ton of these and dealing with the headache of trying to get their money/time back.

i really don't want to buy from jhp; never dealt with them, but really don't like their antics. carputer is being built as we speak and the only thing left to get is vim. been holding off in anticipation for an alternative.

including the cables is a nice bonus, but honestly you can make your own for $7. so...

mi04se1
02-18-2010, 12:26 PM
I got a pm from somebody directing me to this http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18640&highlight=pollution&page=2. Maybe I wont do this now.

StockG8
02-18-2010, 12:44 PM
Got nothing to do with VIM. My car did this about a week ago and I don't even have the VIM. It went away after I started the car up and shut her down with the radio off.

mi04se1
02-18-2010, 02:28 PM
Did you read the whole thread?

Laid GP
02-18-2010, 05:04 PM
I've in the past had my radio stay on because I was in the passenger side of the car and turned it on accessory, then got out. It turns off when you open the driver's door. I wonder if that's what he was doing? This is on a stock radio for what it's worth.

2008-IOM
09-19-2013, 05:04 PM
Hey Guys, sorry to resurrect this thread. I recently purchased my 08' GT and I'm currently doing research on the VIM upgrade. Is there still interest in this mod? I am an electrical engineer by trade and have 7 years of CANbus experience (J1939, CANopen, NMEA2000). I believe I have a fix for the speed problem that would make the unit usable as a VIM. How much are people willing to pay for this unit if it was supported in the US? I'm just trying to get a feel of the market.

BlackGT5
09-19-2013, 07:00 PM
A cheaper alternative is already available:

http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=23893&p=352526#post352526

-Ray-
09-20-2013, 01:34 AM
A cheaper alternative is already available:

http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=23893&p=352526#post352526

.....and he is a vendor!

2008-IOM
09-20-2013, 08:18 AM
Thanks Guys! Just trying to help the cause!